Attendance crap

southsideirish71

Two months ago, when I was looking over the schedule, I predicted this series to bring out all the negative attendance talk and controversy. There's no way one of these games was going to draw more than 19,000.

Last night was family pack night, which increased the attendance to 4,000 over the previous night. I guarantee tonight will be less than 18,000.

Ticket sales for the weekend haven't been going through the roof either. You can still get great lower level seats for Friday and Saturday, so I wouldn't be surprised to see less than 30k for each of those games.

Brooks Boyer should have seen this coming; he should have seen that embarrassing attendance numbers for this entire week was going to bring out all the local and national media, and it was going to be a slap in the face for the White Sox organization. This week should have been "Sox Pride" week with half price tickets and something else to draw in the fans and been promoted weeks ago to drive up advance ticket sales.

You can't expect to have average attendance numbers when we have to contend with the Cubs and the #1 tourist attraction in America.. face it, our fan base is very small compared to the rest of MLB. We're diehards, but there's not enough of us to draw 30k when school's in session.

Edited by SouthSidePride05

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Queen Prawn @ Sep 8, 2005 -> 09:22 AM)
I will be there with my mom and brother on 9/24.  With the wedding coming up, unexpected car repairs and needing tires before winter, it is the best I can do.  Sorry if it is not enough for the players.

I don't think this pertains much to people on this board. People here are pretty dedicated and go when/if they can. I just think a lot of fans just don't bother. I don't know, this topic is so 'played out'.

QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ Sep 8, 2005 -> 09:17 AM)
I almost go to as many games as I financially and logistically can go to. I work full time, am currently taking review classes for the CPA exam, and have a slew of other activities that take up my time.  To bulk all of the sox fandom as fair-weather is stupid. In all honesty there just isn't enough of us around to physically fill the seats. Season tickets have to increase (corporate seats especially) in order to consistently fill that park. If the white sox want to not have these problems they have to sell their seats at the corporate level which apparently they are NOT doing a good job of doing right now.

I will be there with my mom and brother on 9/24. With the wedding coming up, unexpected car repairs and needing tires before winter, it is the best I can do. Sorry if it is not enough for the players.

Excuses excuses. It's people like you that prevent the rest of us from shedding that 'fairweather fan' label.

Edited by 3E8

QUOTE(Steff @ Sep 8, 2005 -> 09:18 AM)
I'd appreciate if you revised your comments here. I'm sure you meant to say something like  "many casual Sox fans are fairweather"...

However it is worded doesn't matter. 15,000 people at a game with the best record in baseball in September is embarassing. I don't care if the Stickney little league B-team is on the field, there should be people in the seats. All this does is prove groups like the Tribune Company and Jay Mariotti right.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Sep 8, 2005 -> 09:27 AM)
However it is worded doesn't matter.  15,000 people at a game with the best record in baseball in September is embarassing.  I don't care if the Stickney little league B-team is on the field, there should be people in the seats.  All this does is prove groups like the Tribune Company and Jay Mariotti right.

Whoa...the stickney little league B-team is pretty damn good.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Sep 8, 2005 -> 09:27 AM)
However it is worded doesn't matter.  15,000 people at a game with the best record in baseball in September is embarassing.  I don't care if the Stickney little league B-team is on the field, there should be people in the seats.  All this does is prove groups like the Tribune Company and Jay Mariotti right.

Yea.. it does f***ing matter, to me, and I don't appreciate being lumped in a group you called fairweathers.

QUOTE(SouthSidePride05 @ Sep 8, 2005 -> 09:30 AM)
What the heck is your definition of "fairweather"?  Sox fans are not fairweather fans; everyone I know who's a Sox fan follows every game on tv or the radio and knows more about the team than any other sports fan.  Going to the game has nothing to do with weather you're a true fan or not.  That's just ridiculous.

It is pretty ridiculous that to prove you are a sox fans you put whip out your credentials of the games that you have attended this year. I do not think true fans realistically need to go to any games. But I believe they should, if they can afford it.

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Sep 8, 2005 -> 09:33 AM)
It is pretty ridiculous that to prove you are a sox fans you put whip out your credentials of the games that you have attended this year.  I do not think true fans realistically need to go to any games.  But I believe they should, if they can afford it.

I'm not going to sit here and say people have to go...but obviously, money helps the team compete. Plus, if we show up, Reinsdorf can't play poor on us.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Sep 8, 2005 -> 09:33 AM)
Seriously, did I really need to spell it out in that big of detail?  You really think I believe you are a fairweather fan?

Well your 'blanket' comment sure as hell included all of us under the 'fairweather' fan label. You're truly missing the point here, its a numbers game, not a pony up and go to the games situation.

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Sep 8, 2005 -> 09:33 AM)
It is pretty ridiculous that to prove you are a sox fans you put whip out your credentials of the games that you have attended this year.  I do not think true fans realistically need to go to any games.  But I believe they should, if they can afford it.

The correlation being, they have no problem getting mad at the team when they don't open the wallet to get big name players, yet have no problem keeping their wallets closed when they don't like the match up. That's what makes me mad about this. The same people who didn't want to pay to see KC, will complain when our payroll isn't $150 million next year.

Does anybody have any insight into why attendance has dropped so low this month, especially when we're in the thick of it? The only thing I could think of was: school started?

