Official NFL General Discussion Thread

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really, really, really wanted Jerome Mathis in the later rounds in this past draft. Azumah really doesn't look like the same KR he was last year and Mathis would be sick on ST for the Bears. Not to mention the fact that he could turn out to be a damn good WR in time with the speed he has.

This year two guys I think would be good candidates are Nathan Chandler (TE of the Hawkeyes) and Solomon (WR of the Hawkeyes). I think both will be mid round to late round draft picks and both have some skills. Chandler is a good athlete (maybe he'll go in the 3rd round) and Solomon had some injuries earlier in the year but probably has 2nd round potential although I doubt he'll go that high.

Fasano at ND would be another great candidate but I think he'll go early 2nd while Maurice Stovall has definately seen his stock rise and he's probably a mid to late 2nd rounder.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Nov 21, 2005 -> 12:21 AM)
This year two guys I think would be good candidates are Nathan Chandler (TE of the Hawkeyes) and Solomon (WR of the Hawkeyes).  I think both will be mid round to late round draft picks and both have some skills.  Chandler is a good athlete (maybe he'll go in the 3rd round) and Solomon had some injuries earlier in the year but probably has 2nd round potential although I doubt he'll go that high. 

Fasano at ND would be another great candidate but I think he'll go early 2nd while Maurice Stovall has definately seen his stock rise and he's probably a mid to late 2nd rounder.

This team is just screaming for a real quarterback. Thats what we need to address.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Nov 21, 2005 -> 09:17 AM)
This team is just screaming for a real quarterback.  Thats what we need to address.

How many teams right now have an established QB? Quarterbacks are extremely hard to come by. This years draft will feature 1 big name QB for sure in Leinert and possibly another in Young. After that you have a guy like Omar Jacobs from Bowling Green who's another level or 2 below those 2. Below Jacobs you have Darrell Hackney (UAB), Jay Cutler (Vandy), Reggie McNeal (T A&M) and Brode Croyle.

This draft isn't all that deep at the QB position much like most drafts. Plus drafting a QB means you have to wait atleast another year for them to develop before he could even start playing, so we set this team back another year.

This years draft as of right now should focus around a TE, WR, OL, LB and a DB. The QB position should be filled through Free Agency, not going back into the draft.

Depending on where we go in the draft will obviously affect who we can target but from the TE side we could be looking at a Vernon Davis (Maryland) if we get a pick in the mid to late 20's unless of course Marcedes Lewis (UCLA) falls to us then he'd be an amazing pick (though this will not happen, he'll be a top 12 pick more than likely). This is also assuming that Vernon Davis comes out and doesn't opt to go back to college for his senior year, if he did go back we could be looking at Leonard Pope (Georgia) in the 1st.

Thinking about WR, I'm assuming Santonio Holmes will be going in the top 15 so he'll be off the board, so if you're going to go for a WR in this very weak WR draft the Bears would be better off waiting until the 2nd round and shooting for a guy like Martin Nance (Miami OH) who's a big, physical WR with great leaping ability and athletisim but only average speed. It seems like the '06 draft as of right now will be filled with late round sleepers as opposed to the big name 1st-2nd round can't miss guys.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Nov 21, 2005 -> 01:16 PM)
How many teams right now have an established QB? Quarterbacks are extremely hard to come by. This years draft will feature 1 big name QB for sure in Leinert and possibly another in Young. After that you have a guy like Omar Jacobs from Bowling Green who's another level or 2 below those 2. Below Jacobs you have Darrell Hackney (UAB), Jay Cutler (Vandy), Reggie McNeal (T A&M) and Brode Croyle.

This draft isn't all that deep at the QB position much like most drafts. Plus drafting a QB means you have to wait atleast another year for them to develop before he could even start playing, so we set this team back another year.

This years draft as of right now should focus around a TE, WR, OL, LB and a DB. The QB position should be filled through Free Agency, not going back into the draft.

Depending on where we go in the draft will obviously affect who we can target but from the TE side we could be looking at a Vernon Davis (Maryland) if we get a pick in the mid to late 20's unless of course Marcedes Lewis (UCLA) falls to us then he'd be an amazing pick (though this will not happen, he'll be a top 12 pick more than likely). This is also assuming that Vernon Davis comes out and doesn't opt to go back to college for his senior year, if he did go back we could be looking at Leonard Pope (Georgia) in the 1st.

Thinking about WR, I'm assuming Santonio Holmes will be going in the top 15 so he'll be off the board, so if you're going to go for a WR in this very weak WR draft the Bears would be better off waiting until the 2nd round and shooting for a guy like Martin Nance (Miami OH) who's a big, physical WR with great leaping ability and athletisim but only average speed. It seems like the '06 draft as of right now will be filled with late round sleepers as opposed to the big name 1st-2nd round can't miss guys.

I said addressed......whether its by free agency or by getting a stud from college ( one that doesn't have a glass jaw like Grossman ) doesn't matter to me.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Nov 21, 2005 -> 07:17 AM)
This team is just screaming for a real quarterback.  Thats what we need to address.

I will agree with you...but I would also point out that quite often, it takes Quarterbacks quite a while to even begin to get settled into the league when they come out of college...Peyton Manning, Carson Palmer, Drew Brees, Eli Manning...you name them, they all took quite a few games and mistakes before they really learned how to run an offense. It does vary depending on the QB in question...but if you have a guy who can play the position well, with talent...unless you're getting a huge upgrade in talent, you're often better off going with the guy who's been in the NFL learning.

