Buehrle's chances at 20 are done

White Sox Josh

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Sep 10, 2005 -> 01:15 AM)
With this no-dec.  Dunno about his Cy chances.

Get off the Kool Aid, He'll be lucky to be in the top 8 ;)

I can give a Rodants Arse about the Cy Young. I want the World Series

QUOTE(JoshPR @ Sep 10, 2005 -> 12:58 AM)
Get off the Kool Aid, He'll be lucky to be in the top 8  ;)

I can give a Rodants Arse about the Cy Young. I want the World Series

he will be in the top 5 who is better? Colon maybe but his ERA isn't as good. Buehrle has the best ERA in the AL. Santana to little to late. Rivera's team probably won't see the playoffs. Halladay isn't gonna qualify. So you tell me how he stays out of the top 5.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Sep 10, 2005 -> 01:39 AM)
he will be in the top 5 who is better?  Colon maybe but his ERA isn't as good.  Buehrle has the best ERA in the AL.  Santana to little to late.  Rivera's team probably won't see the playoffs.  Halladay isn't gonna qualify.  So you tell me how he stays out of the top 5.

Bartolo Colon, Jon Garland, Mariano Rivera, Johan Santana. All have been better than Buehrle...Colon and Garland all around, Rivera having an outstanding year all around, and Santana being the ONLY reason Minnesota even has a chance in hell at the playoffs.

That puts Buehrle at exactly 5. Include the best pitcher on the Wild Card team statistically, or the one who has had the best second half(looking at Sabathia, Lee, RJ, Mussina, Zito) and that knocks Buehrle right the hell out of there. Hell, perhaps there is a chance Hermanson/Nathan/KRod/Street could knock him out of the top 5 too.

Buehrle's not a lock to make the top 5, and probably won't...and there's no guarantee he'll be top 8 either.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Sep 10, 2005 -> 02:39 AM)
he will be in the top 5 who is better?  Colon maybe but his ERA isn't as good.  Buehrle has the best ERA in the AL.  Santana to little to late.  Rivera's team probably won't see the playoffs.  Halladay isn't gonna qualify.  So you tell me how he stays out of the top 5.

Colon or Rivera will win. Garland will come in 4th. Colon, Rivera, Santana, Garland. May even add Cliff Lee in there too

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Sep 10, 2005 -> 01:57 AM)
Bartolo Colon, Jon Garland, Mariano Rivera, Johan Santana.  All have been better than Buehrle...Colon and Garland all around, Rivera having an outstanding year all around, and Santana being the ONLY reason Minnesota even has a chance in hell at the playoffs.

That puts Buehrle at exactly 5.  Include the best pitcher on the Wild Card team statistically, or the one who has had the best second half(looking at Sabathia, Lee, RJ, Mussina, Zito) and that knocks Buehrle right the hell out of there.  Hell, perhaps there is a chance Hermanson/Nathan/KRod/Street could knock him out of the top 5 too.

Buehrle's not a lock to make the top 5, and probably won't...and there's no guarantee he'll be top 8 either.

but Buehrle has the top ERA in the AL.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Sep 10, 2005 -> 02:44 PM)
Halladay is going to be out of qualifying pretty soon.  I think in the next couple days or so.

Halladay won't qualify cause he's got 140 Innings and you have to have an inning for each game played by your team. The only way is that the season would end today and that ain't happening

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Sep 10, 2005 -> 04:44 PM)
Sadly Garland choked away his CY Young chances today against the Angels... We got to see this years CY Young Bartolo Colon in action though...

Choke???

Why is it that a player has a bad game and he chokes? Sheesh cut them some slack, if it was up to a few here the Darn team would go 162-0 and if they would go 161-1 some would still b**** :banghead

QUOTE(JoshPR @ Sep 10, 2005 -> 01:58 PM)
Choke???

Why is it that a player has a bad game and he chokes? Sheesh cut them some slack, if it was up to a few here the Darn team would go 162-0 and if they would go 161-1 some would still b****  :banghead

Whether it was a bad game, choking, or what...here's what matters...both Garland and Buehrle had bad games when they needed to have good games.

Both Garland and Buehrle are basically out of the Cy Young race.

Right now, there is no more reason not to go with the 6 man rotation for the last motnh of the season. Get the kid some more work (see if he can make a run at Herschiser's 56 inning streak while we're at it), and save the arms of our starters more. There is no more reason not to do it.

And following up a 7 game winning streak with a 3 game losing streak is plenty of a reason to b*tch, IMHO.

Jeckle is right. Buehrle and Garland have both choked on big fat ones. This is a playoff like series. And what have our two best pitchers done? I have no faith in either of these guys come playoffs. And that's if we make it. If the Indians win tonight, they're 6 1'2 games out with 6 games still to play against us. These next few weeks might get very ugly.

QUOTE(JoshPR @ Sep 10, 2005 -> 02:58 PM)
Choke???

Why is it that a player has a bad game and he chokes? Sheesh cut them some slack, if it was up to a few here the Darn team would go 162-0 and if they would go 161-1 some would still b****  :banghead

Today's matchup was a key battle of American League Cy-Young candidates. This series was touted as both a possible playoff preview and the duel of two tremendous pitchers (Colon/Garland).

Remember how one matchup, one game, can change perception of a player. We all knew Rowand was a great defensive outfielder; but it took one series at New York for the national media to catch on. Due to the heightened exposure surrounding Rowand he may win a Golden Glove because of those three games alone.

This matchup was shown nationally and billed as "two of American League's best pitches squaring off." Garland BLEW IT. Choked. His Cy-Young was lost this afternoon. Anyone on the fence completely shifted towards Colon after Garland's crapfest.

Edited by Flash Tizzle