But I can't believe the majority of the fans are college/high school kids.

Back to the attendance arguing: of COURSE Wrigley is always going to have better attendance year after year, for the simple fact that it is right smack there in the middle of Lakeview. People go whether they win or lose because it's more or less a tourist attraction. I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir here.

The Cell, as great as it is, is a little more remote--yes, I know it's in the city--and really has never been known as a place (at least for us Northsiders) where you go to parrr-tay and hang out. You go to watch the games.

And while yes there's more Cub fans than Sox and yes it's a Cub-obsessed town, I've heard a good explanation for this, which sort of fits into the above. We probably have the same number of die-hard obsessive fans, it's that they have infinitely more casual fans than us that makes them so much better-attended.

But I really am perplexed at the dropoff, especially considering the weather's great, they're playing great (especially after that trainwreck August) and they're in first place and on track for the playoffs.

So odd.

Or maybe, quite frankly, casual fans view games as a "summer" thing and when summer unofficially ended, they moved on to football or something else.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Sep 8, 2005 -> 09:36 AM)
The correlation being, they have no problem getting mad at the team when they don't open the wallet to get big name players, yet have no problem keeping their wallets closed when they don't like the match up.    That's what makes me mad about this.  The same people who didn't want to pay to see KC, will complain when our payroll isn't $150 million next year.

I don't disagree, its economics. I disagree that game attendance is relevant to give a blanket statement to all sox fans

It's because people don't like going to games with small crowds.. it's kind of depressing. They'd rather put a dent in their wallet to see a game with a full crowd and more electricity, or just wait and save up $$ for the clincher game and playoff games. People are already figuring out how freakin expensive it's gonna be for them to get tix for the ALDS, ALCS, and the WS.

QUOTE(SouthSidePride05 @ Sep 8, 2005 -> 08:44 AM)
It's because people don't like going to games with small crowds.. it's kind of depressing. They'd rather put a dent in their wallet to see a game with a full crowd and more electricity, or just wait and save up $$ for the clincher game and playoff games.  People are already figuring out how freakin expensive it's gonna be for them to get tix for the ALDS, ALCS, and the WS.

You know, you might be right about that. Everyone's anticipating playoffs, so maybe they're thinking now's the time to not go because we'll be going in October.

Me personally I don't mind small crowds at all. True the large ones are more "electric," (if we're winning, that is), but I've been to some small-crowd games (especially back in April/May) where it was REALLY loud and impressive.

But man, I turned on the TV last night and saw the outfield seats empty more or less and thought: "Wow. WTF is going on?"

The fact is the only reason there is a Tribune story about attendance is to make sure the Sox have some negative to go along with their 7 game winning streak and virtual playoff lock. The Rogers article is also somewhat negative about their chances in the playoffs. Its time for a city and region to see through the crap this paper prints on its pages. Its so obvious what they are doing. Who cares what the attendance is on a Tuesday night against one of the worst teams ever. As a season ticketholder, I actually appreciated the extra room. The players shouldn't care. They have had trouble winning in front of sellouts. Also their paychecks aren't going to bounce. Attendance is going to be the 4th highest in team history. Lack of fans in the stands is not and should not be an issue.

Here's a question for everyone:

Right now the avg attendance stands at 28,879. Do you think the average attendance will be above or below 29K at the end of the regular season?

I'm predicting it will be above 29,000 after the last regular season home game, which is WAY UP from 24,000 last year. A 5,000 jump is IMPRESSIVE, and we should all give ourselves a pat on the back! :headbang :cheers

Edited by SouthSidePride05

I have been to 12 games this year. I don't want to hear the team b**** about attendance. The unfortunate part of playing so well and being so good all year is that we are really not in a race. Personally, I believe the fans are just waiting for the playoffs. The regular season is just going to drag on for the rest of the month. As for this weekend, I guarantee, they will not sell out one game. And don't forget Sunday is the opening game of the NFL, the Sox should be thrilled with 25K on Sunday.

I just hope if we clinch at home, we sell out that night. I will try and be there for that celebration.

QUOTE(SouthSidePride05 @ Sep 8, 2005 -> 08:50 AM)
Here's a question for everyone: 

Right now the avg attendance stands at 28,879.  Do you think the average attendance will be above or below 29K at the end of the regular season? 

I'm predicting it will be above 29,000 after the last regular season game, which is WAY UP from 24,000 last year.  A 5,000 jump is IMPRESSIVE, and we should all give ourselves a pat on the back!  :headbang  :cheers

That's a 21% increase for those of you keeping score. Pretty darn good.

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Sep 8, 2005 -> 09:44 AM)
No doubt about it.  Should be at least 20,000.  Just curious, what would repsectable attendance for playing the lowly royals in your opinions.

However many can afford to be there. Going to games doesn't mean s*** in terms of how much of a fan you are. I was as much a fan of the Sox when I lived in Florida.

By the definition presented here I guess Jason is a fairweather since he only comes in for the "big games". :headshake And don't even get me started on the likes of Alex and DBAHO - who has NEVER been to a Sox game at Comiskey IN PERSON. Effing fairweathers.

Good grief.. we have to hear this BULLs*** from Cub fans... now it's being spewed right in our own back yard FROM our own back yard.