Someone reassure me

BigSqwert

I've been trying very hard to stay positive lately but I can't help but to feel that this team will inevitably let me down. Aside from a few small stretches where we beat up on some mediocre teams, the Sox have looked very beatable since the A's series right before the All Star Break. As much as I try to forget about the uninspiring last couple of months in 2000 this just seems like deja vu. I hope they prove me wrong but I don't have a ton of confidence in this team right now.

I'm not trying to be mr negative. Just sharing my feelings. I still love this team.

:gosox1:

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Sep 11, 2005 -> 03:47 AM)
I've been trying very hard to stay positive lately but I can't help but to feel that this team will inevitably let me down.  Aside from a few small stretches where we beat up on some mediocre teams, the Sox have looked very beatable since the A's series right before the  All Star Break.  As much as I try to forget about the uninspiring last couple of months in 2000 this just seems like deja vu.  I hope they prove me wrong but I don't have a ton of confidence in this team right now. 

I'm not trying to be mr negative.  Just sharing my feelings.  I still love this team.

It is no secret that the Sox haven't played well against contending playoff teams. I myself am worried to about a let down in the post season. But the only thing that s assuring is that anything can happen in the playoffs. I still loves this team too, but I and many other posters on this board fel the same way you do.

I think I can reassure you pretty well...

In 2001, Arizona beat the Yankees. They did so on the backs of 2 great pitchers and a lot of luck.

In 2003, Florida beat the Yankees. They did so on the back of basically 1 pitcher who got incredibly hot.

In 2004, the Red Sox came back from an incredibly deep hole, one from which no team had emerged from in history.

We have a good team. There are other good teams out there. We've beaten those good teams when we've been playing well. Aside from that 7 game losing streak, we've beaten Cleveland, Boston, and New York. We can win those games. We just need a few people to get hot.

It can happen. It has happened before.

Minnesota, in 2002, was 15-14 in September(a .500 Pyth W-L), and were 14-10 in September(played way over their heads, being outscored in September by their opponents)

This is a team that won the ALDS against probably one of the best second half teams in the past 10 years(42-12 in August and September combined). They ended up losing to the Angels in the ALCS, but that Angels team was just ridiculously hot.

This White Sox team has better pitching up and down than that Minnesota team had, to go along with a better offense.

We'll be fine.

I don't know if I'd say we'll be fine, but I will say that once we get there, we've got as good a shot as any of the other 8 teams, and probably a better shot than most of them. It just takes a couple guys stepping up. We've seen these guys on this team do it already this year.

I would, but it's very hard to reassure anyone of this team right now. Best you could do is support them and hope for the best.

Well said.

Me thinks we are in trouble, deep trouble, simply because the Tribe refuses to start sucking.

At least we're going to find out if this team has any balls.

We've been beat up and our lineup has changed a lot because of injuries and we're not the team we once were. Can we suck it up and hold off the Tribe?

If this lead dips to four games or five soon we are gonna hear the 69 Cubs talk over and over again.

I think we have the balls to get our act together, but I'm not 100 percent positive anymore, Moronotti be damned.

You are a fan of a good baseball team. They have just as good of a shot of winning it as anyone right now. You have nothing to lose from enjoying them play baseball and possibly winning it all. Enjoy it, what is the worst that can happen? They lose or don't make the World Series? That isn't something new. We will all survive whether they make it or not.

I try and stay positive most of the time, but I'm scared to death of what's to come for these guys. Are two best pitchers, you know, "the Cy Young Canidates" have been getting knocked around all over the place the last month or so against elite teams. We had a damn 15 1/2 game lead on August 1st. Now it's down to 6 1/2 with 6 games to go against a RED HOT Indian team. Instead of cruising into the playoffs, we're gonna have to fight like hell. We shall see.

Edited by Jordan4life_2005

QUOTE(greg775 @ Sep 11, 2005 -> 12:13 AM)
If this lead dips to four games or five soon we are gonna hear the 69 Cubs talk over and over again.

