The Bears have found their future QB

I think the bears will be fine this season and their were a ton of positive things from todays loss. Here are a few of them:

-Kyle Orton looked terrific. He was on fire in the 2nd half.

-Benson looked pretty good.

-Muhamad was great

-Gage was very good

-That defense was dynamite

If they can keep from making stupid mistakes like 3 false starts in a row than they can win this division.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

- Benson had 3 carries and picked up 10 yards. Hard to say he impressed. Ultra small sample size.

- Gage did nothing to impress me and I've been the biggest Gage apologist since we drafted him.

Orton looked very good and he and Moose seemed to have some nice chemistry working.

Honestly the D dissapointed me a little, the early 3rd downs they gave up pissed me off as well as how easily they were run on by Portis and Betts in the 2nd half, they may have been tire but they're going to have to get used to it with this defense.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Sep 11, 2005 -> 08:32 PM)
- Benson had 3 carries and picked up 10 yards. Hard to say he impressed. Ultra small sample size.

- Gage did nothing to impress me and I've been the biggest Gage apologist since we drafted him.

Orton looked very good and he and Moose seemed to have some nice chemistry working.

Honestly the D dissapointed me a little, the early 3rd downs they gave up pissed me off as well as how easily they were run on by Portis and Betts in the 2nd half, they may have been tire but they're going to have to get used to it with this defense.

Well they were dissapointing with what you've mentioned, but they only gave up 9 points. I would call that a pretty solid day.

Considering he was a rookie i was very impressed with Orton he drove the offense down the field twice with basicly no running game against one of the better defenses in the NFL. A course one turned into an int and the other the O-Line collapsed but still good stuff.

The defense was great, they do have to work on their 3rd and long situations but only allowing 3 FG's and forcing turnovers good job overall. They ran the ball pretty well against us but the Redskins are apposed to have one of the better O-Lines in the league and they have a great RB in Portis.

Next week vs Detroit we should be a lot better. On offense for us we are facing a much worse defense and Orton has live game experiance now and we will be at home. Im expecting Orton to throw around 200 yards and Thomas Jones to get at least 80. On defense the Detroit O-Line is much worse than the Redskins O-line so we should be able to get a lot of pressure on Harrington and force more mistakes. The big ? is if we will be able to handle their 3 WR's which I think we will because Detroits O didnt look that good against a very bad Packers defense.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Sep 11, 2005 -> 10:00 PM)
I want to hear a little more in-depth review about Benson and Gage.....

What made them look so good?

i want to see more but i think he could brake out this season. He has the skills. He made a nice catch. I probably meant to say Bradley. Also for a guy who missed all of camp Benson looked pretty good. They might be able to throw him in there more often.

The Bears QB for the future.... is healing from a broken ankle.

For a rookie, Orton did ok... i still saw some happy feet in the pocket from time to time, but he definitely has an NFL arm.

Rex is still the most talented QB on the roster, and I say that because I really really like him - although its still prolly true.

I have a feeling your gonna see number 8 on the field again this year, from week 12-17 maybe less.

It's hard to say Gage looked good when he only had 1 reception. If you look at toher receivers that are comparable to him, Patrick Crayton had 6 REC, Frisman Jackson 8, Kevin Curtis 7, Arnaz Battle 5. He needs to improve to hold off Bradley, Berrian I don't think is going to be anything more than the 3rd WR / Deep Threat that stretches the field.

QUOTE(MurcieOne @ Sep 11, 2005 -> 11:34 PM)
The Bears QB for the future.... is healing from a broken ankle.

For a rookie, Orton did ok... i still saw some happy feet in the pocket from time to time, but he definitely has an NFL arm.

Rex is still the most talented QB on the roster, and I say that because I really really like him - although its still prolly true.

I have a feeling your gonna see number 8 on the field again this year, from week 12-17 maybe less.

i hope not. Orton is your future. You can't hand the job to Rex. Rex hasn't done s*** yet in the NFL. Orton will be the next bears QB. I loved what i saw from him in college and i think he will be a steal at the 4th round.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Sep 11, 2005 -> 10:44 PM)
i hope not.  Orton is your future.  You can't hand the job to Rex.  Rex hasn't done s*** yet in the NFL.  Orton will be the next bears QB.  I loved what i saw from him in college and i think he will be a steal at the 4th round.

