Marte--To be suspended or put on DL

joeynach

QUOTE(YASNY @ Sep 14, 2005 -> 10:56 AM)
Sounds like Marte needed his mommy.

Yes.

I don't think I've seen this in this thread, but I've always got the feeling that Marte thought he should be the closer. It seems like everytime he goes out we tries to blow people away, using it as an audition for Ozzie or even other team that may be interested. And now, all that pressure he's put on himself to be the closer has just gotten to him. Just a thought.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Sep 14, 2005 -> 08:47 AM)
Welcome aboard to Soxtalk.  :)

Let's just hope this doesn't affect Marte's trade value significantly. He could be a good pawn to use in a Rowand + Marte for Juan Pierre, or Marte + El Duque + prospect for Chad Tracy.

And in the off-season, expect the Sox to go after another lefty for the pen. Candidates include Scott Eyre, Scott Sauerbeck, Ricardo Rincon, Chris Hammond and Valerio De Los Santos.

If I'm not mistaken, Juan Pierre is a UFA after this season.

Expect many teams, including the cuddily ones from the Northside to make serious attemps to bring him in.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Sep 14, 2005 -> 01:16 PM)
As of Septmember 14th, my perfect off-season would be to re-sign Paul, let Carl and Frank walk, sign Furcal, move Juan over to 3b, do a package Marte-Duque and Tracy for Overbay, so you platoon Overbay and Paul at 1b/DH. You then go out and sign a swingman, maybe bring Loaiza back, put him in the pen as and as a longman/6th SP, then like you said, bring in a Scott Eyre to give us another LHP.

Sorry, dont want to turn this into an off-season thread.

there is no reason for us to not go after Washburn as our additional starter.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Sep 14, 2005 -> 08:10 PM)
So your saying you want Mark-Jon-Jose-Freddy-Bmac-AND WASHBURN????

I dont think any of those 6 would go for that..... :huh

Plus, Washburn would get the kind of contract that should go to Garland. Not exactly how the sox should "take care of their own".

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Sep 14, 2005 -> 08:52 PM)
this was based on the previous comment of trading contreras and my position has always been of getting rid of El Puke, he is done.

My rotation would be

Mark

John

Wash

Freddy

BMAC

Trade the hottest SP down the stretch who finally seems to have harnessed his potential, for Washburn who likely will get a 3, 4 yr deal for close to $24 mill?

The sox should and probably will try to sign Garland to a 3 yr deal. Not Washburn. And the sox can use the money to get AJ signed to a similar deal.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 14, 2005 -> 03:58 PM)
Washburn would give up a ton of homers at the Cell.  Not only that, but Washburn seems to get arm/shoulder injuries at least once a season.  For the amount of money he'll get, I wouldn't even consider it.  We need more help than just a possible 5th starter.

You mean like today....

They had to call up an emergency starter to take his place today.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Sep 14, 2005 -> 03:58 PM)
Trade the hottest SP down the stretch who finally seems to have harnessed his potential, for Washburn who likely will get a 3, 4 yr deal for close to $24 mill?

The sox should and probably will try to sign Garland to a 3 yr deal. Not Washburn. And the sox can use the money to get AJ signed to a similar deal.

If we can trade an old, semi expensive, pitcher with one year left on his contract for someone that will be helping for years to come... i am all for it. But signing washburn who is an extreme fly ball pitcher for seven million a year to put up a 4.25 era+? He would probally give up fourty homers a season here. But that is not that bad considering milton would give up about 60 because he is such a piece of s***.

Edited by qwerty

QUOTE(beck72 @ Sep 14, 2005 -> 03:58 PM)

I didnt say I wanted ot trade JC, this was in reaction to the previous post mentioning the theory, I was reacting in the same mindset. Jeez, what happened to people reading threads and not the msot recent post :banghead :banghead :banghead

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Sep 14, 2005 -> 09:10 PM)
I didnt say I wanted ot trade JC, this was in reaction to the previous post mentioning the theory, I was reacting in the same mindset.   Jeez, what happened to people reading threads and not the msot recent post :banghead  :banghead  :banghead

maybe because people don't have time to spend all day looking at every post of every thread

And you seemed to like the idea of trading JC, since you put Bmac and Washburn in the 4 and 5 spots. Correct?

Edited by beck72

QUOTE(beck72 @ Sep 14, 2005 -> 04:12 PM)
maybe because people don't have time to spend all day looking at every post of every thread

And you seemed to like the idea of trading JC, since you put Bmac and Washburn in the 4 and 5 spots. Correct?

No, that was in response to IF we traded him for Overbay in that scenario. Read my posts in other threads. I actually want to keep JC because I think he has the best potential. Not only that, but I have said I want to start him in the first game of the playoffs.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Sep 13, 2005 -> 05:53 PM)
Kudos to Al Lopez' ghost who did break this story correctly after Sunday's game. No media outlet reported Marte had been thrown off the team, not even Bruce Levine.

Thanks Dick. I got a lot of s*** yesterday, but I don't make stuff up. This was the first and probably will be the last time I find something out early like this.

By the way, today's Tribune says that Marte was going to his own doctors for a diagnosis, and the story says that pissed off KW. I hadn't seen that posted anywhere. I think the sad part of this is that Damaso never has figured out how good he really is.