MLB could head to London in 2007

greasywheels121

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/8820507

MLB 'very interested' in heading to London during '07 season

CBS SportsLine.com wire reports

LONDON -- One of London's famous cricket venues has joined Major League Baseball's list of potential sites for regular-season games in 2007.

After moving games to Mexico, Puerto Rico and Japan, baseball officials have met with representatives of the Surrey County Cricket Club, which runs The Oval cricket ground in south London. Wet, chilly weather in the spring could make an opening-season game difficult, but a game later in the season is possible.

"Major League Baseball is very interested in playing games in Europe," baseball senior vice president Paul Archey said Thursday. "We're investigating possibilities in Europe where we may be able to play regular-season games as early as the 2007 season."

Archey, who is in the Netherlands for baseball's World Cup, said other venues in Europe being considered included Rome; Paris; Munich, Germany; and Amsterdam and Rotterdam in the Netherlands.

Baseball officials inspected Rome's Olympic Stadium in April 2003. Archey said northern European venues presented weather problems early in the season.

"There's a lot of interest in us playing in London, and I think selling tickets would be the easiest part of it," Archey said.

The World Baseball Classic, a 16-nation event organized by Major League Baseball and its players' association, is to be played next year in March in the United States, Asia and Latin America. Baseball officials say the next regular-season games moved to an international site are likely to be in 2007.

The New York Yankees and Tampa Bay Devil Rays opened the 2004 season with two games in Tokyo, the second pair of regular-season games in Japan. In addition, the Montreal Expos played some games in San Juan for the second straight season in 2004 before the franchise moved to Washington, D.C.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Sep 8, 2005 -> 09:22 PM)
I hope it's solely for like an opening day type series.  I'm sorry, but I don't think we need any of our big leagues to expand outside of the continent.  That just seems like that'd be insanely rough on a schedule.

Yeah no s***, you don't want them on the plane for 8 hours.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Sep 8, 2005 -> 07:22 PM)
I hope it's solely for like an opening day type series.  I'm sorry, but I don't think we need any of our big leagues to expand outside of the continent.  That just seems like that'd be insanely rough on a schedule.

The only way you could do something like that would be to create like an international division where there were enough teams in Europe or some other place that when you traveled you could stay over for a while and play other teams.

If there is one team in Europe, it would be a nightmare for traveling. But I am pretty sure they are talking about having like a series or two out there and I think that would be pretty cool. I'd of course use the Drays and maybe get a team like the Yanks or someone of that magnitude (in fan distinction) to go out there and watch the game.

Drays would probably profit quite a bit from it so I'm sure they'd be up for it.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Sep 9, 2005 -> 12:00 PM)
The only way you could do something like that would be to create like an international division where there were enough teams in Europe or some other place that when you traveled you could stay over for a while and play other teams.

If there is one team in Europe, it would be a nightmare for traveling.  But I am pretty sure they are talking about having like a series or two out there and I think that would be pretty cool.  I'd of course use the Drays and maybe get a team like the Yanks or someone of that magnitude (in fan distinction) to go out there and watch the game. 

Drays would probably profit quite a bit from it so I'm sure they'd be up for it.

How would it be such a travel nightmare? The flight from New York or Boston to LA is about as long as a flight from NY or Boston to London.

QUOTE(winodj @ Sep 10, 2005 -> 07:20 AM)
How would it be such a travel nightmare? The flight from New York or Boston to LA is about as long as a flight from NY or Boston to London.

All teams not on the East Coast would have to first make it to NY or Boston, and THEN take that long flight over the Atlantic.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Sep 10, 2005 -> 11:23 PM)
Does this mean we might have a World Series with teams from actually around the World?

Yeah I've always heard that argument from non - American Baseball Fans "How can ya have a world series if only America is represented?"

Too bad they can't come down here though, but that would never happen.

QUOTE(winodj @ Sep 10, 2005 -> 06:20 AM)

jet lag and time difference would hurt too. I think London is something like 6 hours ahead (?) of us in Chicago. So if they played an afternoon game on a Sat or Sun, it would be like it starting at 7:00 a.m. for players, and like 5:00 a.m. for west coast players.