Big Hurt looks to the future

greasywheels121

http://whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/ar...t=.jsp&c_id=cws

Big Hurt looks to the future

Veteran officially calls an end to 2005 season

By Scott Merkin / MLB.com

CHICAGO -- Frank Thomas' mind tells him that it's not time to retire from the game of baseball.

In fact, Thomas believes he still has three productive years to add to his already impressive resume. Now, the Big Hurt just has to get his body to agree.

Returning to the White Sox clubhouse for the first time since he was placed on the disabled list on July 21 with a new fracture near his left navicular, Thomas told a large group of Chicago media that he has given up hope of returning in 2005 after being transferred to the 60-day disabled list. Even if the fracture heals quicker than expected, there won't be enough time for Thomas to get into playing shape to contribute.

As for his future, Thomas will know more on Sept. 15. The prolific slugger will return to Los Angeles for a full examination by Dr. Richard Ferkel, and the results will dictate whether Thomas needs a second surgery.

Thomas said earlier this season that a second surgery on his ankle would all but end his career. But he didn't want to even explore that possibility on Friday.

"Who knows? I'm not a Zen master," said Thomas of what would happen if a second surgery was needed. "I'm going to heal sooner or later. I just don't have the feeling I'm ready to retire yet, and that's important to me mentally.

"I'm trying to do anything possible to stay away from the second surgery," Thomas quickly added.

The 500-homer plateau still remains an important goal for Thomas to reach, and he currently sits 52 short. That particular number probably won't be needed for Thomas to eventually be elected to the Hall of Fame. Not with his overall body of work or the recent steroids blight on the game, a use of strength that Thomas never even considered exploring.

On Friday, though, Thomas chose to focus on the White Sox as a team. He talked about their chances to win the World Series in 2005, and his chance to return as part of the team in 2006.

His contract status has been mentioned seemingly countless times since Spring Training. Thomas has a $10 million player option for next season, but the White Sox also have a $3.5 million buyout that could sever their 16-year relationship with Thomas.

Thomas added that no new contract talks have taken place with the White Sox. Then again, he doesn't expect anything until after the season.

"I'm going to play, irregardless," said Thomas, who believes he has plenty of time to heal and be ready to return for Spring Training. "I hope it will be here, if not, you got to do what you got to do.

"If I'm not here, it will be a great ride. But I'm going to do everything possible to come back here. I would love to be a White Sox player for life, everybody knows that. But it's a numbers game sometimes. We'll see how it works out."

After answering close to 30 rapid-fire questions from the media, Thomas greeted a few of his teammates and checked in with athletic trainer Herm Schneider. He plans on being with the team until the return to Los Angeles, and he also hopes to be with the White Sox for the American League Central clincher and during the playoffs.

General manager Ken Williams recently expressed a desire to have Thomas on the bench for the postseason, with the White Sox taking advantage of his offensive acumen. Thomas seemed amenable to the idea, although he said it would be tough if he was still wearing a cast.

White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen didn't seem to care about Thomas' cast, stating that he's a big part of the current team and the White Sox franchise, and he deserves to be there.

"As long as he's not naked, he can be here any way he wants," said Guillen of Thomas, drawing a big laugh with his assessment. "I know you cannot be on the bench without a uniform, but if he wants to be on the bench and if he wants to be with the guys, he's more than welcome."

Thomas appears to have had his fill of wearing casts, with one fixed on his left leg for most of the past year. He currently is wearing a walking cast -- making it easier for him to get around -- with a bone stimulator underneath, which is speeding up the healing process.

A healthy dose of confidence emanated from Thomas when he talked about the current White Sox squad. He wasn't quite as certain about his own future, but he remained very hopeful.

"It's not a good feeling. This is what I do, and I haven't been able to do it for a while," said Thomas, who has been watching a great deal of baseball on television while at home in Las Vegas. "I just have to keep on trucking. But I'm happy for everyone.

"These guys are going to make it happen. I've told you guys before that with their strong pitching staff, they are going to hold it together. As long as the pitching continues like it has been, you are going to have a chance at winning."

QUOTE(rangercal @ Sep 10, 2005 -> 08:27 AM)
Unlike my maggs jersey, I will always wear my Frank jersey, No matter what.

If they re-sign Frank in the Offseason, even to a 1 year deal, I will immediately buy a Frank Jersey. That day. In fact, that hour.

I just don't want to see him in any other color if I'm going to invest in one. Yes, I know that it will always work, but I still don't like that idea.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 10, 2005 -> 03:51 PM)
If they re-sign Frank in the Offseason, even to a 1 year deal, I will immediately buy a Frank Jersey.  That day.  In fact, that hour.

I just don't want to see him in any other color if I'm going to invest in one.  Yes, I know that it will always work, but I still don't like that idea.

Buy it anyway. For the most part I am a Frank Thomas critic, but you have to recognize the 15 years he has spent with the team. Plus his jersey will always be in, ala Jordan. DO IT!!!

I almost think I'd send Frank up there with a cast on instead of some of these enemic putzs'. To say Frank wouldn't help this team right now is ridiculous. If he's not brought back next year...I'll be pissed.

How many more games do you think having Frank in the lineup would we have won already?!?...I think we'd be at least 10-11 games up right now.