Official NFL General Discussion Thread

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Sep 26, 2005 -> 01:28 PM)
I haven't seen too many Cowboy's games this year yet. Has Newman improved? He was toast far too many times last year for a guy with his size and speed. He should be a shut down corner in this league.

The 1st 2 games, everyone threw Anthony Henry's way, and he did a good job against it. I think they were going to throw more balls Newman's way this week. I think most people thought last year was the "Sophomore Slump" for him, and he would come on more this season. We hired a Secondary Coach for the 1st time, and with the better pass rush we should have, it should only help him.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So here's the 1 thing I can't figure out about today.

When you're the Steelers, and you're on the 3 yard line of the Patriots with 1:30 left in the game...and the team sitting on the opposite side of the field from you has Tom Brady at Quarterback...why the Hell would you run a play to get into the end zone on the first play?

I swear, we see this at least 10 times per year. You're playing against a very good team that is totally out of time outs, you've got the ball near the end zone, and you score the touchdown to tie/take a small lead with like a minute or two left in the game.

You can get off like 5 plays or more with 30 seconds left in the game. Why the Hell wouldn't you take the ball, give it to your running back, have him slam into the line 1 or 2 times and run the clock down so that Tom Brady doesn't get the ball back?

It beats teams every damn week it seems.

Well according to him even though the Steelers were winning most of the game and lost on a last 2nd fg they were being dominated by the Pats so I guess they would of lost in OT anyways :bang

As for Dallas the good thing you guys on defense is make adjustments on half time and held the 49ers to just a TD in the 2nd half. Although your defense looked really bad rush and pass.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Sep 26, 2005 -> 06:59 PM)
Well according to him even though the Steelers were winning most of the game and lost on a last 2nd fg they were being dominated by the Pats so I guess they would of lost in OT anyways  :bang

As for Dallas the good thing you guys on defense is make adjustments on half time and held the 49ers to just a TD in the 2nd half.  Although your defense looked really bad rush and pass.

I think Mike Zimmer (the DC) in's a little bit of trouble ATM. He's never used the 3-4 before, and if the struggles continue, even though he's held in very high regard, Parcells might try to bring in one of "his" guys. But we got away with one today, and have got to perform better against an Oakland team that really pushed Philly today.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Sep 26, 2005 -> 10:06 AM)
I think Mike Zimmer (the DC) in's a little bit of trouble ATM. He's never used the 3-4 before, and if the struggles continue, even though he's held in very high regard, Parcells might try to bring in one of "his" guys. But we got away with one today, and have got to perform better against an Oakland team that really pushed Philly today.

Actually while it scored a lot I think your OC should be more in trouble. You guys really call a lot of questionable plays and than to top it off going for it on 4th down was by far the dumbest mistake of the season. Im not just going on about this game 2 the OC made some bad play calling in that 4th quarter against the Redskins too.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Sep 26, 2005 -> 08:22 PM)
Actually while it scored a lot I think your OC should be more in trouble.  You guys really call a lot of questionable plays and than to top it off going for it on 4th down was by far the dumbest mistake of the season.  Im not just going on about this game 2 the OC made some bad play calling in that 4th quarter against the Redskins too.

That would be Sean Payton. He's in his 1st year with us since Maurice Carthon bolted to Cleveland to join Romeo Crennel. Payton's more of a high risk, down the field type of guy compared to Parcells' control the ball smashmouth policy. Payton was the Giants OC before he Fassell took over the play calling duties. I've been happy with the offense so far though, besides the rushing where we do a better job of getting Julius Jones going. He should do well against Oakland though.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Sep 26, 2005 -> 10:27 AM)
That would be Sean Payton. He's in his 1st year with us since Maurice Carthon bolted to Cleveland to join Romeo Crennel. Payton's more of a high risk, down the field type of guy compared to Parcells' control the ball smashmouth policy. Payton was the Giants OC before he Fassell took over the play calling duties. I've been happy with the offense so far though, besides the rushing where we do a better job of getting Julius Jones going. He should do well against Oakland though.

Yeah thats one thing that has seemed to got away from you guys these last 2 games. Next week you need to work on establishing the run and taking the pressure off Bledsoe.