The problem, of course, with that comparison is that there was no such thing as a Wild Card in 1969.

The White Sox are 8 games up on New York for the Wild Card, if you wish to look at it that way.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Sep 11, 2005 -> 01:06 AM)
The White Sox are 8 games up on New York for the Wild Card, if you wish to look at it that way.

If the Sox back door into the playoffs via Wild Card...they've already lost...meaning...if they lose this lead and don't win the division...their confidence will already be shot and they'll be done...simple as that.

The sox just need to keep everyone healthy. Seeing how the other AL playoff teams have problems [health wise and lineup wise], the sox have just as much chance as anyone to win in the playoffs. They'll be fine. It's how they play once the real season starts. With the vets they have, I'm not too concerned.

I have a good feeling about today's game and going into KC as well. The Indians will also have to lose sometime- so i expect to be 7.5 games up if front of the tribe after today. Also- the Indians next opponent is Oakland, while we play KC- so if there is anytime to make up some more ground on the Tribe this is going to be the series to do so. Stay possitive guys! Its time to start a new winning streak today. I also expect our pitchers to WAKE UP! They need to maintian the leads our offense is giving them.

Gee, for a board that has no tolerance for negativity,

You're kidding with this, right?

This board is swimming in negativity.

The odds are astronomically against Cleveland catching the White Sox. Yes, it can happen but it'll take Cleveland staying just as hot and the White Sox almost completely falling off.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Sep 10, 2005 -> 10:47 PM)
I've been trying very hard to stay positive lately but I can't help but to feel that this team will inevitably let me down.  Aside from a few small stretches where we beat up on some mediocre teams, the Sox have looked very beatable since the A's series right before the  All Star Break.  As much as I try to forget about the uninspiring last couple of months in 2000 this just seems like deja vu.  I hope they prove me wrong but I don't have a ton of confidence in this team right now. 

I'm not trying to be mr negative.  Just sharing my feelings.  I still love this team.

Cheer up Bunky! The Sox are 30-28 since the date you cited, actually picking up 2 games on the league. Historically, once you get to 27 over, you will make the playoffs going .500 the rest of the way. The Sox have done better than that and, after today, play in the division the rest of the way.

This chart shows just what a remarkable year it has been. The team has accomplished so much for so long that you can't get wrought up over a couple games.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2005 @ Sep 11, 2005 -> 12:30 AM)
Instead of cruising into the playoffs,  we're gonna have to fight like hell.  We shall see.

This actually can be a good thing for the Sox.

In 2000, the Sox had nothing to fight for down the stretch and they got waxed by Seattle.

MAYBE playing some meaningful games against a hot Jndjans team could prep the Sox for playoff baseball.

....that's the glass-half-full way I choose to see it today, anyway.....check back later, my Inner Pessimist may have taken over by then.....

QUOTE(The Critic @ Sep 11, 2005 -> 07:53 AM)

In 2000, the Sox had nothing to fight for down the stretch and they got waxed by Seattle.

MAYBE playing some meaningful games against a hot Jndjans team could prep the Sox for playoff baseball.

....that's the glass-half-full way I choose to see it today, anyway.....check back later, my Inner Pessimist may have taken over by then.....

I totally agree Critic. There shoud be no more 'easy' games from this point on. It's those easy games that give this team a false sense of security. We gain nothing from beating up KC and Detroit any more.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Sep 11, 2005 -> 06:53 AM)

Great post! I am just worried about making the playoffs period right now! This team is like Jeckel and Hyde! I don't know how much more my wife can take. I am such a crab ass lately! :huh

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Sep 10, 2005 -> 11:45 PM)
Gee, for a board that has no tolerance for negativity, you guys aren't exactly oozing with confidence in this team, are you?    Interesting.

The first round will be our toughest challenge. If we get past that, I really like our chances.

No tolerance for negativity? Look at the front page of PHT, and tell me how many negative threads there are, and try to tell me again how there is no tolerance for negativity.