Attendance crap

southsideirish71

QUOTE(SouthSidePride05 @ Sep 8, 2005 -> 09:50 AM)
Here's a question for everyone: 

Right now the avg attendance stands at 28,879.  Do you think the average attendance will be above or below 29K at the end of the regular season? 

I'm predicting it will be above 29,000 after the last regular season game, which is WAY UP from 24,000 last year.  A 5,000 jump is IMPRESSIVE, and we should all give ourselves a pat on the back!  :headbang  :cheers

The remaining home series are against the Angels, Indians, and Twins. I don't know what advance tickets sales are but I expect the Twins games will draw 30,000+ being a weekend series against the team that was supposed to challenge to the division. The Cleveland series may mark the clincher. I am going to the Cleveland series and because of the importance of the series, I suspect a lot of people will. The lost draw will probably be the Angels. I suspect that we will get 30,000 in most games after KC skips town.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Queen Prawn @ Sep 8, 2005 -> 09:54 AM)
Another reason that attendance has dipped is because of the hurricane.  Majority of the people I know are donating "extra" cash they have rather than buy things for themselves or using it for entertainment purposes.

Exactly. F-A-I-R-W-E-A-T-H-E-R. Look it even has something do with weather...

:lol:

Speaking of the hurricane, I was watching last night's local coverage, and they were showing the busloads of evacuees being placed in shelters and homes on the southside. I said to my brother "I hope they all get free white sox tickets". What better way to get accustomed to your new home and surroundings than to go to US Cellular Field and watch a Sox game. I hope they all get free tickets.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Sep 8, 2005 -> 06:51 AM)
Maybe since the fans were so busy telling Ozzie how to use his pen, Ozzie figured he would tell them to do their jobs and get the games?

Once again Sox fans are the biggest fair weather fans ever.  They will use any excuse at anytime.  I hate to say it but everyone of those quotes is right.  Its one thing to draw 15,000 in April, its quite another to draw that in September with the best record in baseball.

Let me count to 100 very slowly so I don't lose my temper. I'm down to my last White Sox message board.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Sep 8, 2005 -> 02:42 PM)
I apologize for the blanket statement.  I guess I should have qualified it. 

The sentiment stands.  There should be more than 15,000 people at these games.

I definitely agree with this. Like you, I have my reasons for not going to these games this week. I don't see why some people are getting so upset that you're calling them fair weather. First, we know that these people aren't fair weather fans, and you didn't call anyone out by name on it. Next, why would anyone really care what someone says about their team affiliation? Hell, I laugh any time that people on here suggest that I root for the Sox to lose.

I could care less what the attendance was if it didn't impact our payroll. Like I said earlier, we just gave JR a perfect excuse if PK leaves.

I have said this before and will say it again. I would much prefer having only 15,000 diehards in the stands than 40,000 corporate wannabefansforanightwhositontheirhandsandeatnachos. I never get back to chicago for a game, but when i listen to the games on mlb radio or tv it is louder with only 15,000. It allows the obnoxious diehards a chance to move down closer to the field and really band together. I love small crowds.

QUOTE(whitesoxmanager @ Sep 8, 2005 -> 03:35 PM)
I have said this before and will say it again.  I would much prefer having only 15,000 diehards in the stands than 40,000 corporate wannabefansforanightwhositontheirhandsandeatnachos.  I never get back to chicago for a game, but when i listen to the games on mlb radio or tv it is louder with only 15,000.  It allows the obnoxious diehards a chance to move down closer to the field and really band together.  I love small crowds.

And then you'd have a mediocre payroll.

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Sep 8, 2005 -> 08:39 AM)
Does anybody have any insight into why attendance has dropped so low this month, especially when we're in the thick of it?  The only thing I could think of was: school started?

Attendance has only dropped off for the last 2 (probably 3) games. The Detroit Series had more than adequate crowds.

KC blows but that's not an excuse. School, gas prices, work (I'm working 2P-10P this month), and other factors certainly are. But KC should not be. Fans that can SHOULD be going to see the SOX whenever they can at USCF..... especially this year.

