Twins/Indians game

fathom

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 11, 2005 -> 07:52 PM)
But if the Sox go .500 the rest of the year, the Indians would have to be really good....right?  It's amazing that many of the same people who were saying things like that a month ago are now awfully quiet.

And the Sox are playing .500 since August and the Indians have been very good. What the f*** is your point? They still aren't in the lead, and still do not have control of the AL Central let alone the AL Wild card.

Sheesh, my ignore lists grows more and more everyday with these obnoxious pessimists whom would rather be correct than see the Sox win.

Give it a rest.

Edited by santo=dorf

No denying this Indians team is determined.

They looked at the scoreboard, noticed we were schlacked, knew they could finish a sweep and move within 5.5, and actually worked as a cohesive offensive unit and placed 10 runs on the board.

UH OH. We're in trouble with the remaining head the head matchups if this offense is anywhere near its current state.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Sep 11, 2005 -> 06:56 PM)
And the Sox are playing .500 since August and the Indians have benn very good.  What the f*** is your point?  The still aren't in the lead, and still do not have control of the AL Central let alone the AL Wild card.

Sheesh, my ignore lists grows more and more everyday with these obnoxious pessimists whom would rather be correct than see the Sox win.

Give it a rest.

No one said they rather see the Sox struggle. Well except for that one guy who said he rather not have us make the playoffs. We hate being right as well. You also have to understand that the pessimists have every right to be pessimistic as the optimists have to be optimistic. It swings both ways pal. It's bulls*** how everyone was making threads basically insulting teams that weren't even done yet with a good month and a half to go(some more than that).

Here's the thing, after tonight, the first six batters in their lineup will have a batting average right at or above our leading hitter. And every single one of them has a better slugging percentage. The Indians have a good ability to win games two ways, we for the most part can win games only on the strength of our pitching.

QUOTE(3E8 @ Sep 11, 2005 -> 06:59 PM)
Here's the thing, after tonight, the first six batters in their lineup will have a batting average right at or above our leading hitter.  And every single one of them has a better slugging percentage.  The Indians have a good ability to win games two ways, we for the most part can win games only on the strength of our pitching.

And that strength doesn't look so strong anymore.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Sep 12, 2005 -> 12:56 AM)
And the Sox are playing .500 since August and the Indians have been very good.  What the f*** is your point?  They still aren't in the lead, and still do not have control of the AL Central let alone the AL Wild card.

Yeah, we're all on here just praying that the Sox lose and don't make the playoffs. The LONE point I was trying to make about the .500 comment is that nothing is guaranteed in sports. Everyone was saying things like "there's no way the Indians stay hot and keep playing at such a high rate". And since there's no personal attacks on this board now, all I'll say is that the only thing worse than an obnoxious pessimist is someone that takes our their frustrations about the Sox on posters who say things they don't want to hear (an no, this wasn't directed as you Santo). It surely is amazing how some people just seem to vanish from here when the Sox struggle, and then come back on the site when they're winning and say "how dare you doubt the greatest team ever".

:gosox3:

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Sep 11, 2005 -> 06:56 PM)
And the Sox are playing .500 since August and the Indians have benn very good.  What the f*** is your point?  The still aren't in the lead, and still do not have control of the AL Central let alone the AL Wild card.

Give it a rest.

Santo, the point is mentioned within your post--the White Sox have been treading water while the Indians have had the best record in baseball since the All-Star break.

Are you not concerned with the overall stagnant state of the offense, or the pitching against contending clubs?

If you are tired of "obnoxious pessimists", and would rather ignore them, WSI is a click away. Except over there the roles are reversed and the pessimists are replaced with obnoxious optimists unable to admit problems or accept "dark clouds"

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 12, 2005 -> 01:03 AM)
Outside of a few stretches in this 2nd half, our starting rotation hasn't been dominating.

I'll feel a lot more comfortable about the situation as a whole if McCarthy is put in a rotation.

And this coming from an El Duque fan.

He needs to be put in the rotation. Uribe NEEDS to be put lower in the order.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Sep 11, 2005 -> 08:02 PM)
Santo, the point is mentioned within your post--the White Sox have been treading water while the Indians have had the best record in baseball since the All-Star break.

Are you not concerned with the overall stagnant state of the offense, or the pitching against contending clubs?

If you are tired of "obnoxious pessimists", and would rather ignore them, WSI is a click away. Except over there the roles are reversed and the pessimists are replaced with obnoxious optimists unable to admit problems or accept "dark clouds"

Well, I'm liking that.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Sep 12, 2005 -> 01:06 AM)
I'll feel a lot more comfortable about the situation as a whole if McCarthy is put in a rotation.