Well according to him even though the Steelers were winning most of the game and lost on a last 2nd fg they were being dominated by the Pats so I guess they would of lost in OT anyways 

Like I said, it helps when you actually watch the game and actually know what you are watching. Its always fun to watch a team for the first time and come on here acting like you know everything. Comes with being a teenager I guess, I used to be like that also. I love the parting shots that have absolutely nothing to do with me, nice job ;) .

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Sep 26, 2005 -> 01:09 PM)
Like I said, it helps when you actually watch the game and actually know what you are watching. Its always fun to watch a team for the first time and come on here acting like you know everything. Comes with being a teenager I guess, I used to be like that also. I love the parting shots that have absolutely nothing to do with me, nice job  ;) .

The thing is you have no idea if I did watch it and you have no idea what my age is. You also have no idea how much football I watch or anything else. And were the steelers being outplayed even though they were winning yes... but they were winning and dominating someone means that the game is extremely 1 sided. Well when a team is losing the first 3 quarters.... Nearing the end of the 4th like a little over a min left and you drive to kick the winning field goal... that is nearly beating a team not dominating a team.

I love when people assume they are smarter than someone and know more about a subject than them when they have never met them besides on a message board.

lmao, I never stated I was smarter than anyone, you made that assumption on your own. The Patriots outgained the Steelers by 33%, and held the second leading rusher in the league to 55 yards. You have watched Ben play a game against the Patriots, I've seen him play every game in his career, he's dramatically different when he plays the Patriots for whatever reason. The Steelers were beaten in field position, field goals, punt returns, rushing, passing by 156 yards, and sacks. If you can't see thats domination, then I don't know what to tell you. In the NFL these days, thats about as bad as it gets.

I and other Steelers fans know something drastic has to change before the Steelers will beat the Patriots when it counts. Steelers were horrible in the 2nd half, amassing 60 total yards until the 2 minute warning when the 40 yard PI was called. This was with the Patriots on a makeshift OL and without Rodney Harrison, and Teddy Bruschi.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Sep 25, 2005 -> 07:20 PM)
So we dodged a HUGE bullet today, coming back from 12 down in the 4th to beat San Fran. The defense took a big step back from last week which was very dissappointing. Giving up 269YDS and 3TD's to Tim Rattay isn't acceptable at all. And giving 125 yards from 25 rushes ain't good at all either.

Julius Jones hasn't gotten it going yet, so that's still a positive sign, 26 rushes 85 yards, 3.3 per carry. that will improve. San Fran was always going to play 8 men in the box today anyway and blitz to try and make Bledsoe beat them. And he did. 363 YDS passing, very nice indeed, even with the 2 INT's.

But I'm hoping Parcells and Mike Zimmer are still giving it to the them, especially the defense. We can't play football like that, and expect to go higher than 8-8. Why we're giving up so many big plays, I don't know. Yeah Roy Williams ain't good in coverage, but Newman, Henry and Glenn are 3 quality starting CB's.

I don't think they took a huge step back. They just went up against a team that runs a pretty wide open offense and when Rattay is healthy he's actually a pretty solid qb.

Of course this game should of never been this close because San Fran sucks defensively. The Boys aren't that great.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Sep 26, 2005 -> 09:43 PM)
As much as I dislike the guy as a player, I never would have hoped for this.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/stor..._len&id=2173044

Talk about a patch-work secondary, he was the glue holding it together, now it will be chaos.

Who am I kidding, the Pat's will still find a way to win.

From seeing the injury I think most people guessed he was done for the season. I dont think it will hurt the Pats too much it seems like they can plug anybody in any spot and he will instantly become a good player for them....

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2173143

Clock error added 52 seconds to Steelers-Pats game

ESPN.com news services

Tom Brady, among the league's best in late-game drives, led the Patriots down field for the winning score against the Steelers in 1:21 on Sunday.

But could he have done it in 29 seconds?

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported Monday that an error was made by the clock operator and officiating crew in the Steelers-Patriots game that resuletd in 52 seconds being added to the game clock.

The NFL confirmed that at the error occured at the beginning of the fourth quarter. With 14:51 remaining, Steelers receiver Cedric Wilson ran a reverse and was held to no gain; the play ran the clock down to 13:59.

A false start was called on Steelers guard Kendall Simmons on the next play, but instead of resetting the clock to 13:59, the clock operator set it back to 14:51 -- the time before Wilson's running play began. No one noticed the error, including the officiating crew.