QUOTE(DukeNukeEm @ Nov 21, 2005 -> 05:32 PM)
Instead of Orton, oh yeah.

Jeesh, way to take a page outta NFLDraftcountdown.com

:huh:

You do know it's possible to trade draft picks right? The Bears could have picked up a late 3rd round or early 4th round pick and taken him.

I think we are fine with Orton/Grossman battling it out for the starting job next season and Blake as the 3rd string. Than if neither Grossman or Orton emerges Im thinking Grossman wont be brought back and we go for 1 of Brady Quinn or Marcus Vick.

And both of those QB's in my mind are better prospects than Matt Leinart.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Nov 22, 2005 -> 12:56 AM)
I think we are fine with Orton/Grossman battling it out for the starting job next season and Blake as the 3rd string.  Than if neither Grossman or Orton emerges Im thinking Grossman wont be brought back and we go for 1 of Brady Quinn or Marcus Vick.

And both of those QB's in my mind are better prospects than Matt Leinart.

Forget about Grossman. He'll slip on a banana peel or something and miss 4-6 weeks of the season right off the bat.

I haven't seen other Bears games, but I watched all of the Panthers-Bears game and was very impressed with Orton. He was making great decisions and put the ball in the right spot for the most part, Moose just couldn't hang on to a few of them or his stats would have been better. Needless to say, if you guys want to trade him for Maddox before he gets lynched in Pittsburgh, thats alright with me.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Nov 22, 2005 -> 06:35 PM)
I haven't seen other Bears games, but I watched all of the Panthers-Bears game and was very impressed with Orton. He was making great decisions and put the ball in the right spot for the most part, Moose just couldn't hang on to a few of them or his stats would have been better.

Kyle had his best game of the season. I can't make this argument statistically, but he made barely any mistakes. In his supposed "bust-out" game against the Lions, he was throwing horrendous sideline passes left and right. The Lions Back 7 managed to drop like three or four easy interceptions.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Nov 22, 2005 -> 08:08 AM)
Forget about Grossman.  He'll slip on a banana peel or something and miss 4-6 weeks of the season right off the bat.

We all get it that you dont trust Grossman to stay healthy..... now maybe you can stop with the immature and dumb posts about it....

:huh:

You do know it's possible to trade draft picks right? The Bears could have picked up a late 3rd round or early 4th round pick and taken him.

Trade up for.. Jerome Mathis?

:lol:

Uhh.. what would be giving up? Because if we gave up even Mike Green for Jerome Mathis I'd be asking "why? why? why?."

Trade up's arent free, teams just dont say "oh you want to move up.. here you go." Do you have any idea how much a trade up costs?

What essentially was a trade up between the Giants and Chargers cost the Giants a 5th, a 4th and a 1st. That was 4 spots. We didnt even have a 3rd round pick to trade with (we gave it away for our 7 sack soon-to-be-probowler Adewale Ogunleye).

So.. I ask you, what do you suppose we trade away for Jerome Mathis, I hope you dont say our 4th or 6th round picks, spent on Kyle Orton and Chris Harris.

You'll probably say 5th round pick assuming anybody can trade up 1 whole round and a half for absolutely nothing just because they wanted to.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Nov 22, 2005 -> 04:30 PM)
We all get it that you dont trust Grossman to stay healthy..... now maybe you can stop with the immature and dumb posts about it....

You're right. Im giving him far too much credit. A puff of wind hits him the wrong way and he'll miss 4-6 weeks......

My bad.

Where are all the Mike Williams backers who absolutely slammed Jerry Angelo's ass for picking Benson over him?

In fact, where are all those people who were going nuts thinking about the receiving trio of Charles Rogers/Mike Williams/Roy Williams? These three have combined for 53 receptions, about 700-800 yards, and all of FIVE touchdowns. Mushin Muhammed ALONE has 44 receptions, 523, and three touchdowns.

It's annoying to me, too, SF101. He does it for everything.

Don't have anything intelligent say (actually, never have anything intelligent to say)? Just b**** and swear and swear and say, "DOLLAR BILL!!!", or "Reinsdorf sucks!". Heh, haven't seen that latter one in a while...

Edited by CWSGuy406

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Nov 25, 2005 -> 04:11 PM)
Where are all the Mike Williams backers who absolutely slammed Jerry Angelo's ass for picking Benson over him?

I admit, I really really wanted Mike Williams over Benson. Far too early to make a judgment on either of them, and I hope that I continue to be wrong about Mike Williams, but let's be honest, Benson has shown flashes this year and that is about it (limited playing time and missing camp probably a lot to do with that).

Honestly, the best reason to like the Benson pick at the moment is that it seemed to light a fire under Thomas Jones.

Its not that i didnt think Benson wasnt a good player... I always thought he was a great player but I just figured there were so many other players out there that could of given us help in a position we are thin in. And RB is not 1 of those positions with Jones and Peterson.

Still after watching some of the other picks I wanted... The corner on the Titans, Mike Williams, and even Derrek Johnson to an extent... im very happy with the Benson pick. Although if Braylon Edwards was available id still rather take him. But I guess I like Mark Bradley too which would make Edwards pointless.