Jorge Posada...

bjm676

From Richard Roeper's column today.

Posada's gift to boy more precious than prized baseball

Faithful readers will recall the item I wrote a few weeks ago chiding a White Sox fan for requesting $20,000 in exchange for the ball that was New York Yankee catcher Jorge Posada's 1,000th career hit -- and the subsequent column I did about how some people look at the rich and famous as human cash registers.

Mike McCormick, 45, a prosecutor with the Cook County state's attorney's office, read that second column, and he's ticked off.

Not at me. At the fan.

"Jorge Posada is a genuinely loving man -- the exact opposite of this so-called 'fan,' " says McCormick.

"I assure you that if the tables were turned, Jorge would not have hesitated to give this fan the ball.

"How do I know this about Jorge Posada? He and I have something very important in common. Both of our sons went through major reconstructive surgery at 3 months of age to correct the effects of craniosynostosis, or CS."

The Web site for the Jorge Posada Foundation has background information on the condition, written from the viewpoint of Posada and his wife, Laura.

"Craniosynostosis is a congenital or birth defect, characterized by premature closure of one or more sutures which causes an abnormally shaped skull . . . in severe cases this condition can cause increased pressure on the growing brain.

"The cause is unknown. It can be hereditary and caused by a genetic defect, or it can occur sporadically in a family with no other affected relatives, like our case with [our son] Jorge Luis. . . .

"The primary treatment for craniosynostosis during infancy is surgery . . . to relieve intracranial pressure, [to] assure that the skull has the capacity to accommodate the brain's growth [and to] attempt to cosmetically improve the appearance of the child's head. While the deformity may vary from mild to severe, the psychological effect of a noticeably misshapen forehead, face and head can cause great problems and is a very important reason for seeking treatment."

Pleasant surprise

Mike McCormick's son, Joe, who turned 7 just last Sunday, had surgery at the age of 3 months to correct the condition.

"We were lucky that the pediatrician caught it and ordered the MRI," says McCormick. "It's a radical procedure. There's an ear-to-ear incision. But you have to do this or the brain isn't allowed to develop. [After the surgery], there were plates and screws in his head, and he had to be on his back for two months. But it sure as hell beat the alternative."

Now, Joe is doing well.

"He has to wear glasses for a lazy eye, but his hair covers the scar . . . he's out there playing baseball five, six hours a day. It's unbelievable."

On Aug. 20 -- the game in which Posada got his 1,000th hit, and the Sun-Times' Toni Ginnetti reported that the fan asked for 20 G's for the ball -- McCormick brought his son and his son's godparents to U.S. Cellular Field.

"Little did I know that [Joe's godparents] had contacted [Posada's] foundation and had arranged a meeting between Joe and Jorge," says McCormick.

"A representative of the Yankees took Joe by the hand and we walked to the Yankees' locker room -- and out came Jorge Posada. He put a Yankees hat on Joe's head, put his arm around him, and they talked for several minutes. He then got a baseball and signed it for Joe."

So Posada actually gave away a baseball that day, but couldn't get one in return. How funny. Or not.

Fan asked to do the right thing

Posada also brought out a couple of friends: Alex Rodriguez and Mariano Rivera. They posed for pictures with the beaming Joe.

"Before Jorge went back, he asked Joe where we were sitting and said he would look for Joe during the game," says McCormick. "I hoped it wasn't an empty promise for Joe's sake as that kid takes everything to heart. It's a sweet trait, but sometimes it can be emotionally disastrous.

"Well, in the 7th inning, Jorge was on third base when Ozzie Guillen called a timeout. Sure enough, Jorge turned, took his helmet off, found Joe, pointed at him and waved. The entire section gave a collective 'awww' when they saw Joe smiling.

"Joe still has that smile on his face. The baseball is on display in his bedroom and that oversized hat is off his head only when he's at school and at night."

As for the fan who asked for the $20,000, McCormick says, "If he's having second thoughts, maybe your column and a look at Posada's Web site will persuade him to turn it over. At the very least, we can bring awareness to CS and [recognize] a true champion. If this fan resurfaces, I will deliver the ball to Jorge in New York. I can promise him a bat and maybe a ball if he promises to be a good Sox fan from now on. Obviously, I'll need ironclad provenance that it's the ball."

And let's not forget, McCormick is a prosecutor.

So maybe we'll get Posada that memento yet.

Not that it matters in the scheme of things. Whether he's got the ball or not, Posada has the 1,000 major league hits -- and he's batting 1.000 with at least one young fan.

Edited by robinventura23

QUOTE(SoxFanForever @ Sep 9, 2005 -> 12:36 AM)
You sure you aren't thinking of Alou?

Anyways, great story.  Jorge is a class act.  What  a nice guy.

Posada does it too.

It is supposedly a "latino" thing...not to be racist or anything, but I almost recall exactly those being words from the horses mouth.

Oh ya...loved the story. I've always like Posada, and always thought he never got the recognition he deserves. Even on the Yankees, I still feel he is one of the most underrated hitters in the league.

Edited by witesoxfan

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Sep 8, 2005 -> 09:40 PM)
Posada does it too.

It is supposedly a "latino" thing...not to be racist or anything, but I almost recall exactly those being words from the horses mouth.

Oh ya...loved the story.  I've always like Posada, and always thought he never got the recognition he deserves.  Even on the Yankees, I still feel he is one of the most underrated hitters in the league.

I'm with you on the whole Posada thing. I typically hate Yankee players, but I've never found a way to hate Posada. He always plays the game hard and really has a great attitude. I remember he got his head lopped off on a throw last year when the Angels were turning a dp. Posada was standing up trying to break up the DP (with a very very late hard slide) and the Angels SS just gunned the throw right at him (like your taught to) and the ball just smashed Jorge in the face.

I think a lot of players would of gotten up and said some words to the Angels SS. Posada the next day said it was the way the game was played. He made the hard late slide and the Angels SS did exactly what your taught to do.

Posada has also turned himself into a pretty decent defensive catcher and the guy can definately hit (even though I think he's having a down year). He's been one Yankee I've always kind of wanted on the Sox.

This story is only going to make me like the guy even more, which I hate to say for a Yank.