Duque/McCarthy situation

fathom

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll be happy if I don't have to hear another reference to a past accomplishment of Duque for the rest of this season. Luis Sojo had some clutch moments in the playoffs....does that mean he deserves to keep playing near the end of the season even if it's obvious his skills have deteriorated and isn't the best option for the team?

Well at least there is still a chance that McCarthy will go his next start.

As it stands now

El Duque: 5.10 ERA

McCarthy: 4.84 ERA

McCarthy has found a way to be successful in this league, and I think he deserves to be the 5th starter now. El Duque is kind of a dissapointment in my opinion from what we expected him to be. Isn't he supposed to heat up in September?

"It's not my decision," Hernandez said. "I think there's no reason to take me out of the rotation. It's the decision of the manager."

Uhh, let's see.

You've put up a 5.10 ERA. That's decent for a fifth starter.

This is a playoff run, and the situation is crucial. Keeping this team in the game, i.e. four runs in six innings, something like that, isn't good enough anymore. We need to give this team the best shot to win, every time out. McCarthy, at this point, is greater then... well, you.

When you're second biggest fan (me, behind Ozzie Guillen) has left your corner, you're in trouble.

Stop sucking. Please.

Edited by CWSGuy406

QUOTE(sayitaintso @ Sep 12, 2005 -> 03:11 AM)
What matters more right now, respecting el duque or winning games?

Isn't this similar to when Ozzie said that we didn't need to make a trade at the deadline, we were set with what we had because we had the best record in baseball?

Simple really, El Duque doesn't pitch good at home. Only JG and MB IIRC have better home splits than road splits out of our rotation, which probably shows why we've won more road than home games this year. Quite simply, it raises the need of pushing back the fences once again, but that's not gonna happen.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 11, 2005 -> 07:05 PM)
I'll be happy if I don't have to hear another reference to a past accomplishment of Duque for the rest of this season. Luis Sojo had some clutch moments in the playoffs....does that mean he deserves to keep playing near the end of the season even if it's obvious his skills have deteriorated and isn't the best option for the team?

I'm with you on that. I don't want people telling me how great he was 5 years ago. Thats like telling me how great Frank was 5 years ago and how nice it would be to have him in the lineup. Obviously those things would be great, but its not going to happen.

Fact is El Duque isn't the pitcher he once was. Those years he pitched well in the playoffs, he also pitched well during the regular season. You don't just show up in the post-season and turn into another pitcher (there are always exceptions, ie Derek Lowe last year) but for the most part it doesn't happen.

QUOTE(sayitaintso @ Sep 11, 2005 -> 10:11 PM)
What matters more right now, respecting el duque or winning games?

It's about respecting all the players. How Oz handles el duque is how the rest of the team would expect to be treated. Esprit de corps and all that jazz.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Sep 11, 2005 -> 11:29 PM)
It's about respecting all the players. How Oz handles el duque is how the rest of the team would expect to be treated. Esprit de corps and all that jazz.

If you are constantly failing, you will be replaced. Is that now how the players should view it?

QUOTE(Texsox @ Sep 11, 2005 -> 10:29 PM)

We let thriller pitch longer than he should of last year because he was close a record for appearances. I am glad we are worried more about peoples feelings than 1917. I thought this team was about grinders, was about doing whats best for the team, about win or dye trying. But if its about being someones buddy over that, then this team is lost.

QUOTE(3E8 @ Sep 12, 2005 -> 04:14 AM)
It's no coincidence that we have a better road record.  We're not built to play in our own park.

I certainly agree with that.

That's one of the reasons that if we get there, I'm gonna hate facing Boston. That team is built for Fenway. The Red Sox may not keep the opposition under five runs, but that doesn't mean they won't struggle putting up a ten spot.

another quote

Guillen had good reason to worry. Hernandez gave up three homers in a game for the second time in three starts and has lost seven of nine decisions since starting the season 7-1. Guillen thinks Hernandez might have been distracted by the planning

"We talked about this all week and I felt like I let Duque down," Guillen said. "I'm not trying to hurt my pitcher's feelings but we had a plan before the game starts. Duque didn't throw the ball the way we like him to throw the ball. Most of the balls that got hit were hit hard. We thought he was going to give me four, five, six innings to get McCarthy ready to go. Our plans didn't work."

Edited by southsideirish71

Enough of the bulls*** Ozzie. How about we worry less about how Duque's 'feelings' and more about the AL Central title....you know, the one that we currently are pissing away to a better Cleveland team. Duque has been scrap for a while now, and BMac gives us a BETTER OPPORTUNITY to win the game.

We don't need a manager to contribute to the chokejob right now Oz, make the right decision based on the TEAM needs.

Jesus man...

QUOTE(Capn12 @ Sep 12, 2005 -> 06:27 AM)
Enough of the bulls*** Ozzie. How about we worry less about how Duque's 'feelings' and more about the AL Central title....you know, the one that we currently are pissing away to a better Cleveland team. Duque has been scrap for a while now, and BMac gives us a BETTER OPPORTUNITY to win the game.

We don't need a manager to contribute to the chokejob right now Oz, make the right decision based on the TEAM needs.

Jesus man...

Well said. One of the many reasons that if the Titantic sinks, the captain of the ship needs to go down with it. If the Sox fail to make the playoffs this season, I don't know how anyone could want Ozzie back.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 12, 2005 -> 01:34 AM)
Well said.  One of the many reasons that if the Titantic sinks, the captain of the ship needs to go down with it.  If the Sox fail to make the playoffs this season, I don't know how anyone could want Ozzie back.

Maybe because it would be hard to find someone that is a better in game manager? Bet you never though of that one, eh?

I have never liked the ozzie guillen signing. I really did/do not like the ozzie guillen extension only partially through the season? It's not like he is the greatest manager to ever be apart of the mlb and we do not want him possibly leaving via free agency. He has proved very little in his managerial career to get an extension so quickly... the white sox jumped the gun you could say.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Sep 12, 2005 -> 12:55 AM)
I have never liked the ozzie guillen signing. I really did/do not like the ozzie guillen extension only partially through the season? It's not like he is the greatest manager to ever be apart of the mlb and we do not want him possibly leaving via free agency. He has proved very little in his managerial career to get an extension so quickly... the white sox jumped the gun you could say.

If management is honestly dissatisfied with him, I don't believe his paycheck would stand in the way of any firing. He's practically paid nothing as it is. That's one hurdle you can expect to avoid.

If our team experiences a losing season under Guillen, it will become more difficult to tolerate his odd decisions and the noose will tighten. May not take one losing season for tides to shift, but two or so combined with "Ozzie being Ozzie" quotes will make him a target for criticism. s***, if we're unrelenting now with a 1st place team I'd hate to imagine how he'll fare with a team below .500.

Edited by Flash Tizzle