Limping Home

TLAK

Much gloom and doom about the White Sox being so cold late in the year, and how it bodes for the playoffs. In history, World Series winning teams have a .625 winning percentage in regular season games played in September/October. This is no big surprise, WS winners have an average .622 Pct overall, they are the best teams, afterall.

But it is not necessary to be hot in September to win in October. Here are 10 teams that were .500 or lower late, yet won the World Series. There have only been a little over a hundred series played so about a tenth of the winners limped in.

Year__    Name________________    Wins    Loss    Pctg
2000__    New York Yankees____    13__    18__    .419
1944__    St. Louis Cardinals_    14__    19__    .424
1997__    Florida Marlins_____    12__    15__    .444
1938__    New York Yankees____    14__    17__    .452
1935__    Detroit Tigers______    12__    14__    .462
1981__    Los Angeles Dodgers_    15__    17__    .469
1974__    Oakland Athletics___    14__    15__    .483
1958__    New York Yankees____    12__    12__    .500
1966__    Baltimore Orioles___    14__    14__    .500
1990__    Cincinnati Reds_____    16__    16__    .500

By this I conclude that it doesn't matter if you strut into playoffs or sneak in through the side door. All that matters is getting there, then a whole new crapshoot starts.

BTW, it doesn't feel like it, but the Sox are 7-4 in September.

Now, this is the type of thread I can tolerate. Well done. Not only did you say your piece on the current state of our Sox, but you backed it up--with statistical information, nonetheless--and made it your own.

Let this be a lesson to the rest of you!

EDIT: In an attempt to actually add something of substance...one can argue, however, that the Sox don't have anywhere near the talent level the 2000 Yankees had. Hell, I don't even know if I can say without doubt the Sox have more talent than the 1997 Marlins. People much more baseball-intelligent than I have been saying for decades, good pitching beats good hitting. Well, look no further than the 2005 White Sox. If our pitching--especially the starters--can lock it down in the playoffs and keep us in nearly every game, we have a good chance to play for a pennant. Time will tell on this one.

Edited by AddisonStSox

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Sep 12, 2005 -> 08:47 PM)
Now, this is the type of thread I can tolerate.  Well done.  Not only did you say your piece on the current state of our Sox, but you backed it up--with statistical information, nonetheless--and made it your own.

Let this be a lesson to the rest of you!

Wait, don't you owe us a hat eating via web cam? :P

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Sep 12, 2005 -> 07:55 PM)
:) Yes, yes he does. :)

God, were you wrong on that one, Addy.

...and you Bear fans will be paying for it alllllllllllllllllllllllllll season long. Starting a rookie quarterback in the National Football League is grounds for absolute ridicule and criticism. I said it was the wrong move then, and if the Bears win 10 games this season, I will still say it was thw wrong move. I was completely disappointed with that decision.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled program.

Edited by AddisonStSox

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Sep 12, 2005 -> 08:57 PM)
...and you Bear fans will be paying for it alllllllllllllllllllllllllll season long.  Starting a rookie quarterback in the National Football League is grounds for absolute ridicule and criticism.  I said it was the wrong move then, and if the Bears win 10 games this season, I will still say it was thw wrong move.  I was completely disappointed with that decision.

Now you must eat your hat.

EDIT: I like your threads TLAK. You pull out some really interesting stats, that no one else picks up on from the board or the media. Keep up the good work. :cheers

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Sep 12, 2005 -> 08:57 PM)
:crying ...and you Bear fans will be paying for it alllllllllllllllllllllllllll season long.  Starting a rookie quarterback in the National Football League is grounds for absolute ridicule and criticism.  I said it was the wrong move then, and if the Bears win 10 games this season, I will still say it was thw wrong move.  I was completely disappointed with that decision. :crying

:crying :crying :crying

Eat the damn hat!!!

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Sep 12, 2005 -> 08:59 PM)
Now you must eat your hat.

EDIT:  I like your threads TLAK.  You pull out some really interesting stats, that no one else picks up on from the board or the media.  Keep up the good work. :cheers

Thanks - I needed a thread like this..

And we only need 8 more wins to have 95...95 will put any team in the playoffs..

I agree anything can happen once we get there.

I think tho with the Tribe's hotness coupled with our weird play of late and all our injuries, there is justified concern we make the playoffs.

I think we will and hope we will but I finally can see why it aint a certainty.

How does this data compare when you stick in the 2nd half of August?

