WS Nightmare

kevin57

WS, Bottom of the Ninth, do you go with Vizcaino or Marte "to close"  

57 members have voted

1. 1. WS, Bottom of the Ninth, do you go with Vizcaino or Marte "to close"

• Vizcaino
    • Marte
    • I go to Bud and tell him we forfeit

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Sep 8, 2005 -> 09:19 AM)
All because you wanna save a couple extra pennies.

Shnikies...

Get out....NOW....

(Bees...bees in the car...bees everywhere, they're huge and they're sting crazy, don't be the hero, save yourselves, your firearms are useless against them)

Right now, Viz has clearly figured out whatever it was that was keeping him from getting outs earlier in the year.

Is Viz the best guy in our bullpen? Absolutely not. If we go into extra innings and need a guy to go 2 1/3 innings, is Viz our best shot? Very likely so right now, assuming Bobby has already been used.

Marte is dealing with both some serious confidence problems and some serious mechanics problems. Will he work them out before the playoffs? I don't know...but I hope to God he will.

When Marte is on...his stuff is as filty as any left handed relief pitcher in baseball save Wagner. I see no reason why Ozzie shouldn't keep running Marte out there at some point...just to try to see if he can find the pitcher he was 2 years ago.

Either way, Marte should be spending a hell of a lot of time with Cooper right now. If he can get back to throwing strikes to lefties...that's a hell of a weapon to have down in the pen.

QUOTE(kevin57 @ Sep 8, 2005 -> 05:42 AM)
Situation:  It's the ninth inning of the seventh game of the WS.  You have only two choices in your bullpen:  Vizcaino and Marte

Who do you go to? 

BTW, our opponent intends to send their best switch hitter to face one of them.

Impossible! you say?  Given our splendid pitching management this year, nothing is impossible.  Besides, this is a nightmare, and we don't get to choose the bad things that can happen in our nightmares.

Let the sweating begin, Sox fans! :pray  :drink

bring in Marte, have him hit the switch hitter, then either pitch to the next batter if he's lefty, or bring in Viz to face the righty. :P

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 8, 2005 -> 11:33 AM)
Right now, Viz has clearly figured out whatever it was that was keeping him from getting outs earlier in the year.

Is Viz the best guy in our bullpen?  Absolutely not.  If we go into extra innings and need a guy to go 2 1/3 innings, is Viz our best shot?  Very likely so right now, assuming Bobby has already been used.

Marte is dealing with both some serious confidence problems and some serious mechanics problems.  Will he work them out before the playoffs?  I don't know...but I hope to God he will.

When Marte is on...his stuff is as filty as any left handed relief pitcher in baseball save Wagner.  I see no reason why Ozzie shouldn't keep running Marte out there at some point...just to try to see if he can find the pitcher he was 2 years ago.

Either way, Marte should be spending a hell of a lot of time with Cooper right now.  If he can get back to throwing strikes to lefties...that's a hell of a weapon to have down in the pen.

I guess I can see what Oz might have been doing. I agree that Ozzie should keep trotting Marte out there til the end of the month. If he's gonna find it, it's gonna be in game situations, not thinking about it in the the pen. Let's find out NOW if the guy is gonna be useful in the playoffs.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Sep 8, 2005 -> 12:16 PM)
I guess I can see what Oz might have been doing.  I agree that Ozzie should keep trotting Marte out there til the end of the month. If he's gonna find it, it's gonna be in game situations, not thinking about it in the the pen.  Let's find out NOW if the guy is gonna be useful in the playoffs.

My only beef with Ozzie is him basically saying screw the fans (those that boo), I'm trying to win games. How the hell can you be trying to win games when you know Marte has been a gas can?

Either he's lying or he doesn't actually know what he's doing and is more lucky than good. Man, I sure hope he's lying.......

QUOTE(Bias @ Sep 8, 2005 -> 11:44 AM)
My only beef with Ozzie is him basically saying screw the fans (those that boo), I'm trying to win games.  How the hell can you be trying to win games when you know Marte has been a gas can?

