Bears vs. Redskins 9/11 Game Thread

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 11, 2005 -> 06:30 PM)
I'm sure happy the Bears took a RB in the draft instead of another WR to compliment Moose.  He's the only WR that can get open.

Yeah, 'cause having Mike Williams on the field today really would've ensured us a victory. I mean, Thomas Jones is probably one of the best halfbacks in the league, right? :rolly

GMAB. I can see you ripping on the decision to draft Benson rather then Cadillac, but Jones isn't an elite back. We need an elite back to win.

I fully expect to see a lot more carries -- ten plus -- from Benson next week.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Sep 11, 2005 -> 11:16 PM)
Yeah, 'cause having Mike Williams on the field today really would've ensured us a victory.  I mean, Thomas Jones is probably one of the best halfbacks in the league, right?  :rolly

GMAB.  I can see you ripping on the decision to draft Benson rather then Cadillac, but Jones isn't an elite back.  We need an elite back to win.

I fully expect to see a lot more carries -- ten plus -- from Benson next week.

Thomas Jones is a lot more productive at his position than any 2nd WR the Bears have. Any RB in the Bears system is going to produce about the same. As long as the opposition can stuff the box, no RB on this planet will have extremely productive games.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 12, 2005 -> 12:15 AM)
Thomas Jones is a lot more productive at his position than any 2nd WR the Bears have.  Any RB in the Bears system is going to produce about the same.  As long as the opposition can stuff the box, no RB on this planet will have extremely productive games.

No. Thomas Jones is mediocre, and no team will win anything with him at RB, unless Peyton Manning is behind center.

Having Mike Williams today would have meant nothing.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Sep 11, 2005 -> 02:06 PM)
Not eaten alive. Just eaten. And Azumah got burned by Thrash today, not Moss. Tillman was on Moss throughout the whole game.

Nope, Moss burned Zoom on a 3rd down play where he came across the field and Zoom had a horrible angle and Moss caught it and went for a while.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Sep 12, 2005 -> 12:20 AM)
No.  Thomas Jones is mediocre, and no team will win anything with him at RB, unless Peyton Manning is behind center.

Having Mike Williams today would have meant nothing.

If we're talking about players that the only way their team would win anything is because of them, then there's only one skill position player, Moose, that would start for a Super Bowl team. If Thomas Jones is mediocre, I don't want to know what Justin Gage is. Jerry Angelo better be fired after this season. To draft a RB after making Jones your key FA signing in ridiculous.

I don't know why everyone's so negative. I saw a lot of positives in todays game. Namely Kyle Orton, the guys going to be really good. He throws a really accurate ball and has a strong arm. Best of all he has the attitude of a great quarterback. He's going to make his share of mistakes, but he's going to learn and adjust and get better and better at making quicker and better reads.

The Bears have a bright future and they got a shot to start that future this year. Mushin = THE MAN. Dallas Clark = FUMBLITIS. That moron fumbles about .7 times a touch. Freaking imbocile.

Ced looked good in his couple carries and picked up a key block on one passing play he was in. Oline did a good job early in the 2nd half (as a part of 2 drives) and than fell totally apart when they had 3 straight false starts. After that the oline looked absolutely futile.

Once again a Lovie coached team shot themselves in the foot way too many times (once with the INT when the Bears were in FG range at a minimum) and than the 3 penalties and sacks when they got to the Skins 34 on like 1st or 2nd down. Last year was a joke (I blamed Shea for all the penalties) but they better not continue this year.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Sep 11, 2005 -> 07:28 PM)
I don't know why everyone's so negative. I saw a lot of positives in todays game.  Namely Kyle Orton, the guys going to be really good.  He throws a really accurate ball and has a strong arm.  Best of all he has the attitude of a great quarterback.  He's going to make his share of mistakes, but he's going to learn and adjust and get better and better at making quicker and better reads.

The Bears have a bright future and they got a shot to start that future this year.  Mushin = THE MAN.  Dallas Clark = FUMBLITIS.  That moron fumbles about .7 times a touch.  Freaking imbocile. 

Ced looked good in his couple carries and picked up a key block on one passing play he was in.  Oline did a good job early in the 2nd half (as a part of 2 drives) and than fell totally apart when they had 3 straight false starts.  After that the oline looked absolutely futile.

Once again a Lovie coached team shot themselves in the foot way too many times (once with the INT when the Bears were in FG range at a minimum) and than the 3 penalties and sacks when they got to the Skins 34 on like 1st or 2nd down.  Last year was a joke (I blamed Shea for all the penalties) but they better not continue this year.

:headbang LETS BEAT DETROIT :headbang

I can already tell you this seasons priorties in the off-season. 1st round, I'm drafting a freaking offensive lineman and hopefully there will be a really good one out there. If not an oline man in round 1, than I go stud WR in RD 1 to join Bradley and Mushin (these two are winners and they need 1 more quality guy around them).

But the big key is getting a legitimate tight end in here. A great TE is a QB's best friend. I don't know what will be out there, but maybe a Todd Heap or someone of that caliber will be a FA (Bubba Franks even). Someone that can be a good pass catching TE for 3rd downs and PA plays.

Defensively I'd look for someone to replace Hunter, but aside from that, resign Zoom and I got no complaints with this defense. The unit will control to grow and gel.

Orton is the future, find out if Rex can get healthy and be the 2 or find a legitimate backup.

