AOL?

DePloderer

I'm thinking of changing my broadband provider soon. The one I use has a limit on the download amount before it charges you extra. I have had AOL before, when I was on dial up and had a much slower PC. I found it used a whole lot of processing power and caused the PC to crash a lot.

I have heard good things and bad re AOL, (I'm not all that concerned with the percieved world domination/big brother aspects of AOL), does anyone here have any thoughts?

If you have any computer experience at all, to the point that you know what you're doing without a nursemaid, there's no need for AOL.

AOL I think should be best viewed quite literally as internet for people who need internet but don't know how to use it.

Also...I could be wrong on this, but I don't think AOL provides their own direct access broadband...like usually you need to pay someone else for broadband, and then you're also paying AOL for access to their content.

A few of their things are useful, like the simple scale of the community if you like their chat rooms, but aside from that, there's no reason to spend the extra money on AOL.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 12, 2005 -> 10:19 PM)
If you have any computer experience at all, to the point that you know what you're doing without a nursemaid, there's no need for AOL.

AOL I think should be best viewed quite literally as internet for people who need internet but don't know how to use it.

Also...I could be wrong on this, but I don't think AOL provides their own direct access broadband...like usually you need to pay someone else for broadband, and then you're also paying AOL for access to their content.

A few of their things are useful, like the simple scale of the community if you like their chat rooms, but aside from that, there's no reason to spend the extra money on AOL.

AOL is very expensive for what it is, which is garbage, IMO.

15 years ago, when I was travelling extensively, my IT Director told me he used AOL. I lmao until he pointed out they had local POPs everywhere. It was always a local dialup. Now that most hotels have free broadband, I can't think of a reason in the world to stay on AOHell.

QUOTE(DePloderer @ Sep 12, 2005 -> 02:57 PM)
I'm thinking of changing my broadband provider soon. The one I use has a limit on the download amount before it charges you extra. I have had AOL before, when I was on dial up and had a much slower PC. I found it used a whole lot of processing power and caused the PC to crash a lot.

I have heard good things and bad re AOL, (I'm not all that concerned with the percieved world domination/big brother aspects of AOL), does anyone here have any thoughts?

Advice on dealing with AOL? 3 words. DONT DO IT!!!!

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Sep 12, 2005 -> 08:07 PM)
Advice on dealing with AOL?  3 words.  DONT DO IT!!!! They are the part of the internet that Al Gore did invent.

Evil misquoter thought NUke's post needed some ghost writing. :ph34r:

QUOTE(DePloderer @ Sep 12, 2005 -> 02:57 PM)

We have two locations in the UK using mistral SDSL(http://www.mistral.co.uk. They have been pretty good, decent tech support and the circuits stay up. I dont know if they have a decent invidual use offering or if they have bandwidth usage costs on the service. I will send an email to one of my collegues in the UK and ask what he uses at home. I set him up with a VPN about a year ago so he owes me one. Have to help out the guy who creates some of the nicest sigs on this site.

Cheers

Edited by southsideirish71