Attendance crap

southsideirish71

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Sep 9, 2005 -> 03:29 PM)
All those towns have proven(well minus TB, FLA, & MIN) that if they win, they'll get really really nice crowds. Better than ours, that's for sure. It's a sad day when you're cheering that we broke 2 million. Best teams in baseball usually hit 3 million. Cubs do and I think they even have a smaller stadium than us. It's just something to consider for them. If White Sox fans in the City of Chicago can't afford the games, it's time to look elsewhere. I know that's not the popular opinion, but I rather watch my favorite team succeed(on the field and off) then watch a sea of blue.

Attendance has improved immensely. It all comes down to season ticket holders, honestly. Attendance isn't going to increase by a million over night or in one year, expecting it to is simply ignorant.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Sep 9, 2005 -> 02:31 PM)
Attendance has improved immensely.  It all comes down to season ticket holders, honestly.  Attendance isn't going to increase by a million over night or in one year, expecting it to is simply ignorant.

So you're saying next year attendace will be near 3 million(give or take 100,000)? I highly doubt that. I think even if the White Sox were to win 2 world series in a row, they wouldn't reach 3 million.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Sep 9, 2005 -> 03:33 PM)
So you're saying next year attendace will be near 3 million(give or take 100,000)? I highly doubt that. I think even if the White Sox were to win 2 world series in a row, they wouldn't reach 3 million.

Where did I say it'd be close to 3 million? Point that out to me. It's going to be awfully hard to find, because I didn't.

I just expect attendance to keep climbing. You're expecting huge jumps overnight; it doesn't happen like that.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Sep 9, 2005 -> 03:29 PM)
All those towns have proven(well minus TB, FLA, & MIN) that if they win, they'll get really really nice crowds. Better than ours, that's for sure. It's a sad day when you're cheering that we broke 2 million. Best teams in baseball usually hit 3 million. Cubs do and I think they even have a smaller stadium than us. It's just something to consider for them. If White Sox fans in the City of Chicago can't afford the games, it's time to look elsewhere. I know that's not the popular opinion, but I rather watch my favorite team succeed(on the field and off) then watch a sea of blue.

the sox are never going to be the cubs, get over it people.

We're going to average right around 30k this season and that's fine with me. We're not one of the top tier baseball organizations in the league, why do people expect that? Yes, we're in the 3rd biggest city int he world, but we also split the city with another team that like it or not, is more popular.

nitetrain never fails to make ridiculous statements, hello ignore button.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Sep 9, 2005 -> 02:33 PM)
Where did I say it'd be close to 3 million? Point that out to me.  It's going to be awfully hard to find, because I didn't.

I just expect attendance to keep climbing.  You're expecting huge jumps overnight; it doesn't happen like that.

Well then what? 2.5 million. Honestly, I think those numbers are a failure for the best team in baseball(as so many of you guys refer to it) and I think those numbers are a failure for a WS winning team, especially in the 3rd largest market. I know it's not popular opinion, but it's the truth.

QUOTE(SnB @ Sep 9, 2005 -> 02:34 PM)
the sox are never going to be the cubs, get over it people.

We're going to average right around 30k this season and that's fine with me.  We're not one of the top tier baseball organizations in the league, why do people expect that?  Yes, we're in the 3rd biggest city int he world, but we also split the city with another team that like it or not, is more popular.

nitetrain never fails to make ridiculous statements, hello ignore button.

That whole Cubs BS has gotten out of hand. Again, if they can't reach the numbers the Cubs reach(even after they've proven they can back in the day) then it is time to move. This is a winning team and they deserve better numbers than they got in this series. I don't care if they were playing the Royals. It's the stretch run. Bandwagon fans(described here) are fans who go to games when a club is winning and rooting for that club. Looks like we can't even bandwagon right because we don't have anyone going to the games in Sept for I repeat the 30th consecutive time, "best team in baseball." Obviously, some of our baseball players feel that way too.

