Attendance crap

southsideirish71

This is scary. I put on Boers and Bernstein who are usually negative asshole when it comes to everything Sox and what do I hear? They're backing the fans saying they understand why noone was there and how dumb the comments were by the players. Stating that this has been one of the best attendance years in the history of the Sox and who the hell would want to watch the Royals play?

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well can I make a suggestion that will probably be unpopular here? At the risk of getting my negative, dark-cloud, rain-on-the-parade, doomsayer ass expelled from yet another board, there may be another explanation:

The games are too expensive.

Hold on a sec, just hear me out:

-As somebody pointed out above, if he brings just his wife to the game and drives, he's spent $70 before he walks in the gate.

-I go almost always on my own (I meet my friends there, they're from all over). For one person--and remember not a family--it's something like this:

-Ticket $30

-2 hot dogs/polish: $8

-Drink a beer an inning, for example: $42

And I don't need to drive or park, I take the el. That's $80 per game or somewhere near that. I cannot IMAGINE what it would be like to take a family there and everybody's eating or drinking $4 sodas.

Let me give you an example of someplace else: I was in KC for two of those three games. The most expensive seat in the house there--I was behind our dugout, first row, but could have been behind home plate, is... $27. That's right, you can get front row for that kinda money there (although the concessions were just as bad). At Comerica it's the same as us more or less, and wouldn't you know it: great park, but they never sell out.

There are no cheap seats in the Cell. Sure UD is cheaper, but in a lot of ballparks they have areas where you can pay like $10 to be right behind the fence in the outfield (like San Diego).

The Cubs can get away with it because they have outrageous demand and limited supply. They even scalp their own tickets.

Also think of where you're located: if it's city people who are coming, you might get some downtowners or freak Northsiders like me, but the park is on the South side. Latinos and African Americans in that part of the city generally, I'm guessing, can't afford numerous nights at Sox park. For all those from the South suburbs that come in, with all the driving and hassle and add to that the expense...

Does this make any sense now?

I remember on another board when ticket prices went up people were astounded to see a guy raising prices on seats in a park he can't sell out with any regularity. I know they can't even sell all the skyboxes (you can see the empty ones), and it's rare that you see the Scout Seats sell out.

Just a thought. I could be wrong, and I'm not saying open the park up to street people, but it is not cheap. And maybe attendance is also a result of the economic times and people's economic outlook (post-Katrina, with gas prices also at $3).

One other point: the Comcast numbers for Sox games has been down, but so has the Cubs. Media people don't know if this is an actual attendance drop or because of the Nielsen switch to people meters.

I definately can't afford to drive out to the ballpark every day due to the recent spike in gas prices.

That's why I take the el now. But lots of people don't have that luxury. I'm also lucky that my school doesn't start until September 27, so unlike most of the target audience for student half-price promotions, I don't have to worry about missing class or taking time away from work.

I'm also not a football fan at all, which is a luxury that still more don't have.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Sep 8, 2005 -> 01:15 PM)
This is scary. I put on Boers and Bernstein who are usually negative asshole when it comes to everything Sox and what do I hear? They're backing the fans saying they understand why noone was there and how dumb the comments were by the players. Stating that this has been one of the best attendance years in the history of the Sox and who the hell would want to watch the Royals play?

that is shoking!! But I do agree with them 100% The tribune and other outlets are not reporting how well the attendance has been going this season. They wait for one poorly attended series and fire away. I didn't see any reports, except one little line in the Sun-Times, that the Sox broke 2 million, which is pretty important.

I can't stress enough how impressive the numbers are this year with the season ticket base the Sox have. Games against bad teams and shaky weather will look horrible because there is zero interest.

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Sep 8, 2005 -> 03:52 PM)
that is shoking!!  But I do agree with them 100%  The tribune and other outlets are not reporting how well the attendance has been going this season.  They wait for one poorly attended series and fire away.  I didn't see any reports, except one little line in the Sun-Times, that the Sox broke 2 million, which is pretty important. 

I can't stress enough how impressive the numbers are this year with the season ticket base the Sox have.  Games against bad teams and shaky weather will look horrible because there is zero interest.

Really is disgraceful on the part of Tribune.

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Sep 8, 2005 -> 07:45 PM)
Well can I make a suggestion that will probably be unpopular here?  At the risk of getting my negative, dark-cloud, rain-on-the-parade, doomsayer ass expelled from yet another board, there may be another explanation:

The games are too expensive.