By choosing just the month of September, you've selectively avoided the thing that really put us in this situation...that disasterous end of August, and you selectively included a 7 game winning streak.

We may be 7-4 in September, but right now, that record does not reflect how we have played over the last 30 days.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 13, 2005 -> 12:24 AM)
How does this data compare when you stick in the 2nd half of August?

By choosing just the month of September, you've selectively avoided the thing that really put us in this situation...that disasterous end of August, and you selectively included a 7 game winning streak.

We may be 7-4 in September, but right now, that record does not reflect how we have played over the last 30 days.

You are selectively including the only period where we had a 7 game losing streak. If you eliminate that streak, we were over .500 from the break to the streak and we are over .500 since the streak.

Well, as far as the 2000 Yankees go, they had won 3 of the previous 4 World Series going into 2000. So they had the experience and know how that this Sox team clearly doesn't. I agree that once you get there, anything can happen. I still think it would be important for a non-experienced team such as the Sox to be playing well going in the playoffs.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2005 @ Sep 13, 2005 -> 05:41 PM)
Well,  as far as the 2000 Yankees go,  they had won 3 of the previous 4 World Series going into 2000.  So they had the experience and know how that this Sox team clearly doesn't.  I agree that once you get there,  anything can happen.  I still think it would be important for a non-experienced team such as the Sox to be playing well going in the playoffs.

It's important but it's not the end all to be all. I'd rather struggle in September and end up making the playoffs then the come out all guns blazing in September and still miss it. Anything can happen once you are there.

QUOTE(TLAK @ Sep 12, 2005 -> 09:45 PM)
Much gloom and doom about the White Sox being so cold late in the year, and how it bodes for the playoffs.  In history, World Series winning teams have a .625 winning percentage in regular season games played in September/October.  This is no big surprise, WS winners have an average .622 Pct overall, they are the best teams, afterall. 

But it is not necessary to be hot in September to win in October.  Here are 10 teams that were .500 or lower late, yet won the World Series.  There have only been a little over a hundred series played so about a tenth of the winners limped in.

Year__    Name________________    Wins    Loss    Pctg
2000__    New York Yankees____    13__    18__    .419
1944__    St. Louis Cardinals_    14__    19__    .424
1997__    Florida Marlins_____    12__    15__    .444
1938__    New York Yankees____    14__    17__    .452
1935__    Detroit Tigers______    12__    14__    .462
1981__    Los Angeles Dodgers_    15__    17__    .469
1974__    Oakland Athletics___    14__    15__    .483
1958__    New York Yankees____    12__    12__    .500
1966__    Baltimore Orioles___    14__    14__    .500
1990__    Cincinnati Reds_____    16__    16__    .500

By this I conclude that it doesn't matter if you strut into playoffs or sneak in through the side door.  All that matters is getting there, then a whole new crapshoot starts.

BTW, it doesn't feel like it, but the Sox are 7-4 in September.

How many of those teams had the Division wraped up by then?

QUOTE(JoshPR @ Sep 13, 2005 -> 03:19 AM)
How many of those teams had the Division wraped up by then?

Looks like they all had a pretty good margin, just like the current White Sox.

1981 was a strike year so they split the season, LA got in from winning the first half with a 36-21 record. They treaded water in the second half going 27-26. The team with the best record, the Reds at 66-42 did not make the playoffs. Folks in Ohio are still upset about that.

Should the White Sox succeed, and we run this query again a few years from now, the 2005 Sox will be right in the mix. You still need 11 wins in the playoffs, no matter how you get in.

Year WS Winner W L Division or League 2nd Place W L GB Note
1935 Detroit Tigers 93 58 New York Yankees 89 60 3  
1938 New York Yankees 99 53 Boston Red Sox 88 61 9.5  
1944 St. Louis Cardinals 105 49 Pittsburgh Pirates 90 63 14.5  
1958 New York Yankees 92 62 Chicago White Sox 82 72 10  
1966 Baltimore Orioles 97 63 Minnesota Twins 89 73 9  
1974 Oakland Athletics 90 72 Texas Rangers 84 76 5  
1981 Los Angeles Dodgers 63 47 NA 63 47   Split Season
1990 Cincinnati Reds 91 71 Los Angeles Dodgers 86 76 5  
1997 Florida Marlins 92 70 Los Angeles Dodgers 88 74 4 Wild Card
2000 New York Yankees 87 74 Boston Red Sox 85 77 2.5