Official NFL General Discussion Thread

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jan 15, 2006 -> 10:16 PM)
Last I checked, that kind of QB rating is respectable.  Do you honestly want to put stock into that?  Numbers mean nothing. 

Because according the 40 pages before this thread, Peyton lost the game. 

We now continue with our regularly scheduled Peyton bashing.  :rolly

Too bad we don't have the mighty Rex Grossman at QB..... :bang

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jan 15, 2006 -> 11:01 PM)
The forecast calls for rain tomorrow, Damn you Peyton Manning!

I'm just going to merge this into the NFL thread, being that has become the bash Peyton thread.

What part of that article isn't accurate? It's true, Manning is a great QB......until it really matters.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jan 16, 2006 -> 12:04 AM)
What part of that article isn't accurate?  It's true, Manning is a great QB......until it really matters.

So people will suddenly dub him a great QB, if he wins the Super Bowl?

Mack Brown was an awful coach before the night of January 4th, and now he's a great coach.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jan 15, 2006 -> 11:06 PM)
So people will suddenly dub him a great QB, if he wins the Super Bowl?

Mack Brown was an awful coach before the night of January 4th, and now he's a great coach. 

Mack Brown is STILL an awful coach. My mother, who doesn't know s*** about football, could have won the national title with that team, mainly Vince Young at QB.

Manning is going to make the hall of fame one day, and is a great QB. But he simply chokes in the playoffs, the facts can't be overlooked. He will be a great player regardless of what he does in the playoffs the rest of his career, but until he wins the Super Bowl, he will always be looked at as a choker in the big game, because that's what he's proven to be going back to college.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jan 16, 2006 -> 12:08 AM)
Mack Brown is STILL an awful coach.  My mother, who doesn't know s*** about football, could have won the national title with that team, mainly Vince Young at QB.

Manning is going to make the hall of fame one day, and is a great QB.  But he simply chokes in the playoffs, the facts can't be overlooked.  He will be a great player regardless of what he does in the playoffs the rest of his career, but until he wins the Super Bowl, he will always be looked at as a choker in the big game, because that's what he's proven to be going back to college.

It was in green for a reason, but that's exactly what the media does.

I know it's just the way it goes, but Peyton didn't lose this game on his own.

Whatever though, I will be pissed off for a couple more weeks about this game. Time will pass, and I will forget about this awful feeling once the season starts. I like being teased.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jan 15, 2006 -> 11:13 PM)
It was in green for a reason, but that's exactly what the media does.

I know it's just the way it goes, but Peyton didn't lose this game on his own. 

Whatever though, I will be pissed off for a couple more weeks about this game.  Time will pass, and I will forget about this awful feeling once the season starts.  I like being teased.

Oh no, this game wasn't entirely his fault. That defense tackled like s***, and his line at times played like doo doo. But that's not the point here. The point is this game was gift wrapped for the Colts by the refs and then again by Jerome Bettis. Manning had a GOLDEN opportunity to lead his team to a comeback win and shake a lot of his haters (like myself) while advancing to play for the AFC crown AT HOME, and he didn't do it. He is a great player, but not nearly a money, late game player.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jan 15, 2006 -> 11:19 PM)
I'm just dying to see how many more times Jabroni can say Peyton Manning sucks in this post he's been working on for about an hour.

This thing's been driven into the ground.  We get it.  Peyton Manning sucks.  You all hate him. 

Move on people.

I don't hate Peyton Manning. I just think it's difficult to argue the fact he's bad in big games based on his record. Maybe he will prove me wrong one day, and if he does, I'll take my medicine and admit it. But until then, I stand by my opinion.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jan 15, 2006 -> 09:51 PM)
I'm reading the Colts locked up the 30th spot....how exactly does that work?

They have the best record of the two non super bowl teams, therefor the two super bowl teams pick 31 and 32 (32 being the superbowl winner).

I'm not even in the boat that thinks Peyton is a choker in the playoffs. This is the first year he has had an above average defense playing with him, and just got beat today by a very hot team that has won 29 games over the past two years. Peyton will be fine, if the Colts can draft a good CB and keep the rest of the D around, there's no reason the Colt's shouldn't win 12 or more games again next year and be as good as anyone. The D-Line is awesome, the LB's are solid, and the safeties are about as good as it gets tandem wise, but they could use a speedy CB to solidify the D. I think Tye Hill, Kelly Jennings, or Richard Marshall would be an excellent addition in the draft.

As for their draft position, its because they have the best record of any team not in the super bowl, so they have the 3rd worst pick in the league, unless Seattle doesn't make the super bowl, then I'm not sure if it would take a coin flip to judge the 29th/30th slot between Seattle and Indy.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Jan 15, 2006 -> 10:38 PM)
I'm not even in the boat that thinks Peyton is a choker in the playoffs. This is the first year he has had an above average defense playing with him, and just got beat today by a very hot team that has won 29 games over the past two years. Peyton will be fine, if the Colts can draft a good CB and keep the rest of the D around, there's no reason the Colt's shouldn't win 12 or more games again next year and be as good as anyone. The D-Line is awesome, the LB's are solid, and the safeties are about as good as it gets tandem wise, but they could use a speedy CB to solidify the D. I think Tye Hill, Kelly Jennings, or Richard Marshall would be an excellent addition in the draft.

As for their draft position, its because they have the best record of any team not in the super bowl, so they have the 3rd worst pick in the league, unless Seattle doesn't make the super bowl, then I'm not sure if it would take a coin flip to judge the 29th/30th slot between Seattle and Indy.

Seattle won in head to head so they are thought of as the better team or so I'd think. That would mean the Colts would either be 29 or 30 and not officially 30 (or at least thats how I'd think it works).

So the Saints are going to hire Sean Payton. It's a good hire for them, and a loss for us. Everywhere he's been the QB has generally done pretty well, from Kerry Collins to Drew Bledsoe.

Generally since he's had success with these pocket passers, I think the Saints may actually take Leinart with the 2nd pick, but it's way too early to speculate.

We won't be getting Norv Turner as a OC to replace Sean either, he signed with the 49ers today. Excellent hire for them to replace McCarthy.

Colts GM Bill Polian, speaking on WFAN-New York, said that, "The quarterback wasn't the problem on Sunday. The offensive line was the problem. Plain and simple."

Now that's throwing an offensive line under the bus. An irate Polian took exception to critique of Manning, saying, "There's no factual basis for that... Don't deal in perception. I'll be glad to talk about reality," Polian said. "With all due respect, you don't know what you are talking about. The breakdowns came on the offensive line. Peyton was not the problem... I deal only in reality."

Anyone knows that if the O-line is having a bad game, Peyton looks average. I don't see why everyone hates him. The coaching staff has entrusted him with running the offense.....he's an offensive coordinator on the field.

The Rams are going to hire Scott Linehan to replace Mike Martz. It's an excellent choice. Linehan's been one of the best offensive co-ordinators in the NFL for quite a few years, and doing what he did in Miami only increased his stock. With the success he had in Minny under the Dome, I wouldn't be at all suprised to see the Rams offense go back to being elite next season. They've just got to get the defense fixed up.

And the Lions are going to hire Rod Marinelli the Defensive Line Coach of the Bucs. It's an interesting choice, IIRC he was the Bears 1st choice as the Defensive Co-ordinator for Lovie Smith before they took Ron Rivera. Detroit needs massive improvements on both side of the ball, so it'll be interesting to see what happens with Joey Harrington, and whether or not they'd be interested in someone like Jay Cutler in the draft at the #9 spot.