Hold on a sec, just hear me out:

-As somebody pointed out above, if he brings just his wife to the game and drives, he's spent $70 before he walks in the gate.

-I go almost always on my own (I meet my friends there, they're from all over).  For one person--and remember not a family--it's something like this:

-Ticket $30

-2 hot dogs/polish: $8

-Drink a beer an inning, for example: $42

And I don't need to drive or park, I take the el.  That's $80 per game or somewhere near that.  I cannot IMAGINE what it would be like to take a family there and everybody's eating or drinking $4 sodas.

Let me give you an example of someplace else: I was in KC for two of those three games.  The most expensive seat in the house there--I was behind our dugout, first row, but could have been behind home plate, is... $27.  That's right, you can get front row for that kinda money there (although the concessions were just as bad).  At Comerica it's the same as us more or less, and wouldn't you know it: great park, but they never sell out.

There are no cheap seats in the Cell.  Sure UD is cheaper, but in a lot of ballparks they have areas where you can pay like $10 to be right behind the fence in the outfield (like San Diego).

The Cubs can get away with it because they have outrageous demand and limited supply.  They even scalp their own tickets.

Also think of where you're located: if it's city people who are coming, you might get some downtowners or freak Northsiders like me, but the park is on the South side.  Latinos and African Americans in that part of the city generally, I'm guessing, can't afford numerous nights at Sox park.  For all those from the South suburbs that come in, with all the driving and hassle and add to that the expense...

Does this make any sense now?

I remember on another board when ticket prices went up people were astounded to see a guy raising prices on seats in a park he can't sell out with any regularity.  I know they can't even sell all the skyboxes (you can see the empty ones), and it's rare that you see the Scout Seats sell out.

Just a thought.  I could be wrong, and I'm not saying open the park up to street people, but it is not cheap.  And maybe attendance is also a result of the economic times and people's economic outlook (post-Katrina, with gas prices also at $3).

One other point: the Comcast numbers for Sox games has been down, but so has the Cubs.  Media people don't know if this is an actual attendance drop or because of the Nielsen switch to people meters.

haha, you're really not used to this board yet...i bet most of us agree with you if not close to all. But we all still go as much as we can...i was amazed how many times i made myself out to games this year with the limited funds i had. You do what you have to do to see our sox...and one series for the entire year should not be telling the whole story, and i wish the players would have recognised that.

QUOTE(whitesoxin' @ Sep 8, 2005 -> 05:10 PM)
I don't know if it has been brought up yet, but isn't it a little bit ironic that the day after these comments are made the core of the core meeting is tonight?

I was thinking the same thing. I tell you what, I was going to bust my ass to get there tonight, but this whole thing turned me off. Go ahead shower me with criticism. I'll be there tomorrow night, but this attitude has me thinking twice about these ballplayers and lack of appreciation for Sox fans--the best baseball fans on the f-ing planet!!

Guys, don't get mad.

I think the players realize there is a hard core group of special Sox fans like the ones who posted on here about having no money, etc.

It is sad and sick that in a city as big as Chicago we only have a core group of hearty fans. You'd think we'd pick up 15,000 a night SPORTS fans just wanting to attend a game in a special season.

But we don't. I can understand their frustration. We have one of the best records going in team history and the crowds "currently" suck whereas they are great every night in Boston, at Wrigley, etc.

I understand their pain. I don't think this is a slam at folks like the ones on here who have gone to 15-30 games this summer. It's just in general.

The greatest sports city in the country can't draw 35,000 a night for a special team.

Don't your feel their pain?

p.s. I do feel for the guy on here who said his mama can't afford to get out because of gas prices. That does suck! Big time! Gimme her address and I'll buy her two Sox tickets and mail to her address!

QUOTE(Colorado Sox Fan @ Sep 8, 2005 -> 10:16 PM)
I was thinking the same thing. I tell you what, I was going to bust my ass to get there tonight, but this whole thing turned me off. Go ahead shower me with criticism. I'll be there tomorrow night, but this attitude has me thinking twice about these ballplayers and lack of appreciation for Sox fans--the best baseball fans on the f-ing planet!!