Anyways have fun hitting the ignore button. I guess you can't stand opposing viewpoints.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Sep 9, 2005 -> 03:33 PM)

you know what, winning brings fans. The bulls were under 500, never drew many fans, and werent that popular. Then sold out for 13 years. it can happen

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Sep 9, 2005 -> 03:43 PM)
Well then what? 2.5 million. Honestly, I think those numbers are a failure for the best team in baseball(as so many of you guys refer to it) and I think those numbers are a failure for a WS winning team, especially in the 3rd largest market. I know it's not popular opinion, but it's the truth.

Not even 2.5 million, but I still expect a nice increase. 500,000 is a big number to be expecting until we get more season ticket holders. You're just not going to get that many, when you're depending on walkups.

It's ignorant to not think attendance has improved a great deal. However people just LOVE to complain.

Here's an excerpt from Scott Reifert, VP of Communications, on the issue of attendance:

Sorry to put you through this (assuming you have read this far), but I am sure it is frustrating for our fans to read again about attendance in a season when we are going to draw the fourth-biggest figure in the team's 100-plus year history.

April, May and September are tougher draws for us for two main reasons ... school and our season ticket base.  The first makes us a victim of our own success, in my opinion.  The second, we are trying to do something about.

Because so much of our fan base is made up of suburbanites, kids and families, school impacts us a great deal.  Midweek games when school is in session is a tough draw for many teams who rely on kids and families as their base.  Did you notice how empty fundamentals was last night?  Not a lot of kids in the park.  I do think this will change in the future, in part, because the city is continuing to grow around our ballpark.  The closer fans live to us, the more likely they will be to attend midweek games in September.

April, May and September attendance totals are also very dependent upon your season ticket base.  Ours is going up, and we are doing everything we can to continue its growth, but we need to reach a point where we know we will have 15,000 or 18,000 "tickets sold" to every game before we even begin the season.  We aren't there yet, but I believe we will be there very soon.  Last night, we sold about 4,000 walk up tickets.  That is a very, very good number and shows us that interest remains high.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Sep 9, 2005 -> 03:43 PM)
That whole Cubs BS has gotten out of hand. Again, if they can't reach the numbers the Cubs reach(even after they've proven they can back in the day) then it is time to move. This is a winning team and they deserve better numbers than they got in this series. I don't care if they were playing the Royals. It's the stretch run. Bandwagon fans(described here) are fans who go to games when a club is winning and rooting for that club. Looks like we can't even bandwagon right because we don't have anyone going to the games in Sept for I repeat the 30th consecutive time, "best team in baseball." Obviously, some of our baseball players feel that way too.

Anyways have fun hitting the ignore button. I guess you can't stand opposing viewpoints.

And two more things:

--If attendance is your biggest concern when picking a team, go crosstown.

--Were you at the game?

If you weren't, don't b****. Period. I don't see how anyone that's not at the games, has a right to b**** about attendance.

Attendence

2001: 1,766,172 and 22,077 per game ranked 26th

2002: 1,676,911 and 20,702 per game ranked 23rd

2003: 1,939,524 and 23,944 per game ranked 21

2004: 1,930,537 and 24,437 per game ranked 21.... played 79 instead of 81 homegames

2005: 2,039,262 and 28,722 per game ranked 17

now tell me over 4,000 fans per game is not a big improvement? If we go in the playoffs this year and have a fairly decent run fans are going to be excited next year and we wont get off 2 such a slow start attendence wise hopefully 2.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Sep 9, 2005 -> 04:32 PM)
Attendence

2001: 1,766,172 and 22,077 per game ranked 26th

2002: 1,676,911 and 20,702 per game ranked 23rd

2003: 1,939,524 and 23,944 per game ranked 21

2004: 1,930,537 and 24,437 per game ranked 21.... played 79 instead of 81 homegames

2005: 2,039,262 and 28,722 per game ranked 17

now tell me over 4,000 fans per game is not a big improvement?  If we go in the playoffs this year and have a fairly decent run fans are going to be excited next year and we wont get off 2 such a slow start attendence wise hopefully 2.

Exactly! And we still have 10 more home games remaining. That's a great improvement. I don't think anyone can show us an example where, a team suddenly gained a million in attendance from one season to the next.

As Brooks said the other night, his expectations may have been higher for the KC series, but it's awfully nice to just have expectations now. We're improving. You can't ignore that.