I'll be there Sunday..... my next day off :headbang

QUOTE(SouthSidePride05 @ Sep 8, 2005 -> 08:44 AM)
It's because people don't like going to games with small crowds.

Speak for yourself. I LOVE small crowds. Easy in/out, no wait for the bathrooms or concessions, great seats.... even when walking up, and small crowds usually mean diehard crowds. I actually got pissed off this summer with the amount of fairweathers I saw with great seats while I had to settle for what was left because I wouldn't know if I'd be able to go until the last minute with my regular work schedule and OT.

And alot of the people that were showing up were CUB FANS that felt it necessary to come to USCF and cheer AGAINST the White Sox because their team was tanking.

Remember THAT when the media tells you that Cub fans don't care about the Sox.

Media scrutiny relating to attendance is going to be worse next season if this team extends far into the playoffs. Every game under 15,000 will be a moaning experience: "Where are the people?!" "WWAAAAAAA"

And yes, I'm aware some of you won't care about the attendance issues if the Sox win the World Series. Most don't care now. Personally, it bothers me that people are making this an issue in the middle of a winning streak.

Does anyone become personally aggrivated when they notice blue seats in the upper deck? I couldn't care whether or not there are five people. It's just odd how two weekday home games against KC can cause such a commotion.

Let out your complaints now, because we won't have to hear attendance bulls*** for the remainder of this year. Today may the final day for the media to bring up this topic.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(CubKilla @ Sep 8, 2005 -> 08:46 AM)
Speak for yourself. I LOVE small crowds. Easy in/out, no wait for the bathrooms or concessions, great seats.... even when walking up, and small crowds usually mean diehard crowds. I actually got pissed off this summer with the amount of fairweathers I saw with great seats while I had to settle for what was left because I wouldn't know if I'd be able to go until the last minute with my regular work schedule and OT.

And alot of the people that were showing up were CUB FANS that felt it necessary to come to USCF and cheer AGAINST the White Sox because their team was tanking.

Remember THAT when the media tells you that Cub fans don't care about the Sox.

Exactly!

BTW Albert Belle loved small crowds....it made his throws shorter....

same holds true for the battery chuckers....i used to love the outfield battery chuckers and of course those beloved fans who loved to dump beer on the Tigers players heads at old comiskey.

Big crowd or not...ESPN will never know about it....

It is pretty ridiculous that to prove you are a sox fans you put whip out your credentials of the games that you have attended this year.  I do not think true fans realistically need to go to any games.  But I believe they should, if they can afford it.

Totally agree. Wow, there is a lot of credential showing and chips on shoulders about this topic.

I understood Mike's statement completely. Every sports teams has fair weather fans, White Sox included. We have tons of bandwagon jumpers in my neighborhood and I suspect all of you do too. It's the nature of sports.

If you can go, great. If you can't, whatever. My dad hasn't been to a game at U.S. Cellular in two years, he's one of the biggest Sox fans around.

Of course, he lives in Arizona :bang Talk about a tough commute!

QUOTE(whitesoxmanager @ Sep 8, 2005 -> 03:43 PM)
+ Quicker trips to the head, shower, nacho line, & beer tap!  Lasts years attendance average was how many?  & we still managed to create this team?

That's fine....then just don't complain if PK signs elsewhere, and we have to trade someone like Garland or Contreras to clear payroll.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Sep 8, 2005 -> 09:46 AM)
Media scrutiny relating to attendance is going to be worse next season if this team extends far into the playoffs.

I couldn't care whether or not there are five people. It's just odd how two weekday home games against KC can cause such a commotion.

Let out your complaints now, because we won't have to hear attendance bulls*** for the remainder of this year.

Great parts of your post here.

And never lose sight that the Chicago sports media has been looking for anything since about early June to write negatively about the Sox.

First it was attendance in April/May when the Sox started hot. Then, from about Memorial Day to this past Monday, crowds were more than adequate for EVERY game so the Chicago Media couldn't rip on attendance anymore (the Sox even drew 23-24,000 to a Wednesday DAY GAME on June 22nd). Then the Sox didn't relinquish their first place standing and started hot after the All-Star break..... and don't think it didn't KILL the Chicago media that Buehrle was the Chicago pitcher to start the ALL-STAR GAME and NOT Balsa Woods or Messiah Prior. And remember that the Chicago sports media actually started Wild Card talk for the Cubs almost 1.5 months prior to this point. WildCard talk in the first week of June..... anything to divert attention to the sCrUBS and away from the Sox. Hell, even when the Sox experienced their first losing streak ALL SEASON in AUGUST, the media couldn't say much cause the Cubs were out of it already AND the Sox had a big lead built up. But the comparison's to '69 were there definitely.