Either he's lying or he doesn't actually know what he's doing and is more lucky than good. Man, I sure hope he's lying.......

Gas can. LOL! :lol:

I think Ozzie does have one point though, with the best record in baseball and this season thus far, why the hell are people booing him? From what I heard he didn't complain--he said that's his job to get booed. But on the other, he mentioned the reason those booing are sitting in the stands and he's in the dugout is because he's the boss.

Plus we won the game, and he certainly didn't hesitate to yank Marte when he was throwing away the game. But booing Ozzie? Man that seems a little harsh at this stage...

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Sep 8, 2005 -> 12:57 PM)
Gas can. LOL! :lol:

I think Ozzie does have one point though, with the best record in baseball and this season thus far, why the hell are people booing him?  From what I heard he didn't complain--he said that's his job to get booed.  But on the other, he mentioned the reason those booing are sitting in the stands and he's in the dugout is because he's the boss.

Plus we won the game, and he certainly didn't hesitate to yank Marte when he was throwing away the game.  But booing Ozzie?  Man that seems a little harsh at this stage...

Yes, Sox won and wouldn't we have enjoyed it more had Sweeney not come to the plate with 2 runners on? If it's the playoffs and Manny or Vlad is 5 batters away from coming to the plate none of us would be willing to take the chance of having him/them come up with runners on.

So my point is, if Marte has been struggling for weeks, having trouble throwing strikes etc why take a chance on him walking people and giving the BIG guy/s a chance to hurt us.

I understand a vote of confidence can go a long way, but it seems Tony Robbins would have a difficult time getting Marte in a positve frame of mind.

I hope he turns it around though. Just not sure I want him anywhere near the mound in the 8th or 9th right now.

QUOTE(Bias @ Sep 8, 2005 -> 01:44 PM)
My only beef with Ozzie is him basically saying screw the fans (those that boo), I'm trying to win games.  How the hell can you be trying to win games when you know Marte has been a gas can?

Didn't Ozzie say something along the lines of "we don't play for the fans" a while ago?

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Sep 8, 2005 -> 02:49 PM)
Didn't Ozzie say something along the lines of "we don't play for the fans" a while ago?

I don't care who they play for as long as they continue to win. My point is he's saying he's trying to win games, but bringing Marte into situations he has no business being on the mound leads me to believe he's not totally focused on winning games. If everyone knows Marte is shaky why doesn't Ozzie know it? He must be up to something else... building his confidence or something...it can't be about winning games 'cuz every time Marte has come in lately their chances of winning have gone down.

To keep trotting out Marte to a) build up confidence, B) see what if any value he'll be in playoff situations, or c) both of the above is not an indefensible position, but with a 1-0 lead, even against KC, after his having bombed the night before? I don't know about that one. :huh:

QUOTE(kevin57 @ Sep 8, 2005 -> 01:46 PM)
To keep trotting out Marte to a) build up confidence, B) see what if any value he'll be in playoff situations, or c) both of the above is not an indefensible position, but with a 1-0 lead, even against KC, after his having bombed the night before?  I don't know about that one. :huh:

See...this is the Shingo/Viz problem from earlier in the year...when a pitcher is struggling, the ideal thing to do would be to send him out only when you have a 5 run lead, so that even if he gets a bit bloodied, he still doesn't cost us the game.

Problem is...this team isn't killing people with offense, it's killing people with pitching and enough hitting, so there really aren't that many games where we're sitting around up by 5 runs in the 8th inning.

When we tried that with Shingo earlier in the year...he and Viz were working like every 7th day or so. It just didn't work.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Sep 8, 2005 -> 10:35 PM)
Viz sucks.

Viz had a 2.25 era in June, 1.20 in July, 3.48 in August, and so far he hasn't let up anything in september. Damaso has a 4.50 era in June, 2.57 in July, 4.32 in August, and 18 so far this month. Right now Viz is definitely better.