A Quick Word on The Count

AddisonStSox

Does anyone else realize how important a consistant, dominating Jose Contreras can be in the final push to the playoffs and beyond. This guy has been absolutely stellar his last four outings...and when I say stellar, I mean it in the truest sense of the word. He has been outstanding. His walks are non-existant, he is attacking the strike zone--with EVERY pitch--and he has a confidence and swagger about him the likes of which I've never seen him with before.

My point is this: if Jose truly has figured it out or did something to work on the stuff between his ears, this new-found ace could be like a trade-deadline SP Ace addition. Now, that doesn't mean Kenny gets a free pass, I still would have liked him to pursue a SP--despite the market being an absolute mess.

Hats off to Jose Contreras and let's really keep our fingers crossed on this one. If he can keep this up, the Sox have four devestating pitchers to throw out there in a playoff series.

Whether or not Contreras is a member of the White Sox in 2006 is another story, but, at the very worst, he is at least driving his trade-value through the roof.

Way to go Jos-e.

I hated this guy for months. I've been to SO many games where he started and I would just cringe. We lost most of them.

I was PRAYING that we were gonna get that Florida pitcher and get rid of him when the opportunity arose.

But you're right: all of a sudden he's been the only one (well at least in August) who wasn't getting rocked, and even on a bad night (for him) like last night he still shut them out.

So I take it all back. Maybe he's just a 2nd halfer, who knows?

Now, El Duque's the one I'm slightly concerned about, though...

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Sep 8, 2005 -> 10:50 AM)
Does anyone else realize how important a consistant, dominating Jose Contreras can be in the final push to the playoffs and beyond.  This guy has been absolutely stellar his last four outings...and when I say stellar, I mean it in the truest sense of the word.  He has been outstanding.  His walks are non-existant, he is attacking the strike zone--with EVERY pitch--and he has a confidence and swagger about him the likes of which I've never seen him with before. 

My point is this: if Jose truly has figured it out or did something to work on the stuff between his ears, this new-found ace could be like a trade-deadline SP Ace addition.  Now, that doesn't mean Kenny gets a free pass, I still would have liked him to pursue a SP--despite the market being an absolute mess. 

Hats off to Jose Contreras and let's really keep our fingers crossed on this one.  If he can keep this up, the Sox have four devestating pitchers to throw out there in a playoff series.

Whether or not Contreras is a member of the White Sox in 2006 is another story, but, at the very worst, he is at least driving his trade-value through the roof.

Way to go Jos-e.

He is getting some nice recognition about it too. The fans yesterday gave him a real nice ovation when ozzie took him out in the 8th. He's not a natural fan favorite like Garland, Buehrle or Konerko so that was real nice to see.

Yesterday, Jose went out there with absolute garbage. He was getting hit, walked like 5 people...and struggled pretty much through the first 4 innings of the game.

He still shut them out.

That was a Black-Jack worthy version of finding a way to pitch when your best stuff isn't working. Truly remarkable to watch.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Sep 8, 2005 -> 11:57 AM)
you SHOULD be concerned about The Duke.  He hasnt done anything in the playoffs worthy of a start since 2000.  I think he goes right to the bullpen, and doesnt see much time unless its garbage.

I have never been as concerned about Jose as I am with El Pukee. This guy's favorite activity is going from 0-2, to 3-2, to walk. I would love to see Mark, Jon, Freddy, Brandon, and Jose.

And I hate going to El Dukee games...he always loses when I go (except tuesday) and he drags the game along. Its like watching paint dry.

the power of confidence. This "kid" finally believes in himself. Did you see the quote how he said he's so confident right now that he'll walk a batter to get to someone he'd rather face? That's confidence. Right now I'd put this guy on the bump in the first game of the playoffs. Gotta go with the hot hand.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Sep 8, 2005 -> 12:16 PM)
Right now I'd put this guy on the bump in the first game of the playoffs. Gotta go with the hot hand.

As much as that sounds like crazy talk, its not. Ozzie has some tough playoff decisions coming. But that's why he's the manager and we're not.

QUOTE(bmags @ Sep 8, 2005 -> 11:23 AM)
i felt bad for jose early in the season, he was pitching fairly well but we didn't give him more than 3 runs a game ever..

yep i agree.....jose could be at 15 wins. his first 6 or so starts were very good. then he got cold right around when arizona came in and he got roughed up. zona and baltimore.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2005 @ Sep 8, 2005 -> 02:42 PM)
Jose is 7-2 with a 3.34 era since the break.

Jose was 3-1 with a 2.14 era in August.

In two September starts, Jose is 2-0 with a 1.84 era.

Keep it up big man!

its hard to deny that he has ACE stuff, and hasnt had the head to dominate. I think he may be turning the corner. Then again, what do I know.

I've been saying it all year... This team needed Jose... I couldn't believe how many people wanted to dump him after those three weeks he got cold... You get rid of Orlando next year and insert BMAC, with a dominating Jose, Garland, Garcia, and Buherle... That is going to be fun to watch...

This season is just awesome!!!

Remember Ozzie said something a couple of weeks ago that I thought was interesting: he said Contreras has the best stuff, even though he's not the best pitcher.

Side note: how funny is it when Ozzie blurts out stuff so bluntly? He was talking about B-Mac this week and he says something like "The kid plays three games this season and he sucks," but now he's lights-out.

LOL! You won't hear that from Dusty Baker!

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Sep 8, 2005 -> 04:28 PM)
Remember Ozzie said something a couple of weeks ago that I thought was interesting: he said Contreras has the best stuff, even though he's not the best pitcher. 

Side note: how funny is it when Ozzie blurts out stuff so bluntly?  He was talking about B-Mac this week and he says something like "The kid plays three games this season and he sucks," but now he's lights-out.

LOL!  You won't hear that from Dusty Baker!

Thats because Dusty doesnt play rookies. You cant know how good or bad your players are if you stay with your crappy vets until they crash the ship