Nothing negative to write UNTIL the last two days, but man, did the Chicago sports media pounce on it like a salivating lion on a meat truck. No talk about AL Central dominance by the Sox, no talk about the Sox being 31-15 in one-run games. Maybe a blurb about these f***ing numbers. That's it. Just alot of talk about the only numbers that seems to matter in this s***hole of a city and to it's sports media AND the only thing that the CUBS seem to be able to WIN over the SOX..... f***ING ATTENDANCE.

Chicago sports media = BUSH LEAGUE HACKS

Edited by CubKilla

QUOTE(JimH @ Sep 8, 2005 -> 08:54 AM)
Totally agree.  Wow, there is a lot of credential showing and chips on shoulders about this topic.

I understood Mike's statement completely.  Every sports teams has fair weather fans, White Sox included.  We have tons of bandwagon jumpers in my neighborhood and I suspect all of you do too.  It's the nature of sports.

If you can go, great.  If you can't, whatever.  My dad hasn't been to a game at U.S. Cellular in two years, he's one of the biggest Sox fans around.

Did you get him a subscription to mlb.tv? If not it is an absolute life saver.

The players have every right to comment on the small crowds, just as we have the right to comment on how poor they've played in front of full crowds at Comiskey :P

I have the 27 game package on the weekends since I work during the week so it's why I'm not out there watching them play KC....Will be there Sat and Sun though :gosox1:

QUOTE(JimH @ Sep 8, 2005 -> 09:54 AM)

Tell him to get his ass to the park. :angry: :P Back on topic, like everyone said I could care less who the sox play or when it is, I'd love to go to every f'n game I could. Right now with school I can only get to a few games and because of this I'd rather go to playoffs games instead of games in September against the Royals. Trust me though, if I could I would go to every single game.

QUOTE(Steff @ Sep 8, 2005 -> 11:12 AM)
You understood Mike's "opinion" completely... but missed everyone elses....?

Your wrong...this is what he had to say about the rest of our opinions... :rolly

QUOTE(JimH @ Sep 8, 2005 -> 10:54 AM)
Totally agree.  Wow, there is a lot of credential showing and chips on shoulders about this topic.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Sep 8, 2005 -> 09:42 AM)
I apologize for the blanket statement.  I guess I should have qualified it. 

The sentiment stands.  There should be more than 15,000 people at these games.

You've said it a few times this season, and I said it earlier in this thread Mike. It takes time. We're not going to suddenly sell out the park game after game overnight.

I think this quote from Brooks sums it up perfectly:

"My expectations would have been higher [for Kansas City], but it's awfully nice for the White Sox to have expectations," said Brooks Boyer, White Sox vice president of marketing. "We feel really good about 16 sellouts and probably 2.3 million [total], fourth highest in history."

Things have improved a great deal in the attendance aspect this year; however, it's not all going to improve that quickly.

Is it really that difficult to understand?

The Sox attendance is low because the season ticket base is low. We are talking about a team that hasn't won jack s*** in years. A couple of division titles is the best they could do in the past 20+ years. That's not going to build up the season ticket base.

Meanwhile the Cubs "sell out every game" because their season ticket base is over 30,000. The Sox have to rely on 15,000+ in walkups just to match those numbers. Combine school starting, playing the worst team in baseball and the Tribe continuing to spread the rumor of how bad the neighborhood is around the park and it's just not enough to consistantly draw that many walk-ups.

From the Trib:

But to put it in perspective, A.J. Pierzynski, who played on division championship teams with the Twins, said, "In Minnesota, 14,000 would be a big crowd once school starts."

If the Sox can manage to win a playoff round or two for 2-3 years in a row and still have a problem drawing crowds, then we need to start worrying.