Cell Phone provider

RockRaines

I have been a loyal Spring PCS customer for around 6 years, and now that my contracts are up, I have been looking at other options. Here in the city I heard alot about Cingular and T-mobile. I am curious to know other's experiences with different services, and what you have, and why you have it.

Your best bet is to get Nextel/Sprint. Some people love it and some dont like it that much. I love it. I get service everywere, and have never had any "big" problems with it. Ofcorse you are going to have the minor problems, but the biggest problem that I have had was it took 2 mins to send a text message...thats not that big of a deal to me and it only did it for a few days.

I have also have US Cellular and it just sucks...i never got any service.

QUOTE(Whitesoxfan56 @ Sep 12, 2005 -> 11:44 AM)
Your best bet is to get Nextel/Sprint.  Some people love it and some dont like it that much.  I love it.  I get service everywere, and have never had any "big" problems with it.  Ofcorse you are going to have the minor problems, but the biggest problem that I have had was it took 2 mins to send a text message...thats not that big of a deal to me and it only did it for a few days.

I have also have US Cellular and it just sucks...i never got any service.

Thats what I already have, and had for 6 years or so. The bills seem a bit high, and I hear nothing but good things about the other two big players.

QUOTE(Queen Prawn @ Sep 12, 2005 -> 12:14 PM)
I've had Cingular (started as Cellular One) since 1998.  Have had great service - but I make sure to get Nokia phones as the other ones I have tried have been sub-par.

the only problem is that I need a blackberry or other handheld as I get e-mails from work.

I'm not in the Chicago area so I can't really help out. WIth cell coverage it all depends on where you live. As a whole I think Verizon is by far the best. I've had Verizon, T Mobile, Cingular and ATT all at one time or another.

Verizon was the best of the bunch. It is a little more than Tmobile and Cingular though.

I'm not in the Chicago area so I can't really help out. WIth cell coverage it all depends on where you live. As a whole I think Verizon is by far the best. I've had Verizon, T Mobile, Cingular and ATT all at one time or another.

Verizon was the best of the bunch. It is a little more than Tmobile and Cingular though.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Sep 12, 2005 -> 02:51 PM)
pretty pathetic help from the soxtalk community

Probably because this thread has been done before. Try the search option. Heck the most recent thread was only on page 5, from like a week ago.

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=39311

I have had T-Mobile and Verizon. For me(I live in the basement) T-Mobile works best for me. With my Verizon phone, I got no type of reception in the basement. With T-Mobile, I usually get 3 bars. My sister has had Nextel/Sprint(when they were seperate and now). I say beforehand they were overpriced and Sprint really had crappy reception(dropped calls all the time) as few as 3 years ago, but now with them and Nextel, they have good reception. They're still overpriced IMHO though. Check out deals on amazon.com. I got my Motorola a630 for -$50 with new activation. And it allows me to check emails from Pop clients.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Sep 12, 2005 -> 03:11 PM)
I have had T-Mobile and Verizon. For me(I live in the basement) T-Mobile works best for me. With my Verizon phone, I got no type of reception in the basement. With T-Mobile, I usually get 3 bars.

Funny cause I get absolutely no signal with my T-Mobile phone in my basement yet I usually get three bars from my Verizon phone.

QUOTE(Yoda @ Sep 12, 2005 -> 03:46 PM)
Funny cause I get absolutely no signal with my T-Mobile phone in my basement yet I usually get three bars from my Verizon phone.

Damn, I guess phones mean alot as well.

I live in downtown chicago and i am going to be using the service with a blackberry 7100

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Sep 12, 2005 -> 04:25 PM)
Cingular looks like the best coverage, but I dont think they have an in network plan where its free to other users in the network.  Everyone else has that plan.

I watch like 45 minutes of tv a week, and even I have seen those commercials about their free innetwork stuff (the Cingular/At&T family). I have Cingular and it is free mobile to mobile w/i Cingular.

Yeah, Cingular has the Mobile to Mobile thing for other Cingular users. Make sure to try ang get rollover too, I loooooove rollover. Cingular and T-Mobile have been the only 2 I have used and Cingular blows T-Mobile out of the water. Seems as though Sprint/Nextel will be pretty big now with their merger,

Cingular is the best bang for your buck, but they have the THE WORST customer service. They basically lied to us about our coverage area and then won't let us out of their contract despite filing numerous complaints. I can't wait to get rid of them. They have been by far the worse experience I have ever had with a utility, and that is saying something.

I have Sprint PCS...

I have been double billed twice in the last 6 months... Once because I upgraded my phone one day after my minutes started over... The second time because I went over the spending limit from double billing me the first time, so my phone was off half the month and they turned it on in the middle of the month... I also have traveled in certain states and let me tell you. Sprint getting service everywhere is a load of s***. Plus the kicker is I recently moved to Montana and I can't even get a Great Falls phone number because they don't offer it in my area..

If you can avoid it, don't use Sprint any longer then you have to.

All I can add is that Sprint was okay for me, but I do get much better coverage with Verizon. Areas of the Chicago suburbs where my reception has been weak for years now are very strong. A little pricier, though. Just depends what's important. Also, I've heard Sprint's better for data (maybe just costwise, I don't recall), but I don't have any experience with that.