Jenks settling into his role

bjm676

Jenks settling into role

CHICAGO -- The call came to the visitors' bullpen Monday afternoon for Bobby Jenks to close out the White Sox victory over Boston before a sold-out crowd at Fenway Park. It would not be a save situation in this particular instance for the hard-throwing rookie, not with the White Sox leading by a 5-0 margin.

But before Jenks trotted from the bullpen to the mound, Dustin Hermanson, the White Sox incumbent closer, had a question for the young right-hander.

"I asked him, 'What's the score?' And he said. '4-3,'" said Hermanson with a smile, exhibiting the look of a proud mentor. "I'm trying to prepare him or have him thinking that every game he's going into is a 4-3 game.

"When it comes time for a real save, he feels like he's already been out there eight, nine or 10 times in that same exact situation," Hermanson added.

Jenks, 24, has been one of the most compelling stories during a White Sox season filled with great tales of success, posting a 2.16 ERA and 31 strikeouts in 25 innings since being called up from Double-A Birmingham. Featuring a 100-mph fastball and 86-mph offspeed offerings, Jenks has gone from a troubled soul years ago as part of the Angels organization to a featured relief role on the team with the best record in the American League.

This current role might not be quite as prominent, if not for the ongoing back pain suffered by Hermanson. In fact, Hermanson's 34 saves in 37 opportunities during his first full-time closing situation falls as one of the few scenarios of success rivaling the numbers produced by Jenks.

Hermanson has gutted his way through most of the current season, resigned to the fact he will pitch at no better than 85 percent until he completely shuts down after the playoffs. But with Hermanson's status serving as the definition of day-to-day, he has been kind enough to share late-inning wisdom with Jenks in preparing him for the nerve-wracking work with the game on the line.

Every appearance has been a lesson for Jenks, whether he's giving up a three-run home run to Tony Graffanino in the ninth inning Monday at Boston, or picking up his first career save during a big victory at the Metrodome. These regular-season efforts confirm Jenks' belief that he can finish games, even if it's during a series-deciding postseason contest in an hostile environment.

"There's a big difference, but you have to go out there and approach it as if it's a regular-season save," Jenks said of closing in the postseason. "You have to take it like it's a regular game.

"Right now, hopefully nothing bad happens to Hermie where he can't go. But if they call on me in that type of situation, I believe I can do it. Absolutely. I have enough confidence, and trust myself to get the job done."

Ozzie Guillen holds the ultimate level of trust in Jenks. Actually, the White Sox manager has built the bullpen force that is Jenks, putting him in carefully chosen situations to let his talent eventually take over.

But Jenks learned another valuable lesson during the White Sox 1-0 victory over the Royals on Wednesday night. Despite retiring the first two batters he faced, Guillen replaced him with Damaso Marte when left-handed slugger Matt Stairs was announced as a ninth-inning pinch-hitter.

It's clear that Jenks has caught the fans' fancy, judging by the chorus of boos raining down as Guillen walked to the mound. Yet, Guillen is not about to change the philosophy of going by matchups and his gut feeling, which has worked so well all season.

Besides, Jenks has not become the de facto closer if Hermanson is unavailable.

"Thank God we found the right spot for him, and he's throwing the ball the way he's throwing it," Guillen said of Jenks. "I love this kid, but I never said Jenks is a Superman or the savior of this team."

Of course, Guillen might think twice about removing Jenks in the future, even with a left-hander at the plate, after Marte hit the two lefties he faced on Wednesday. Much like his confidence in Jenks, though, Guillen has not lost faith in the valuable piece of the bullpen puzzle that is Marte.

Guillen simply wants him to pitch in the dominant fashion that he is capable. He made that point abundantly clear during a visit to Marte on the mound Wednesday, and had pitching coach Don Cooper stress the same thoughts to the left-hander after the game.

"I don't like it when Marte goes out there and doesn't want to attack people," said Guillen of his left-hander, who has a 3.43 ERA over 60 games, but has allowed 40 hits and 30 walks over 42 innings. "He doesn't want to pitch the way he should pitch.

"It can be a lot of things. Mental, guts. I think physically he's pretty fine. But like I told him, 'We need you. We need you to step up and do a good job because I count on you.'

"If I don't have Marte in my bullpen," Guillen added, "I guarantee you Jenks is still pitching."

The White Sox have one of the most consistent closers in baseball, and then at least four other options to fill in if Hermanson can't go on a given day. Jenks' name sits near or at the top of that particular list.

He believes in his ability. So does Guillen, and so do Jenks' teammates.

"Absolutely," Hermanson said. "Jenks is a closer."

"He's pitched in Yankee Stadium, against A-Rod and [Gary] Sheffield," added catcher A.J. Pierzynski of Jenks. "He's pitched in big games, closed in Minnesota and pitched in Boston. It's not like he's never been in big situations before. He throws strikes and that's what you want from a closer."

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Sep 9, 2005 -> 11:48 AM)
I do however find it comical that most wanted Kennys head on a platter when he didnt do anything at the deadline and wavier wire, but we later found out Jenks was asked to be involved in most of the deals.

Hmph, I never heard that.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Sep 9, 2005 -> 10:00 PM)
This is gonna stick too. When Hawk gives you a nickname, it stays with you for your Baseball life.

bobby needs to change his name to leroy brown, then we might have something with that nickname

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2005 @ Sep 10, 2005 -> 06:42 AM)
What a performance by Bobby tonight.  So f***in clutch.  I wish we had more like him.

I wish he pitched about half what he did tonight. Thanks for Oz for burnin him for the series while Cotts gets a third of a f***ing inning.

Bobby Jenks 45 pitches

Neal Cotts 2 pitches

I see a little bit of a problem there.

Edited by SoxFanForever

QUOTE(SoxFanForever @ Sep 10, 2005 -> 08:09 AM)
I wish he pitched about half what he did tonight.  Thanks for Oz for burnin him for the series while Cotts gets a third of a f***ing inning.

Bobby Jenks 45 pitches

Neal Cotts 2 pitches

I see a little bit of a problem there.

Marte's problems probably have Ozzie spooked, so he doesn't want to burn out Neal.

QUOTE(Frank the Tank 35 @ Sep 10, 2005 -> 08:34 AM)
Is it just me, or does it seem like Bobby is Ozzie's whipping boy?  I seem to remember Jenks getting put in for multiple innings several times when the Sox went to extras yet never getting a win from it.

Ozzie treats Jenks pretty well in the media.

Early on, Jenks was used in non-save situations, blowouts, etc to get his feet wet, build up his confidence etc. Now he's throwing when the game's on the line