Movie MVP

Texsox

Who is the most important person in a movie?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the most important person in a movie?

• Author, Screenwriter
    • Producer
    • Director
    • Actors
    • Editors
    • Composers
    • Marketing, Critics, Viewers
    • Other
    • Just want to see the results

I should have added ourselves as an option. Plus, while never the number 1 factor, I think word of mouth, critics, and the buzz, has a much bigger impact then we realize. Going into a movie with the right attitude has a huge effect on how much you like it.

QUOTE(Brian @ Sep 11, 2005 -> 07:17 PM)
I believe a good director can make a good movie out of a bad script, and vice versa.

I agree.

This can be seen when the opposite occurs in bad movies.

A writer can turn their good book into a screenplay, but a Hollywood director might butcher the hell outta it.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Sep 11, 2005 -> 07:41 PM)
I should have added ourselves as an option. Plus, while never the number 1 factor, I think word of mouth, critics, and the buzz, has a much bigger impact then we realize. Going into a movie with the right attitude has a huge effect on how much you like it.

What critics have to say about movies in general does not effect how i feel about a movie going into it. I go into all movies with an open mind. I have looked back on a whole bunch of movies on rottentomatoes.com and those critics are unbelievable when it comes to some very good movies.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Sep 11, 2005 -> 07:57 PM)
What critics have to say about movies in general does not effect how i feel about a movie going into it. I go into all movies with an open mind. I have looked back on a whole bunch of movies on rottentomatoes.com and those critics are unbelievable when it comes to some very good movies.

What effect would you say the atmosphere inside the theater has? Watching with 20 other people scattered around the theater vs. the excited buzz of a full house?

BTW, great avatar. :notworthy

Director, no doubt about it. Look at Lucio Fulci for an example. His movies make no sense whatsoever, but damn are they cool to look at! Dario Argento is also a master at making a movie look ultra-cool. The most important parts are easily the writer, director, and cinematographer. Acting is important, but you don't always need a perfect actor.

It also depends on what genre you are into and what type of fan you are. In the Horror genre, with the exception of a few actors (Karloff, Lugosi, Chaney (Sr. and Jr.) Lee, Cushing, Price, Stevens), the true stars of the genre are the directors. George Romero, James Whales, Tod Browning, Dario Argento, Mario Bava, John Carpenter, Wes Craven, Lucio Fulci, Michelle Soavi, Roger Corman, Jess Franco, Jean Rollin, these are the people that are drooled over and held at high esteem. The funny thing is that back in the day though, the producer was also VERY instrumental in the look and feel of a film. Val Lewton is even getting his own boxset soon, and every single Lewton produced film feels VERY similar and has many of the same styles. The Lewton films are some of my favorite movies ever, and the man never directed any of them, but somehow you know a Lewton film when you see one.

Edited by Kid Gleason