Mike Pereira, the NFL's senior director of officiating, spoke to coaches Bill Cowher and Bill Belichick about the error on Monday.

With those extra 52 seconds in place, the Steelers rallied to tie the game 20-20 on Ben Roethlisberger's 4-yard TD pass to Hines Ward with 1:21 remaining.

But that was enough time for Brady to lead the Patriots into position for Adam Vinateri, the league's best clutch kicker, to make a 43-yard field goal with one second remaining to beat the Steelers 23-20 at Hines Field.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Sep 26, 2005 -> 02:12 PM)
lmao, I never stated I was smarter than anyone, you made that assumption on your own. The Patriots outgained the Steelers by 33%, and held the second leading rusher in the league to 55 yards. You have watched Ben play a game against the Patriots, I've seen him play every game in his career, he's dramatically different when he plays the Patriots for whatever reason. The Steelers were beaten in field position, field goals, punt returns, rushing, passing by 156 yards, and sacks. If you can't see thats domination, then I don't know what to tell you. In the NFL these days, thats about as bad as it gets.

I and other Steelers fans know something drastic has to change before the Steelers will beat the Patriots when it counts. Steelers were horrible in the 2nd half, amassing 60 total yards until the 2 minute warning when the 40 yard PI was called. This was with the Patriots on a makeshift OL and without Rodney Harrison, and Teddy Bruschi.

You do know the Steelers had a +2 turnover differential and had far fewer penalties for FAR fewer yards, right? By all rights, they should've won that game. The only thing that stopped them was the STUPIDEST boneheaded play I've ever seen, and I witnessed Aaron Brooks's backwards pass. You can place this loss squarely on the shoulders of Antwaan Randle El if you're a Steelers fan, because he lateraled it right to them. That play was game changing, because it took a scoring oppurtunity off the board for the Steelers, and it gave the Pats the momentum.

You do know the Steelers had a +2 turnover differential and had far fewer penalties for FAR fewer yards

That fits right in with my point of them being dominated. The Patriots had a drive of 75 and another of 50 yards go completely to waste by a fumble and the INT on the deflection. Both times the Pat's were inside the Steelers 15 yards and came away with nothing to show for it, this was all in the 2nd quarter. The Patriots could and should have been ahead of the Steelers by halftime.

But you are right, Antawn had his worst game ever. It wasn't just that "fumble" that was bad, he missed a few balls that would have been big plays and would have kept the Steelers in front likely.

Actually what I pointed out there illustrates the point that the Steelers blew that game. Any team that has a +2 in turnover differential for the game and has 100 gift yards handed to them is going to win more often than not in the NFL, regardless of which team it is. Randle El is entirely to blame for the loss. That attempted lateral was 3-7 points taken off the board for the Steelers, and they lost by 3. Also, he had a few crucial drops like you said. If any one player can ever be blamed for a loss, it's Randle El in this game.

I need some help this weekend, guys...

Rudi Johnson vs. Houston, @ Cincy.

Caddy Williams vs. Detroit sucks, @ TB.

Portis vs. Seattle, @ Washington.

I'm 99% sure that Williams will be a lock to start for me, but all three of these look like they could do extremely well.

And I'm leaning towards Portis as my other back, if for no other reason than he's been pretty reliable...

But looking at the stats, in two games (small sample size, I know), Houston is giving up 140+ yards per game, and Detroit is giving up over 115 ypg. Seattle is at 108.

This is a tough call, and suggestions?

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Oct 1, 2005 -> 01:46 PM)
I need some help this weekend, guys...

Rudi Johnson vs. Houston, @ Cincy.

Caddy Williams vs. Detroit sucks, @ TB.

Portis vs. Seattle, @ Washington.

I'm 99% sure that Williams will be a lock to start for me, but all three of these look like they could do extremely well.

And I'm leaning towards Portis as my other back, if for no other reason than he's been pretty reliable...

But looking at the stats, in two games (small sample size, I know), Houston is giving up 140+ yards per game, and Detroit is giving up over 115 ypg. Seattle is at 108.

This is a tough call, and suggestions?

don't even bother keith, might as well just hand me the W

QUOTE(SnB @ Oct 1, 2005 -> 07:01 PM)
don't even bother keith, might as well just hand me the W

:lol:

I beat Brian by something like .20 points last week -- just because Jason Elam had like two field goals and three extra points. That made me happy. :D