Ordonez speaks about the Tigers

Balta1701

I came this close to posting this one in Pale Hose Talk...just because it's music to my ears. And methinks a lot of you will enjoy it as well. Merry Christmas Sox fans...from Magglio Ordonez.

Magglio Ordonez spoke softly, but his words landed with a thud -- just like the Tigers' winless September.

"I think we stink," he said after Thursday's 4-2 to the Cleveland Indians. "We should feel embarrassed, the way we are playing and the way we are hitting. We suck."

Ordonez hasn't spoken out about the Tigers like this before. But this season's up-and-down club hasn't been down like this before.

The Tigers have lost eight straight, scoring 10 runs in those eight games. They are 12 games below .500. This isn't what Ordonez, the big-time slugger, envisioned when he signed for five years and $75 million last off-season.

"You don't win ballgames with talent," he said. "You win ballgames with run-scoring and playing defense and playing good ball.

"I wish I knew the answer. I don't know what is going on. I know we are playing hard, but it's not happening."

Ordonez spent his career until this season with the White Sox, and he got used to a winning record. Unless the Tigers win 18 of their final 24 games, Ordonez for the first time in six years will play on a team that finishes with a losing record.

"You have to get used to winning," Ordonez said. "Winning is a habit. Losing is a habit."

The Tigers are on target for their 12th straight losing season.

"We need to change our attitude," Ordonez said. "We should be over .500."

(emphasis mine)

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 9, 2005 -> 11:07 AM)
Magglio Ordonez spoke softly, but his words landed with a thud -- just like the Tigers' winless September.

"I think we stink," he said after Thursday's 4-2 to the Cleveland Indians. "We should feel embarrassed, the way we are playing and the way we are hitting. We suck."

Ordonez hasn't spoken out about the Tigers like this before. But this season's up-and-down club hasn't been down like this before.

The Tigers have lost eight straight, scoring 10 runs in those eight games. They are 12 games below .500. This isn't what Ordonez, the big-time slugger, envisioned when he signed for five years and $75 million last off-season.

"You don't win ballgames with talent," he said. "You win ballgames with run-scoring and playing defense and playing good ball.

"I wish I knew the answer. I don't know what is going on. I know we are playing hard, but it's not happening."

Ordonez spent his career until this season with the White Sox, and he got used to a winning record. Unless the Tigers win 18 of their final 24 games, Ordonez for the first time in six years will play on a team that finishes with a losing record.

"You have to get used to winning," Ordonez said. "Winning is a habit. Losing is a habit."

The Tigers are on target for their 12th straight losing season.

"We need to change our attitude," Ordonez said. "We should be over .500."

hmmmm, I know of a team that wins ballgames by playing defense and playing good ball. Although, they emphasize pitching more than run-scoring. But I dont think that Magglio would understand that.....

Actually this is one of the best things Maggs has ever said. He said all the right things imo and has to be hoping the team gets fired up, plays well down the stretch, and can add another piece or two. Detroit isn't that far off, imo. They do have some quality pitchers.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Sep 9, 2005 -> 12:29 PM)
Actually this is one of the best things Maggs has ever said.  He said all the right things imo and has to be hoping the team gets fired up, plays well down the stretch, and can add another piece or two.  Detroit isn't that far off, imo.  They do have some quality pitchers.

Apparently you havent notice their play. The team is WAYYYYY off. Their attitude is that of our past sox teams. No matter how many bats you add, you are still going to fail. They do not have the core, and are extremely selfish. I dont see detroit doing much in the future.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Sep 9, 2005 -> 11:23 AM)
Apparently you havent notice their play.  The team is WAYYYYY off.  Their attitude is that of our past sox teams.  No matter how many bats you add, you are still going to fail.  They do not have the core, and are extremely selfish.  I dont see detroit doing much in the future.

I think you're completely right in that assessment.

