southsideirish71

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 7, 2005 -> 11:54 PM)
Two things:

1)  Do we know the crowds will be higher for this wknd, or is that speculation?

2)  Maybe the players should step back and realize how great the fan support has been for about two months now, and realize that maybe this was just a bad series for attendance?

i 100% guarantee we have 30+ fri-sun.

a MAJOR league team showing up, plus weekends = no school.

"they tell you in April that if you win, they will show up"

-We've already reached a pretty big milestone in ticket sales with several home games left right? Just checking.

"when we have a big crowd, it helps"

-Can someone pull up what our record is in games where the Cell has sold out?

I agree with what they're saying. It blows that there aren't more fans in the seats. They've got the best record in baseball. If they were playing s***ty and no fans were showing up and they whined about it, we'd all be saying "why should anyone pay to watch that crap?" I think it's a good sign that they feed off good crowds. They're paid no matter who shows up. So the only reason they're saying anything is because they want support from the fans. So what's wrong with that? I don't blame them, they deserve better, even against a s***ty Royals team. :bringit

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that players fall for being setup by these writers. They are so out of touch with reality with their salaries its sickening. If you've got a family of 4 and don't make around $100,000.yr. it's actually quite expensive to attend any sporting event. Tickets,gas, ballpark food, parking etc. take quite a chunk out of a paycheck. Also the Sox fanbase seems to be pretty young. Kids with the energy to travel to the ballpark don't have the cash or are back in school and the people with the cash don't appear to be Sox fans.

I would be willing to bet that the avg. Sox fan travels a lot farther to see the Sox play then the avg. Cub fan. Hence more time and money needs to be spent.

I agree with everyone as to the reasons why there are not bigger crowds especially because the sox fanbase isn't as well off as that of the cubs but, 1) you have to remember that they were probably asked direct questions about attendance and did not necessarily bring it up on their own and 2) i'm glad they feel strongly about having fans there because it means they give a s***. i think it would be worse if they said oh that's ok we don't care if there are fans here.

QUOTE(CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Sep 7, 2005 -> 11:34 PM)
I guess I shouldn't be surprised that players fall for being setup by these writers.

I believe this as well. They (media/players) may feel fan support is poor, especially in the midst of their winning streak, but for the next month this issue will be nonexistent. Attendance won't be an issue past tomorrow again during 2005.

Hopefully this topic will no longer become an distracting issue, because I'm f***ing tired of Bruce Levine complaining about the attendance and criticizing our fans for 15 minutes following a postgame show. Hell, I'm tired of him period. Could anyone have less chemistry on the air than Dolgin and Levine have for Chicago Baseball Tonight?

Edited by Flash Tizzle

The best part is how they said it helps them win...i'm too lazy too go crunch the numbers right now, but they aren't good in front of big crowds. Now, i realize those big crowds come against good teams...however, should you need a big crowd to motivate you to beat the crap out of lowly KC?

I also find it ironic that the players essentially started an attendance thread.

Just go play the damn game guys. There are a million reasons why people aren't there, and if you aren't buying them, then that's too bad. They aren't "excuses", they are legit reasons.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Sep 8, 2005 -> 12:51 AM)
The best part is how they said it helps them win...i'm too lazy too go crunch the numbers right now, but they aren't good in front of big crowds. Now, i realize those big crowds come against good teams...however, should you need a big crowd to motivate you to beat the crap out of lowly KC?

I also find it ironic that the players essentially started an attendance thread.

Just go play the damn game guys. There are a million reasons why people aren't there, and if you aren't buying them, then that's too bad. They aren't "excuses", they are legit reasons.

This is very, very disappointing to read these quotes. I expect nothing less from the Tribune. They will do anything to discredit something that competes with their interests. But the players and Ozzie should know better than to get caught up in this. It's not like the people quoted haven't been through all this. It sounds like Jerry Manuel revisited. It's obvious that these people have no idea what the hell it costs to go to a game. If you have a choice, why would you spend the cash on KC, the worst team in baseball? Maybe they think people have a lot of money to throw around, but I don't. I'm going to be in Chicago through the weekend and was excited about going to games, but now I'm thinking twice about spending all that money to watch ballplayers who don't appreciate the support Sox fans have shown this year. I'll go to one game, but I was going to try and make every game Fri-Sun. I already spent a s***load of money to see the team in Denver twice this year. Lot of other Sox fans in CO did too.

Just amazing how out of touch with reality Pro players are. Greedy, selfish, egotistical. Watch me, love me, adore me.

They just whooped up on the worst team in baseball by a 1 run margin in each game.

The only one who should be concerned about attendance is Jerry. It's entertainment folks and maybe the Sox do it with vanilla. I love the Sox, but some times it is equivalent to watching paint dry. But, wtf, I am an out of towner and just observing.

The contrast is stagering. If the Cubs were in this position, the team would be scalping tickets left and right through their ticket agency. It would be the month of sell outs. I have to read Konerko's comments and say he's right.

If the article bothers you, don't read it. Schools is back in and we are playing the friggin' Royals, the worst team in baseball. We are still on pace to average 25,000 this year, which is great for us. The game is won on the field not in this stand. This is proven by the fact that the Sox were playing horridly at homw with large crowds and better with small crowds. I suspect there is no correlation though.

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Sep 8, 2005 -> 05:51 AM)
If the article bothers you, don't read it.  Schools is back in and we are playing the friggin' Royals, the worst team in baseball.  We are still on pace to average 25,000 this year, which is great for us.  The game is won on the field not in this stand.  This is proven by the fact that the Sox were playing horridly at homw with large crowds and better with small crowds.  I suspect there is no correlation though.

Actually, they're averaging 28,000+ this year.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Sep 8, 2005 -> 06:48 AM)
The contrast is stagering. If the Cubs were in this position, the team would be scalping tickets left and right through their ticket agency. It would be the month of sell outs. I have to read Konerko's comments and say he's right.

As it's been said billions of times though, that didn't happen overnight. It's certainly not going to happen overnight here.

The Trib in the article today has this weekend drawing >30,000 for all three games and over 20,000 (I would hope this will continue to rise) for the Indians and Twins.

Using the Royals excuse I don't get. If I am going to a game I want to see a bad team so there is a greater chance my team will win.

I just hope they have a shot at clinching at home, should be another sell-out.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 7, 2005 -> 11:42 PM)
I wish Dusty....sorry, I meant Ozzie....and the rest of the team would shut up and play the game on the field.

Maybe since the fans were so busy telling Ozzie how to use his pen, Ozzie figured he would tell them to do their jobs and get the games?

Once again Sox fans are the biggest fair weather fans ever. They will use any excuse at anytime. I hate to say it but everyone of those quotes is right. Its one thing to draw 15,000 in April, its quite another to draw that in September with the best record in baseball.

Maybe since the fans were so busy telling Ozzie how to use his pen, Ozzie figured he would tell them to do their jobs and get the games?

Once again Sox fans are the biggest fair weather fans ever.  They will use any excuse at anytime.  I hate to say it but everyone of those quotes is right.  Its one thing to draw 15,000 in April, its quite another to draw that in September with the best record in baseball.

Agree. I do like what Pierzynski said though, he put things in perspective.

Sox fans are pretty quick to take player comments very personally too. The players quoted said they appreciate large crowds and it's disappointing to them when there are small crowds for a first place team. Practically any pro athlete would probably say the same thing. Not a big deal to me.

By the way the same story angle was mentioned in the Sun Times and Daily Herald too, so it's not just the Tribune slant.