He needs to be put in the rotation.  Uribe NEEDS to be put lower in the order.

Don't you mean up in the order for Uribe? I'm still not sure why in the world we'd put Rowand in the 3rd spot against righties. At this point, the whole offense is just in a state of disarray.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 12, 2005 -> 01:07 AM)
Don't you mean up in the order for Uribe?  I'm still not sure why in the world we'd put Rowand in the 3rd spot against righties.  At this point, the whole offense is just in a state of disarray.

The way I see it, right now, you have two really good hitters in Uribe and Konerko, one hitter who's usually good for getting on base at least once a day in Podsednik, two hitters who it depends on the pitcher (if they'll hit well) in Dye and Iguchi, and the rest (Everett and Pierzynski falling under the super-streaky category, and I guess you can throw Dye in there though he's not the problem offensively, and then Crede, where you just hope for anything from him).

Anyways, you need to have Uribe and Konerko hitting within two spots of each other. If Everett is going to hit fifth, teams are going to pitch around Konerko. Everett is a threat, but not nearly as much as most DHs.

In all of this rubble that I've just put together, I'm trying to say that I want Konerko hitting with Uribe on base. That seems like the only way we're gonna score.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Sep 11, 2005 -> 07:06 PM)

He needs to be put in the rotation.  Uribe NEEDS to be put lower in the order.

I agree on El Duque. I'm a big fan of him, but he just doesn't have it. Stick McCarthy in there and save Duque if anything for the playoffs so his arm doesn't fall off.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 11, 2005 -> 07:07 PM)
Don't you mean up in the order for Uribe?  I'm still not sure why in the world we'd put Rowand in the 3rd spot against righties.  At this point, the whole offense is just in a state of disarray.

And yeah, I'm sure he meant higher in the order for Uribe. Honestly, I would look to shake things up and things would go like this:

LF-Podsednik

SS-Uribe

2B-Iguchi

1B-Konerko

DH-Everett

RF-Dye

CF-Rowand(Probably one of the biggest declines from last year to this year)

C-Pierzynski

3B-Crede

Uribe is hot and we should see what Iguchi could do. Uribe's hits usually are opposite field and he looks like he's found a great swing. Iguchi would probably be better as a freeswinger. Let him get on base and move runners over as a 3 hole hitter.

CWS.... We don't agree often, but I definitely think we need to move Uribe up in the order. Honestly, what the f*** do we have to lose right now? Our offense has struggled for so long, changes need to be made. I'd have no problem with Uribe in the 3rd spot, and PK in the 4th spot. Against a righty, Rowand needs to be near the bottom of the order. What I don't understand is why we seem to promote guys higher in the order the more they struggle. Also, why not give someone like Borchard a chance to get hot and spark the offense? The thing is, we need some people to step up and carry this offense like PK and Uribe have been doing. Dye has left a ton of guys on base lately.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 11, 2005 -> 07:15 PM)
CWS.... We don't agree often, but I definitely think we need to move Uribe up in the order.  Honestly, what the f*** do we have to lose right now?  Our offense has struggled for so long, changes need to be made.  I'd have no problem with Uribe in the 3rd spot, and PK in the 4th spot.  Against a righty, Rowand needs to be near the bottom of the order.  What I don't understand is why we seem to promote guys higher in the order the more they struggle.  Also, why not give someone like Borchard a chance to get hot and spark the offense?  The thing is, we need some people to step up and carry this offense like PK and Uribe have been doing.  Dye has left a ton of guys on base lately.

I wouldn't mind Borchard subbing in alot more for Dye & Rowand. Get Anderson in there at times too.

There's what, 20 games left, right?

Let's say Cleveland plays .750 ball, which is pretty possible. They play Oakland for three, and us for six. Then, the rest is bleh.

We'd have to play .500 to make the playoffs. If this team can't play .500, with seven games left against KC/Detroit, and six left against Minny -- then man... there won't be a paper bag big enough for White Sox fandom.

BTW -- don't quote me on it, but I don't think we draw Santana for next weekend's series at the Dome. So, there's your good news of the day.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Sep 11, 2005 -> 07:21 PM)
There's what, 20 games left, right? 

Let's say Cleveland plays .750 ball, which is pretty possible.  They play Oakland for three, and us for six.  Then, the rest is bleh. 

We'd have to play .500 to make the playoffs.  If this team can't play .500, with seven games left against KC/Detroit, and six left against Minny -- then man...  there won't be a paper bag big enough for White Sox fandom. 

BTW -- don't quote me on it, but I don't think we draw Santana for next weekend's series at the Dome.  So, there's your good news of the day.

So who does Buehrle choke against next week then?