Take a look at the Yankees. They have added a huge amount of bats. A ridiculous amount of power. But what sort of attitude does that team have? ARod, Sheff, etc...all of these guys seem incredibly focused on their own numbers. That team was built based on hiring the guys with the biggest numbers and not caring if they worked together. And what has it gotten them? An offense that worked exactly like ours did last year - they hammer some terrible pitchers, but if a pitcher holds them in check, they don't sacrifice themselves in order to help the team. And then they can't beat the Devil Rays.

The Yankees can do this and still win some games because they have so much money, but the Tigers will never challenge the Yankees in spending. The Tigers can add another bat or another pitcher, but they will never be able to hire enough guys that if their team doesn't mesh and work together, they won't be able to keep up.

Weren't there whispers of Maggs saying he wants out if they don't contend?? Actually I think he said it didn't he??

He followed the money and Detroit was on the otherside, maybe if he would have taken a paycut to play for a team you know will contend he would be happy.

I still like Ordonez but he should have been a little smarter, if he was so sure he was healthy he should've taken a one year contract with incentives somewhere and then signed on a contending team afterwards. Although he was injured half the season he is still proving he can hit now, those homers are way down because of Comerica.

I for some reason also have the feeling he will be dealt sometime during that deal.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 9, 2005 -> 10:44 AM)
I think you're completely right in that assessment.

Take a look at the Yankees.  They have added a huge amount of bats.  A ridiculous amount of power.  But what sort of attitude does that team have?  ARod, Sheff, etc...all of these guys seem incredibly focused on their own numbers.  That team was built based on hiring the guys with the biggest numbers and not caring if they worked together.  And what has it gotten them?  An offense that worked exactly like ours did last year - they hammer some terrible pitchers, but if a pitcher holds them in check, they don't sacrifice themselves in order to help the team.  And then they can't beat the Devil Rays.

The Yankees can do this and still win some games because they have so much money, but the Tigers will never challenge the Yankees in spending.  The Tigers can add another bat or another pitcher, but they will never be able to hire enough guys that if their team doesn't mesh and work together, they won't be able to keep up.

Exactly...Maggs said the exact truth and maybe that will get their asses in gear.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Sep 9, 2005 -> 02:05 PM)
Exactly...Maggs said the exact truth and maybe that will get their asses in gear.

I dont see that happening. Da-meathook, Roidpudge, etc etc. I dont see the character, even their fans are saying they play selfish. Maggs was never one to not play selfish, this is why his stats were so padded. I say F-him he got what he wanted. Guess Burr Ridge doesnt look so bad now huh Maggs???

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Sep 9, 2005 -> 07:43 PM)
I dont see that happening.  Da-meathook, Roidpudge, etc etc.  I dont see the character, even their fans are saying they play selfish.  Maggs was never one to not play selfish, this is why his stats were so padded.  I say F-him he got what he wanted.  Guess Burr Ridge doesnt look so bad now huh Maggs???

Maggz wasnt a stat padder while he was here he was a good ballplayer and was willing to hit behind Frank for his whole time here until the very last year when Frank finally let him have the 3 hole. Maggz was easily our best player for a long time and despite the way he left I loved him when he was here.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 9, 2005 -> 01:55 PM)
Ordonez got exactly the money he would have gotten had he never been hurt from Detroit.  He had plenty of options to try to go to different teams and see if they contend...us, the Cubs, etc.  He took the biggest contract.

He also took the only contract that was offered post surgery.

And it is nice to know that so many people here would never leave the company they are working for to make more money elsewhere. Wanting to gte paid as well as other people for doing the same job would never enter anyone's minds here.

LMAO

QUOTE(Texsox @ Sep 12, 2005 -> 12:14 AM)
He also took the only contract that was offered post surgery.

And it is nice to know that so many people here would never leave the company they are working for to make more money elsewhere. Wanting to gte paid as well as other people for doing the same job would never enter anyone's minds here.

LMAO

And 29 other MLB owners are still laughing at Mike Illitch for it.