Idea about how to bring Frank Back Next year

White Sox Josh

Give him a Matt Morris type contract:

Here is what you do. You negotiate a contract and than buy him out for $3.5 Million. He than signs the contract that you negotiated and here would be how it would look:

Base Contract: $3.5 Million with a team option for $8 Million or a $500,000 Buy Out.

Bonuses:

350 At Bats- $1 Million

10 Home Runs- $500,000

15 Home Runs- $500,000

450 Total Plate Apperances- $1 Million

30 Home Runs- $3 Million

100 RBI's- $2 Million

90 games- $500,000

110 games- $500,000

He could earn a total of $12 Million next year if he reaches all these bonuses.

You want to create a terrible clubhouse atmosphere? Have Frank's salary determined by how often Ozzie puts him in the lineup. Considering that Frank can no longer be trusted to stay healthy from one game to the next, you're just asking for turmoil with that type of deal.

BTW, I do like the creative approach though. I wouldn't mind taking a chance or two on a contract in the next few years to try and get a superstar here.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 11, 2005 -> 10:35 PM)
You want to create a terrible clubhouse atmosphere?  Have Frank's salary determined by how often Ozzie puts him in the lineup.  Considering that Frank can no longer be trusted to stay healthy from one game to the next, you're just asking for turmoil with that type of deal.

BTW, I do like the creative approach though.  I wouldn't mind taking a chance or two on a contract in the next few years to try and get a superstar here.

But I think Big Hurt has matured. I think he wants to win a championship. i don't think it is all about money. Besides even if he wouldn't get all of the $12 Million he would still get some great dough if he met only some of these bonuses.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 11, 2005 -> 10:29 PM)
I love Frank, and everything he's done for the Sox.  However, it's likely in the best interest of the Sox to give him his 3.5 million, give him his statue, and say adios.

Frank loves stats and loves money. I say an incentive-laden contract would be a better option than adios. I am sure 75% of the white sox fan base would agree with me.

Just don't forget this when thinking about money...how many more seats does Frank fill? Can Frank put an extra 100,000 fans in the seats a year? That's an additional 3 million dollars. How many extra jerseys does he sell? He'll sell one to me pretty soon. How much extra press coverage does he get the team when he launches a ball 475 feet?

How much money could he make for that team as he closes in on 500, all with us? I know I'd pay to be there. A lot.

QUOTE(rangercal @ Sep 12, 2005 -> 12:12 AM)
Frank loves stats and loves money. I say an incentive-laden contract would be a better option than adios. I am sure 75% of the white sox fan base would agree with me.

I rather spend the money on someone we can rely on to play more than 100 games in a season and put up solid than a near crippple who is known to be cancerous.

QUOTE(rangercal @ Sep 12, 2005 -> 05:12 AM)

No offense rangercal, but that's probably the same 75 pct that never wanted to see Ordonez leave. Sometimes, a team needs to get a clean break from a player. Frank has been a terrific player for the White Sox, but we need a DH next season that we can count on to likely be healthy the whole season. And please no Carl Everett!

I hate to say it, but Frank won't step on the field as a White Sox DH again. I don't even think he will actually be able to play again in the majors. If he was getting that hurt just being a DH I don't know how serviceable he could have been. The Sox should and will buy out his contract.

It's highly unlikely that both Frank Thomas and Paul Konerko are back for next season. Right now, Konerko is the favorite to come back. However if he goes to the Mets, Dodgers or Angels, then the chances of Frank coming back increase a little, unless the Sox trade for Lyle Overbay or Chad Tracy and re-sign Carl Everett. A lot of scenarios to play out basically.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 12, 2005 -> 01:06 AM)
No offense rangercal, but that's probably the same 75 pct that never wanted to see Ordonez leave.  Sometimes, a team needs to get a clean break from a player.  Frank has been a terrific player for the White Sox, but we need a DH next season that we can count on to likely be healthy the whole season.  And please no Carl Everett!

Everyone knows where I stand with Frank, and I was ready to let Maggs go with no questions with all the back and forth he was involved in this and last year with the Sox. So there goes that theory. :rolly

Frank cannot be trusted anymore. He clearly was swinging for the fences on every pitch and hit for a piss-poor average. He'll do the same if he's brought back because he's in range of 500 homers, which he'll never reach, BTW. He's way too injury prone now, and if he sticks around the majors for a few more years, you might as well just call him Crimedog. We have no use for a player like that.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Sep 11, 2005 -> 10:28 PM)
Give him a Matt Morris type contract:

Here is what you do. You negotiate a contract and than buy him out for $3.5 Million. He than signs the contract that you negotiated and here would be how it would look:

Base Contract: $3.5 Million with a team option for $8 Million or a $500,000 Buy Out.

Bonuses:

350 At Bats- $1 Million

10 Home Runs- $500,000

15 Home Runs- $500,000

450 Total Plate Apperances- $1 Million

30 Home Runs- $3 Million

100 RBI's- $2 Million

90 games- $500,000

110 games- $500,000

He could earn a total of $12 Million next year if he reaches all these bonuses.

