Attendance crap

southsideirish71

You understood Mike's "opinion" completely... but missed everyone elses....?

Did I SAY I missed everyone elses?

I understand what everyone is saying here, it's not that difficult.

Different people are gonna have different takes on this topic, so be it.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(JimH @ Sep 8, 2005 -> 11:39 AM)
Did I SAY I missed everyone elses?

I understand what everyone is saying here, it's not that difficult.

Different people are gonna have different takes on this topic, so be it.

Whoopsie.. forgot you need to SEE the green text.

Your wrong...this is what he had to say about the rest of our opinions... :rolly

Yeah, I said what I said.

So what?

There is always a lot of credential showing on this board when this attendance topic comes up. Steff is usually the first one to say how far away from the park she lives and how many games she goes to. I admire her and her husbands dedication.

And I did NOT make a blanket statement about everyone else's opinion, so stop putting words in my mouth. Note that I said there's a lot of credenial showing and chips on shoulders in this thread. Exactly how does that equate to "everyone else's opinion"? Try getting it straight next time.

QUOTE(JimH @ Sep 8, 2005 -> 11:42 AM)
Yeah, I said what I said.

So what?

There is always a lot of credential showing on this board when this attendance topic comes up.  Steff is usually the first one to say how far away from the park she lives and how many games she goes to.  I admire her and her husbands dedication.

And I did NOT make a blanket statement about everyone else's opinion, so stop putting words in my mouth.  Note that I said there's a lot of credenial showing and chips on shoulders in this thread.  Exactly how does that equate to "everyone else's opinion"?  Try getting it straight next time.

Jim... shut yer pie hole. :bang The comment was dripping with sarcasm.

My best friend moved to cleveland in the middle of the summer, and hasnt attended many games this year. We have had season tickets together for years, and just because he isnt in town, doenst mean he isnt a fan.

On the other hand, being on this site also doesnt mean you arent a bandwagon fan.

Well, the CORE OF THE CORE will certainly push the number over the 30K mark tonight......

:D

I will give you a general and specific "excuse" for not wanting to go to any of the games vs. the Royals:

Specific:

Tuesday: bought a car ( 6K down payment = no "disposable" cash this week, or month ) and had softball practice

Wednesday: my daughter's open house at school

Thursday: need to do some clothes/work shoes shopping ( and NO, it can't wait, my left shoe just busted!!! )

General:

I'm looking at the September schedule right now. If I were buying tickets to any games, I'd want to see, in this order:

Indians

Twins

Angels

Tigers

keep scrolling, it's down there.....

almost.......

a little more.......

Royals

I don't think that makes me fairweather, I think that means I don't have ANY interest in seeing the Kansas City Royals. At all. Ever. And FWIW, I am getting out to see the Indians on the 19th. And don't you worry, you hardliners, I am NOT planning on getting any playoff tickets, so THIS bandwagoner won't be denying any of you a nice upper-deck playoff seat.That is all.

The defense rests.

QUOTE(JimH @ Sep 8, 2005 -> 11:42 AM)
And I did NOT make a blanket statement about everyone else's opinion, so stop putting words in my mouth.  Note that I said there's a lot of credenial showing and chips on shoulders in this thread.  Exactly how does that equate to "everyone else's opinion"?  Try getting it straight next time.

Who is the one getting all bent out of shape now? I never said you made a blanket statement. I simply quoted what you wrote and acknowledged the fact that you did indeed make a comment on other people's opinions.

I'll back off the gas because we are way off topic. Jolly good, carry on

[/i]I do agree that the media attention about this is sort of silly, but then again Ozzie himself mentioned it.

In this Cubs dominated town; go figure.

I remember reading a piece in Maxim before the season talking about Boston and breaking their curse. Then they mentioned Chicago and how there's another curse there: the Cubs. Hello? Talk about lazy journalism; even the most casual fan can tell you we have the two longest remaining droughts in baseball.

But nope; this guy thought: Chicago = Cubs.

Whatever. I don't mind our second-banana status in the media or elsewhere. Honestly, if we win it all, it will make it that much sweeter.

As somebody pointed out a while back, if the Cubs are truly the cursed team (I believe they are to some extent), the absolute worst thing would be that we are the ones to finally win the WS. Man, would that be sweet!

I love the Sox and have been to 12 games this year. That being said, should the media direct interest or reflect interest?

If the Sox drew 3 million this year, there would be no negative attendance story. But we won't draw 3 million this year. Face it, like it or not, there are more Cub fans or people who call themselves Cub fans than Sox fans.

And all this talk about shorter lines, blah, blah, blah is crap. Do you really go to the game hoping no one is there and the crowd won't sound super loud to spark the team? Everyone should want to see a full house. Perhaps you would like the Sox to have 14K for thier first playoff game so we can look like the laughing stock of the league.

QUOTE(retro1983hat @ Sep 8, 2005 -> 05:17 PM)
I love the Sox and have been to 12 games this year. That being said, should the media direct interest or reflect interest?

If the Sox drew 3 million this year, there would be no negative attendance story. But we won't draw 3 million this year. Face it, like it or not, there are more Cub fans or people who call themselves Cub fans than Sox fans.

And all this talk about shorter lines, blah, blah, blah is crap. Do you really go to the game hoping no one is there and the crowd won't sound super loud to spark the team? Everyone should want to see a full house. Perhaps you would like the Sox to have 14K for thier first playoff game so we can look like the laughing stock of the league.

so you're saying we should hold a million man march in us cellular field to get to 3 mill?

Yeah, I'm saying that I prefer it not to be jam-packed. By that, I mean where the concourse is packed and the lines are tremendously long for everything. That's no fun.

I forget which game(s) this year that was, but there was one or two where it was that crowded.

But as far as selling out, that's fine. What always interested me is all the "sellouts" I've been to where you can see tons of empty seats. Even at the Boston, Yankees and Cubs series. How does that happen? People buy the tix and just don't go for some reason?

Or they buy them hoping to scalp them and then can't get rid of them?

i hate to say it, but i've limited the number of games i've gone to this year due to money.

At $25-30 per ticket (good seats of course) plus the $18 for parking and $7 in gas money, my wife and I are already at $75 before I enter the gates. Add in food, we'll end up at $100 or so. And that's for a weekday game. On the weekends, when I can afford to get home at 12pm after the game, add another $20 for tickets. (thanks White Sox price gougers)

Honestly, even though I am a die-hard fan, there are things I'd rather spend $100-$120 on before a 3 hour baseball game.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Sep 7, 2005 -> 09:28 PM)
Have fun with this...

Oddly when they had packed houses in August and crapped out night after night they weren't offering refunds.

People have come out to the park this year in droves.  I think its not cool to call the fans out in the paper after people not showing up to see us sweep the worst team in baseball.

This is where season tickets heavily come into play. If we had a season ticket base of around 20,000, there would be about 25,000 at games like these against the Royals. If the Sox make some noise in the playoffs, I GUARANTEE the season ticket base will definitely increase to the point where these sort of comments won't be made next year.........Also, just because there aren't a ton of people in the seats doesn't mean people aren't paying attention, there is this thing called media you know, TV and radio.... :gosox1:

Edited by CYGarland