You drafted Rex in the First Round and the org thinks they have a franchise QB in him. What do you lose by putting him in, if the current trend of bad offensive football continues? If Orton really is as good as he, and his followers think he is - he will own this job by week 12. If he happens to lose it, he will win it back in 06 if he's really that good.

Same goes for Rex, I love the eyebrow manicured SoB, but if he's really that good he'll take the job in week 12-13 (if the team sucks) and not relinquish it. Potential is a tricky mother f***er, but whatever the case... we need to f***ing solidify the QB position.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Sep 12, 2005 -> 02:44 PM)
i hope not.  Orton is your future.  You can't hand the job to Rex.  Rex hasn't done s*** yet in the NFL.  Orton will be the next bears QB.  I loved what i saw from him in college and i think he will be a steal at the 4th round.

Grossman was a 1st round pick. He's in his 3rd NFL season and has started about 6 games. Kyle Orton was drafted in the 4th round, and played his 1st NFL game thoday. Right now, when both healthy, Rex Grossman is the QB of the Chicago Bears.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Sep 12, 2005 -> 07:59 AM)
Grossman was a 1st round pick. He's in his 3rd NFL season and has started about 6 games. Kyle Orton was drafted in the 4th round, and played his 1st NFL game thoday. Right now, when both healthy, Rex Grossman is the QB of the Chicago Bears.

Laughable, absolutley laughable. What makes you think Grossman is our QB of the future? He is done in a bears uniform. The guy has been a complete bust. You can say what you will about injuries, but that is a part of a player. It has become obvious(3 injuries 3 years) that Grossman is a paper QB, and has nothing to contribute in the NFL. Saying he is talented, drafted in the 1st round, big deal. There are plenty of QB's drafted in the first round that dont make it. Leaf, McNown, Smith. Sorry guys, Orton is your QB of the future, and Grossman has probably seen the last of the field for the Bears. Before you use the 4th round defense as why Orton shouldnt be starting:

All told, since the 1970 AFL-NFL merger, Aikman is one of only four first-round quarterbacks to win a championship with his original team, joining Pittsburgh's Terry Bradshaw, Chicago's Jim McMahon and the Giants' Phil Simms.

Late round QB's: Tom Brady (6th), Kurt Warner(FA), Brad Johnson(9th), Marc Bulger(6th), Jake Delhomme (FA), Hasselbeck(6th), Aaron Brooks (4th).

Favre wasnt even a first rounder. The draft position means nothing in the NFL as far as the QB position goes.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Sep 13, 2005 -> 12:43 AM)
Laughable, absolutley laughable.  What makes you think Grossman is our QB of the future?  He is done in a bears uniform.  The guy has been a complete bust.  You can say what you will about injuries, but that is a part of a player.  It has become obvious(3 injuries 3 years) that Grossman is a paper QB, and has nothing to contribute in the NFL.  Saying he is talented, drafted in the 1st round, big deal. There are plenty of QB's drafted in the first round that dont make it.  Leaf, McNown, Smith.  Sorry guys, Orton is your QB of the future, and Grossman has probably seen the last of the field for the Bears.  Before you use the 4th round defense as why Orton shouldnt be starting:

All told, since the 1970 AFL-NFL merger, Aikman is one of only four first-round quarterbacks to win a championship with his original team, joining Pittsburgh's Terry Bradshaw, Chicago's Jim McMahon and the Giants' Phil Simms.

Late round QB's: Tom Brady (6th), Kurt Warner(FA), Brad Johnson(9th), Marc Bulger(6th), Jake Delhomme (FA), Hasselbeck(6th), Aaron Brooks (4th).

Favre wasnt even a first rounder.  The draft position means nothing in the NFL as far as the QB position goes.

Late round QB's do happen but they're generally out of the norm. Just saying I'd take my odds on a 1st rounder over a 4th rounder any day of the week.

As for saying Grossman is done in a Bears uniform, well he's due back in about week 12 right? He was the starter going into the season, and that'll probably stay the same for this year going into training camp next season when the 2 will have a competition.

Orton's not going to win any games for you with his arm this season, and the Bears offense hardly looked very good at all yesterday, albeit it's not Orton's fault with no running game and 1 only good receiver at the moment. Grossman deserves a chance in this system, how do you think Orton would have looked under John Shoop and Terry Shea?

