Something fierce...

Heads22

Ummm......s***?! This buildings a block away....

09/08/2005 1230 PM

Ames, Story County.

Tornado, reported by trained spotter.

Near Power Plant on isu Campus.

09/08/2005 1235 PM

Ames, Story County.

Thunderstorm wind gust 83 mph, reported by mesonet.

On the isu Campus - agronomy building.

I thought I saw some pretty low clouds, but wow. Good thing I was near my window.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Sep 8, 2005 -> 02:37 PM)
got a video camera? you won't believe how much you can sell that stuff for!

Nah, I was watching in awe most of the time. I'm sure Cheat will agree it had to have been pretty bad, when I tell him I was on the east end of MWL and could not see Hilton, or the intramural fields on the other side of the parking lots.

When I was there, we had this bright sunny late spring day. (not exactly prime Tornado time in Iowa) I remember that I was apartment hunting, and as I drove back to my dorm I could see a nasty storm on the horizon to the west. By the time I parked, and got up to my floor to alert my freinds to look at the cool storm, a funnel cloud had formed. It was still bright and sunny where we were, but you could see this nasty tornado only about 2 miles away.

It never got to us. It climbed back up into the cloud, but we did see some huge hail and about 5 minutes of really crazy weather.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Sep 8, 2005 -> 02:51 PM)
When I was there, we had this bright sunny late spring day. (not exactly prime Tornado time in Iowa) I remember that I was apartment hunting, and as I drove back to my dorm I could see a nasty storm on the horizon to the west. By the time I parked, and got up to my floor to alert my freinds to look at the cool storm, a funnel cloud had formed. It was still bright and sunny where we were, but you could see this nasty tornado only about 2 miles away.

It never got to us. It climbed back up into the cloud, but we did see some huge hail and about 5 minutes of really crazy weather.

When I looked outside the clouds had dropped to about the top of MWL......that level at least just east of the power plant. It looked more ragged than anything but I must have missed it dropping down. Then it looked like a hurricane out there.

What is it with this county and the messed up storms?

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Sep 8, 2005 -> 01:58 PM)
When I looked outside the clouds had dropped to about the top of MWL......that level at least just east of the power plant. It looked more ragged than anything but I must have missed it dropping down. Then it looked like a hurricane out there.

What is it with this county and the messed up storms?

Didnt you watch twister before you went to iowa?

tornadoalley.jpg

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Sep 8, 2005 -> 03:01 PM)
Didnt you watch twister before you went to iowa?

tornadoalley.jpg

LOL.....my hometown was hit by an F5 in 68 so I know quite a bit about them. It was just crazy watching it unfold. You never expect it to be as dark out as it is at 8 PM these days at noon.

AMES, Iowa Weather officials say a small tornado touched down on the Iowa State University campus this afternoon (today).

The tornado, which registered as a low-level tornado on official scales, stayed on the ground for about half a mile.

Eight people were reportedly injured. The university says one person was sent to a hospital for treatment and observation.

High winds reaching 83 miles per hour and pounding rain that accompanied the storm left streets and sidewalks littered with debris.

A light pole was blown over near the Gerdin Business Building and a facilities truck was heavily damaged when a branch fell on it.

Some tents and portable toilets set up near Jack Trice Stadium for when the Number Eight Hawkeyes play at Iowa State on Saturday were blown into vehicles.