Jason, I actually agree what you said. I haven't said much about the game, so here are my thoughts...

-The offensive line did really well on pass protection, but really poorly making holes for Thomas Jones. Tom Thayer was talking about how, on the run, it's not like the defensive line was in the backfield all day, but they weren't giving any ground, either, and I agree with that.

-I'm pretty happy with our WR core. Looks like Mushin is the go-to guy, Berrian and Bradley being the speedsters on the outside, and Wade and Gage being situational/posession receivers. I was really pleased to see Orton hit Gage down in the redzone. The only thing I was dissappointed in was seeing Moose drop a couple catchable passes.

-Our TE's blow. Clark is no threat at all. On the field, he looks old and slow.

-Defensively... I know they only let up nine points, but they still left me a wee-bit dissappointed. Early on, there were some third-downs where the Bears really could have taken the crowd out of it, yet they were able to complete some passes to move the ball a little bit.

But I'm not gonna nit-pick. They were good today, and I'm just saying that they could have been better. But that's pretty encouraging that on a medicore day defensively, they held the opposing team to single digits.

This team doesn't need O-Lineman. They have enough already. Garza is really good at plowing guys to make holes for the run game. It seems that our team need to gel together better as a unit for the run blocking scheme. We don't need to waste a pick on that though. It needs offensive skilled position players. Give me a stud WR or TE or QB. Get Vince Young, Leinart or Cook if there a way to get either of them.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 11, 2005 -> 07:04 PM)
Vince Young is not an NFL QB.  Leinart is not very highly regarded among all NFL scouts, as some think he's a product of the USC offense.

Vince Young most definately is an NFL QB. He has as much if not more poise than Orton. The guy is a double threat. Great arm strength and accuracy is supposed to be his weakness, but even that is not as bad as Vick's. Young is a gamechanger who adds a different dimension to his team. He's most definately an NFL QB. I could understand if you don't like the running QB mold, but Young will be a stud.

Leinart would be really good running a pro-style offense. At first, I thought he simply was a product of his system, but there's a reason that if he came out this past year he would've been the #1 pick in the NFL. The right scouts obviously think highly of him.

I'm just relaying directly what I heard from a major NFL agent about those guys. Young has a very bad release, and NFL scouts think he might end up being made a WR in the NFL. It's funny, but the name I've heard Leinart compared to is Rex Grossman. I actually like Leinart though, and would take him this second over Kyle Orton.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 11, 2005 -> 07:10 PM)
I'm just relaying directly what I heard from a major NFL agent about those guys.  Young has a very bad release, and NFL scouts think he might end up being made a WR in the NFL.  It's funny, but the name I've heard Leinart compared to is Rex Grossman.  I actually like Leinart though, and would take him this second over Kyle Orton.

Young's arm slot looks okay with me. I think he would make an exceptional QB in the league and that would be his best position. Grossman isn't that bad except for the fact that he can't stay on the field.

I don't see Vince Young making it through the rest of this season healthy. He got the piss beat out of him against a very good OSU defense and if he continues to run like he's currently doing, he's going to take a seriously beating from other teams as well. Hell, near the end of the OSU game he was feeling dizzy from all the hits he had taken, I see him getting a concussion or other serious injury somewhere around game 6 or 7. That can't help his NFL status.

Vince Young wont be an NFL QB... his arm strength isnt that great and he isnt michael vick on the ground to make up for his lack of passing skills. If he is in the NFL it will be as a converted WR. Leinart should be a very good QB in the NFL but idonno if I want to take a chance/waste a pick on another QB. Would be really cool if we could trade for Bree's this off-season... I dont think the chargers will trade Rivers and he has to start somewhere next season.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Sep 11, 2005 -> 07:22 PM)
I don't see Vince Young making it through the rest of this season healthy. He got the piss beat out of him against a very good OSU defense and if he continues to run like he's currently doing, he's going to take a seriously beating from other teams as well. Hell, near the end of the OSU game he was feeling dizzy from all the hits he had taken, I see him getting a concussion or other serious injury somewhere around game 6 or 7. That can't help his NFL status.

He felt dizzy, that's true. Dizzy enough to not be able to keep his poise or lead his team to a comeback victory? Nope. Any football player after any game is hurting. That's the nature of the beast. That's why they don't play games every other day. He'll make it through the whole season.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Sep 11, 2005 -> 07:30 PM)
Vince Young wont be an NFL QB... his arm strength isnt that great and he isnt michael vick on the ground to make up for his lack of passing skills.  If he is in the NFL it will be as a converted WR.  Leinart should be a very good QB in the NFL but idonno if I want to take a chance/waste a pick on another QB.  Would be really cool if we could trade for Bree's this off-season... I dont think the chargers will trade Rivers and he has to start somewhere next season.

Care to make a wager that he'll be a drafted a QB and play QB in the NFL? His arm strength is pretty damn good. His accuracy is arguably better than Vick's and his and Vick's speed is the same. It was even said in the OSU/Texas telecast on ABC. The thing Young doesn't have that Vick has is the incredible athleticism. I'm not talking about speed, but the flips and the ability to make people miss. That's why Young won't be a WR in the league. He has speed and all that, but he doesn't have the crafty moves.

As far as Brees, I don't see the Bears getting him. They'll either draft a QB, sign one through FA or keep Orton. I'm going with the latter.