As for saying there are plenty of QB's that don't make it in the 1st round, yeah over history that's been the case, but it hasn't been the norm. From what the last about 5 years the year just after the Smith, McNown fiasco etc. the QB's selected have generally been very good.

The Bears owe Grossman nothing. If Orton looks good this season and doesn't totally f*** up, he'll be the #1 going into the '06 Training Camp.

Grossman has been given the starting knod twice and has relinquished it both times due to injury (Hand Vs Chiefs in final game in '03, Knee Vs Vikes and Knee Vs Rams), I know you're not supposed to lose your job due to injury but when you do it multiple times, you are no longer gaurenteed job security. If Grossman wants to be the starting QB for the Bears ever again, he's going to have to pray that Orton either sucks or gets hurt, then Rex is going to have to prove that he can stay healthy and that he can be productive at this level, which he has yet to do.

I'd love to see Rex come back and be a franchise QB for the Bears but I just don't see it happening, right now Kyle Orton is the best QB the Bears have and gives them the best chance to win.lthy and that he can be productive at this level, which he has yet to do.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Sep 12, 2005 -> 10:15 AM)
As for saying there are plenty of QB's that don't make it in the 1st round, yeah over history that's been the case, but it hasn't been the norm. From what the last about 5 years the year just after the Smith, McNown fiasco etc. the QB's selected have generally been very good.

What part of 4 first round QB's winning the super bowl since 1970 didnt look clear? That means that the rest of the superbowl champion QB's were not first rounders. Which means its the norm for a first round QB to NOT be successful.

Rex is done, and its the smart move. He wont be back this season, and if he is, he wont play. Orton is your QB of the future, and Rex is maybe a backup, maybe a player for another team. But if your player breaks down 3 years in a row, you get rid of him, thats it.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Sep 12, 2005 -> 03:23 PM)
I think Orton should probably finish the season unless he really sucks than give it back to Grossman when he returns.  Than next season those 2 can battle for the starting job and the best man can win.

best man can win until grossman gets hurt. BY week 12, when all of you think Rex is coming back, Orton will have more NFL starts under his belt. What would be the benefit of going to a less experienced QB?

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Sep 12, 2005 -> 05:05 PM)
What part of 4 first round QB's winning the super bowl since 1970 didnt look clear?  That means that the rest of the superbowl champion QB's were not first rounders.  Which means its the norm for a first round QB to NOT be successful.

Football is a team game. Dan Marino and Jim Kelly were both legendary quarterbacks drafted in the 1st round. They didn't win a super bowl, so they weren't successful according to your logic?

I suppose that Ted Williams, Charles Barkley, John Stockton, Karl Malone, Dick Butkus, and Gale Sayers were also unsuccesful because they never won titles. The list of legendary players without rings drafted in the opening rounds of their respective sports could go on forever.

In a historical sense, the higher the draft pick, the greater the odds of he/she becoming an impact player.

1979-2001

1979:

1st Round: Phil Simms

3rd Round: Joe Montana

1980:

NONE

1981:

NONE

1982:

NONE

1983:

1st Round: John Elway, Jim Kelly, Dan Marino

1984:

2nd Round: Boomer Esiason

1985:

2nd Round: Randall Cunningham

1986:

NONE

1987:

4th Round: Rich Gannon

1988:

NONE

1989:

1st Round: Troy Aikman

1990:

NONE

1991:

2nd Round: Brett Favre

1992:

NONE

1993:

1st Round: Drew Bledsoe

1994:

NONE

1995:

1st Round: Steve McNair

1996:

NONE

1997:

NONE

1998:

1st Round: Peyton Manning

1999:

1st Round: Donovan McNabb, Daunte Culpepper

2000:

6th Round: Tom Brady

2001:

1st Round: Michael Vick

Can Orton become a superior QB in time? Who knows. But DBAHO's point was that the chances of Orton being better than Grossman in the long run are not good, and if it were to happen, it wouldn't be the NORM. I'd tend to agree, and I couldn't see how/why anyone would argue otherwise.

Its easy to make an argument sway one way or the other. Where are the other QB's on your year by year list. Where are the Qb's who won titles. You mentioned a select few who were great and didnt win a title, how about the ones who won a title and werent great, there are some of those too. Fact is, being a first round draft pick, does not make you a great player. We have played several first round QB's and they were busts. In fact, if you want to make a list by year, why dont you list the first round busts as well.