Any HP Lovecraft fans here???

Kid Gleason

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Sep 8, 2005 -> 12:04 PM)
http://www.cthulhulives.org/CoC/movieinfo.html

The HP Society has just finished shooting what will probably turn out to be the ultimate film on an HP story. The film was done in a silent film version to set it in the time the story was written in. Watch the trailer, it looks amazing!

Subtitle of this thread assumes there haven't been any good HP Lovecraft adaptions. Ever watch Re-Animator or Necronomicon? :D

I just finished watching the trailer, and must admit I'm not particularily fond of silent films--aside from Nosferatu. Blame my generation for failing to appreciate good movies without blood/guts/gore/explosions. If it does well and I hear the film was good I may consider watching it in the future,though.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Sep 8, 2005 -> 01:18 PM)
Subtitle of this thread assumes there haven't been any good HP Lovecraft adaptions. Ever watch Re-Animator or Necronomicon?  :D

Good films in their own right, but they are NOT H.P. Lovecraft. Inspired by? Yes. Faithful? No, not at all. :D

The Resurrected got close, as did Dagon, but this one when I first saw the trailers seemed to catch it the most.

But now after looking on Amazon, I see all of these from the same HP Society:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-h...6545569-3165717

It seems I need to be spending some money soon...

p.s. I also am a big fan of Die Monster Die and The Haunted Palace.

Edited by Kid Gleason

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Sep 8, 2005 -> 02:18 PM)
I just finished watching the trailer, and must admit I'm not particularily fond of silent films--aside from Nosferatu.

You're depriving yourself of a lot of great films, just in the horror/suspense genres, let alone the rest of the silent era gems.

Nosferatu, of course, is brilliant. But The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, Der Golem, the Chaney Sr. versions of Phantom and Hunchback (among so many others) are also absolute must see films.

QUOTE(Queen Prawn @ Sep 8, 2005 -> 03:09 PM)
Lon Chaney is one of my favorite actors.  His acting abilities were astounding.

Yeah, I remember back when you had that pic of yourself up as your av and it looked eerily like Lon as the Phantom. . . :D

The stop motion Cthulhu sequences in this upcoming flick sound like they're going to be great. As a rabid ffan of all things Harryhausen from way back, I'm pretty sure i'll give this film a try.

For a great starter into silent films you should really check out The Wind starring Lillian Gish. Yeah, I'm a Gish fanatic, but that movie has worked for people who have never liked silent films. It was towards the end of the silent film era (1928) so the techniques had pretty much evolved into what most people associate with modern film. The acting, though still pantomime, had also become much less dramatic. Film actors existed now suddenly only having worked on film and not stage, so the mannerisms had become "film orientated" and not stage. I find that the later era films are always the best to introduce people to, or the comedies of Keaton. Chaplin was king in the day, but his stuff is not as ageless as Keatons was. Chaplin was hurt by his overly melodramatic "sappy" side that was very much a part of the time period. Keaton was just out for laughs, until he did the movie Limelight with...ummm...Chaplin. :D

As for the horror stuff, get ahold of The Cat And The Canary! A personal fave of mine. Obviously Nosferatu is the best, but Cat is such a wonderul movie.