An idea like that could work, except the base salary would be more like a million dollars instead of $3.5mil. If the Sox are going to bring him back, he will have to earn his money in 2006.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 11, 2005 -> 07:29 PM)
I love Frank, and everything he's done for the Sox.  However, it's likely in the best interest of the Sox to give him his 3.5 million, give him his statue, and say adios.

I think Anaheim may give him a pretty good incentive laden deal. They'll gladly play him if he's healthy and is so desperate for a DH. They may go after Paulie, but Paulie is staying on the South Side (or so I hope).

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Sep 12, 2005 -> 11:15 PM)
I think Anaheim may give him a pretty good incentive laden deal.  They'll gladly play him if he's healthy and is so desperate for a DH.  They may go after Paulie, but Paulie is staying on the South Side (or so I hope).

I have a feeling the Angels have their eyes on Mr. Bonds.

Kw's first priority this offseason will be to re-sign Konerko. And give Garland and Peirzynski extentions. He will also have to look for another DH- even if Frank does stay. We can't rely on Frank to stay healthy for a full season, so that being said- can Carl Everett have a similar season? What other DH's will be out there? Isn't Carlos Lee a free agent this offseason? We will also need a new 3B. Sorry Crede fans- but i dont see KW re-signing him.

So here is my dream offseason for KW:

1. re-sign Pauly to a solid contract.

2. give Jon G and AJ solid extensions (they deserve it)

3. Figure out DH situation. (can Carl still be productive? will Frank come back? Can Carlos Lee make a southside return as our new DH?)

4. The Joe Crede experiment must end. Any suggestions?

5. Either trade El-duque, or plug him into our bullpen and use him as a spot starter, becase BMac is the next big thing. Our rotation in 2006 should be: Buerhle, Garland, Garcia, Contreras, and BMac.

My 2005 dreams would be (but being a Sox fan- im just happy for this oppurtunity this late in the season):

4. clinch a playoff spot

3. win the divisional round

2. win the ALCS

1. win the world series

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Sep 12, 2005 -> 08:30 PM)
-A 12-year-old giving financial advice to a professional general manager...priceless.

This post has been edited by the Soxtalk staff to remove objectionable material. Soxtalk encourages a free discussion between its members, but does not allow personal attacks, threats, graphic sexual material, nudity, or any other materials judged offensive by the Administrators and Moderators. Thank you.

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Sep 12, 2005 -> 06:09 PM)
Kw's first priority this offseason will be to re-sign Konerko. And give Garland and Peirzynski extentions. He will also have to look for another DH- even if Frank does stay. We can't rely on Frank to stay healthy for a full season, so that being said- can Carl Everett have a similar season? What other DH's will be out there? Isn't Carlos Lee a free agent this offseason? We will also need a new 3B. Sorry Crede fans- but i dont see KW re-signing him.

So here is my dream offseason for KW:

1. re-sign Pauly to a solid contract.

2. give Jon G and AJ solid extensions (they deserve it)

3. Figure out DH situation. (can Carl still be productive? will Frank come back? Can Carlos Lee make a southside return as our new DH?)

4. The Joe Crede experiment must end. Any suggestions?

5. Either trade El-duque, or plug him into our bullpen and use him as a spot starter, becase BMac is the next big thing. Our rotation in 2006 should be: Buerhle, Garland, Garcia, Contreras, and BMac.

No, Carlos Lee is not a free agent this year. The Brew Crew will have him for 1 more year after this one.

A lot of these things depend on the math. A shocking number of them. Garland is due a big pay raise, as is AJ. Keeping them both piles on the cash. Konerko right now is our offense. Between those 3, if we keep them all, that's an additional $10-20 million in salary beyond this year.

The good news...we have Frank's contract coming off the books, so that will drop from roughly $8 million to $3.5 million.

If Reinsdorf is willing to open the pocketbook a lot, Bill Mueller is available as a more than serviceable replacement for Crede. But given the choice between Mueller and Konerko, AJ, or Garland, there is no choice at all.

Aside from that, trading for pieces may become a necessary step. A question for those who know contracts...if the White Sox pick up Everett's option, what are the rules regarding trading him? With a new Free Agent, you cannot trade a signee for a couple months after the season starts, what about picking up an option?

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 13, 2005 -> 12:30 AM)
No, Carlos Lee is not a free agent this year.  The Brew Crew will have him for 1 more year after this one.

A lot of these things depend on the math.  A shocking number of them.  Garland is due a big pay raise, as is AJ.  Keeping them both piles on the cash.  Konerko right now is our offense.  Between those 3, if we keep them all, that's an additional $10-20 million in salary beyond this year.

The good news...we have Frank's contract coming off the books, so that will drop from roughly $8 million to $3.5 million.

If Reinsdorf is willing to open the pocketbook a lot, Bill Mueller is available as a more than serviceable replacement for Crede.  But given the choice between Mueller and Konerko, AJ, or Garland, there is no choice at all.

Aside from that, trading for pieces may become a necessary step.  A question for those who know contracts...if the White Sox pick up Everett's option, what are the rules regarding trading him?  With a new Free Agent, you cannot trade a signee for a couple months after the season starts, what about picking up an option?

They can pick up the option, then trade him.