I don't know. I tend to agree with Sox players on this one. People say, "well there's work and all this other stuff." Yeah, but I don't see any other team in the league making excuses. I certainly don't see the Cubs, or the Angels or any other team that's playing well making excuses. I say it's time to stop making excuses here. If you aren't going, just say "I'm not showing up, period." With the lack of support for this team(best in the league as I hear so much around here), the attendance for this series certainly didn't show it. Our players need to learn how to play in front of big crowds and they certainly aren't getting the experience here at home.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Sep 8, 2005 -> 11:31 PM)
I don't know. I tend to agree with Sox players on this one. People say, "well there's work and all this other stuff." Yeah, but I don't see any other team in the league making excuses. I certainly don't see the Cubs, or the Angels or any other team that's playing well making excuses. I say it's time to stop making excuses here. If you aren't going, just say "I'm not showing up, period." With the lack of support for this team(best in the league as I hear so much around here), the attendance for this series certainly didn't show it. Our players need to learn how to play in front of big crowds and they certainly aren't getting the experience here at home.

Other than the fact that before this series the crowds have been f***ing huge at home. We get poor attendance for one f***ing series and suddenly we're not drawing at all.

2,000,000+

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Sep 8, 2005 -> 10:48 PM)
This is a cubs town. Always has been, always will be.

Anyone want to venture a guess on the percentage of cubs fans in this city?

There just aren't enough 'sox fans' to go around and make it 35,000 every night. There are many other reasons, but that's the big one in my mind.

The sox have as much if not more fans then the Cubs. Problem is the cubs get all the bandwagon, fair weather, tourist, etc, they get that whole group. Oh yeah that stupid park they play in helps them draw fans as well even when the cell is much nicer.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Sep 8, 2005 -> 11:54 PM)
The sox have as much if not more fans then the Cubs.  Problem is the cubs get all the bandwagon, fair weather, tourist, etc, they get that whole group.  Oh yeah that stupid park they play in helps them draw fans as well even when the cell is much nicer.

Damn, you sound bitter. So young, yet so full of angst.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Sep 8, 2005 -> 11:54 PM)
The sox have as much if not more fans then the Cubs.  Problem is the cubs get all the bandwagon, fair weather, tourist, etc, they get that whole group.  Oh yeah that stupid park they play in helps them draw fans as well even when the cell is much nicer.

In the overall scheme of things, those count as fans, because they are going to the ballpark. Doesn't matter who's hardcore and who's not - we're only talking about attendance.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Sep 8, 2005 -> 11:01 PM)
In the overall scheme of things, those count as fans, because they are going to the ballpark. Doesn't matter who's hardcore and who's not - we're only talking about attendance.

Well you were talking about fans :P Attendance is a whole different story. :D

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Sep 8, 2005 -> 10:48 PM)
This is a cubs town. Always has been, always will be.

Anyone want to venture a guess on the percentage of cubs fans in this city?

There just aren't enough 'sox fans' to go around and make it 35,000 every night. There are many other reasons, but that's the big one in my mind.

You know what? I think this just may be the flat-out, simple answer.

Let's guess and say (don't get made, but c'mon) that 70% of the city are Cub fans--by "city" I mean people who go to games. Like you said, that remaining 30% don't leave enough people to sell out consistently.

That just may be it, as simple as it seems.

I can't really figure out another answer, except that the Sox are unable to gain new fans (young or otherwise) as the years pass.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Sep 9, 2005 -> 02:41 PM)
If that's the case, maybe the Sox should be thinking about moving.

:rolly :rolly :rolly :rolly :rolly :rolly :rolly :rolly

I guess the Brewers, Tigers, A's, Twins, D-Backs, Reds, Blue Jays, Rockies, Indians, Pirates, Marlins, Royals and Devil Rays should ALL move too, since they all have worse attendance records than the Sox. GMAFB.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Sep 9, 2005 -> 01:46 PM)
:rolly :rolly :rolly :rolly :rolly :rolly :rolly :rolly

I guess the Brewers, Tigers, A's, Twins, D-Backs, Reds, Blue Jays, Rockies, Indians, Pirates, Marlins, Royals and Devil Rays should ALL move too, since they all have worse attendance records than the Sox.  GMAFB.

All those towns have proven(well minus TB, FLA, & MIN) that if they win, they'll get really really nice crowds. Better than ours, that's for sure. It's a sad day when you're cheering that we broke 2 million. Best teams in baseball usually hit 3 million. Cubs do and I think they even have a smaller stadium than us. It's just something to consider for them. If White Sox fans in the City of Chicago can't afford the games, it's time to look elsewhere. I know that's not the popular opinion, but I rather watch my favorite team succeed(on the field and off) then watch a sea of blue.