Attendance crap

southsideirish71

For God Sake we are playing the Royals. If I was to choose to go to a game this week, it would not to see the lowly Royals.

The media is so fast to point out negatives about small crowds, but barely made a mention when we had huge crowds during the summer.

We must get over the fact that when School is is session, The weekday crowds are going to be small, just like in the Spring!!!

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Sep 8, 2005 -> 06:51 AM)
Maybe since the fans were so busy telling Ozzie how to use his pen, Ozzie figured he would tell them to do their jobs and get the games?

Once again Sox fans are the biggest fair weather fans ever.  They will use any excuse at anytime.  I hate to say it but everyone of those quotes is right.  Its one thing to draw 15,000 in April, its quite another to draw that in September with the best record in baseball.

I don't necessarily agree with this. IMO, the Sox have a smaller but more passionate fan base then most teams. At the beginning of the year all the casual baseball fans will automatically go to wrigley, now when the Sox start winning you'll see the casual fan shift to the cell and attendance goes up, a lot. That of course is jmo.

Obviously the crowds for KC have been very weak. It exposes the Sox small relatively small season ticket base. More people should be at the park, but on the other hand, the players shouldn't be commenting on attendance. Its going to be the 4th highest in franchise history. That and the fact that they haven't played all that well when the stadium has been packed should be enough for them not to comment.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Sep 8, 2005 -> 07:51 AM)
Once again Sox fans are the biggest fair weather fans ever.  They will use any excuse at anytime.  I hate to say it but everyone of those quotes is right.  Its one thing to draw 15,000 in April, its quite another to draw that in September with the best record in baseball.

Were you there last night?

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Sep 8, 2005 -> 08:52 AM)
Obviously the crowds for KC have been very weak. It exposes the Sox small relatively small season ticket base. More people should be at the park, but on the other hand, the players shouldn't be commenting on attendance. Its going to be the 4th highest in franchise history. That and the fact that they haven't played all that well when the stadium has been packed should be enough for them not to comment.

Fact is, alot of the sox fanbase is families. This is not the worlds largest beer garden, we have constructed our park to be kid friendly, and appeal to families. This is a great idea because it grooms sox fans for the future. But also its one of the first weeks of school, and we are playing the royals following a down month. So many factors will contribute to our low attendance the past few days. So what, we are still going to sell out all weekend.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Sep 7, 2005 -> 11:38 PM)
The stupid thing about this is we are going to break an attendance record this year. 

We are settig an attendance record this yr?? This is the record currently at this ballpark..2,934,154, I had heard Tuesday we just went over 2 million

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Sep 8, 2005 -> 09:07 AM)
Apparently I love seeing the Royals play...I was there Tuesday and I'll be there tonight.  I can't wait to see Mike Sweeney, and....and....um....Mike Sweeney.

Last night, tonight, tomorrow, and Sunday for us. And I don't really care who we're playing. Just get the W.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Sep 8, 2005 -> 09:11 AM)
I wasn't there, nobody was there.  Sox fans are fairweather fans, he is actually helping me prove my point.  I have my list of excuses just like any of the other 25,000 blue seats that were there last night.

Excuse you...

I wasn't there, nobody was there.  Sox fans are fairweather fans, he is actually helping me prove my point.  I have my list of excuses just like any of the other 25,000 blue seats that were there last night.

I always go to games...every year...This is my favorite chicago team...I am not fairweather....

I almost go to as many games as I financially and logistically can go to. I work full time, am currently taking review classes for the CPA exam, and have a slew of other activities that take up my time. To bulk all of the sox fandom as fair-weather is stupid. In all honesty there just isn't enough of us around to physically fill the seats. Season tickets have to increase (corporate seats especially) in order to consistently fill that park. If the white sox want to not have these problems they have to sell their seats at the corporate level which apparently they are NOT doing a good job of doing right now.

I'd appreciate if you revised your comments here. I'm sure you meant to say something like "many casual Sox fans are fairweather"...

QUOTE(Steff @ Sep 8, 2005 -> 09:18 AM)
I'd appreciate if you revised your comments here. I'm sure you meant to say something like  "many casual Sox fans are fairweather"...

I've got several friends from a bar who have yet to go this year, or have barely gone. Or went to Cubs/Sox and that is it. Its kind of sad. The one guy even has access to free VIP tix.

QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ Sep 8, 2005 -> 09:17 AM)
I almost go to as many games as I financially and logistically can go to. I work full time, am currently taking review classes for the CPA exam, and have a slew of other activities that take up my time.  To bulk all of the sox fandom as fair-weather is stupid. In all honesty there just isn't enough of us around to physically fill the seats. Season tickets have to increase (corporate seats especially) in order to consistently fill that park. If the white sox want to not have these problems they have to sell their seats at the corporate level which apparently they are NOT doing a good job of doing right now.

totally agree with this statement.

I'd say we have just the same amount of hardcore fans as the cubs do, but we don't have nearly as many casual fans/corporate fans that are buying up season tickets to boost up the numbers.

Without any sort of income this summer, i still made it out to a decent amount of games and will be there scrounging for playoff tickets when the time comes. I dare anyone to call me fairweather.