A few words on the term "refugee"

AddisonStSox

Dear Media,

Your constant use of the term "refugee" when referring to those "victims" of Hurricane Katrina and her destruction is grossly misused and incorrect in the extreme.

Per Dictionary.com:

an individual seeking refuge or asylum; especially : an individual who has left his or her native country and is unwilling or unable to return to it because of persecution or fear of persecution (as because of race, religion, membership in a particular social group, or political opinion)

These poor people you have deemed "refugees" are nothing of the sort. In fact, your use of the term "refugee" is, in itself, incorrect by definition. To paint these hurricane survivors as "refugees" not only does them as disservice, but labels them in a derogatory and inflammatory manner. These people are American citizens, just like you and I. In no way, shape, or form are they "refugees." This is a time to help out our fellow American, not label them as "outsiders,” “persons in exile” or “immigrants.”

Thank you. I shake your warmly by the hand.

AddisonStSox

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Sep 13, 2005 -> 05:26 PM)
Dear Media,

Your constant use of the term "refugee" when referring to those "victims" of Hurricane Katrina and her destruction is grossly misused and incorrect in the extreme.

Per Dictionary.com:

an individual seeking refuge or asylum; especially : an individual who has left his or her native country and is unwilling or unable to return to it because of persecution or fear of persecution (as because of race, religion, membership in a particular social group, or political opinion)

These poor people you have deemed "refugees" are nothing of the sort.  In fact, your use of the term "refugee" is, in itself, incorrect by definition.  To paint these hurricane survivors as "refugees" not only does them as disservice, but labels them in a derogatory and inflammatory manner.  These people are American citizens, just like you and I.  In no way, shape, or form are they "refugees." This is a time to help out our fellow American, not label them as "outsiders,” “persons in exile” or “immigrants.”

Thank you.  I shake your warmly by the hand.

AddisonStSox

Especially means that most of the time that is the situation but doesn't mean all of the time.

more general definition

n : an exile who flees for safety

One who flees in search of refuge

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=refugee

I think people are just afraid of applying the term as it in some way implies that Americans are on the same level as those of an undevelopped ountry. And aren't all men created equally?

Edited by KipWellsFan

I'm grateful to dictionary.com for putting the word especially in there. Who knows, it may be in there because of my soap-boxing.

However, one quick look at another online source at my disposal Wikipedia does not include the word "especially." Go look at the dictionary, even the :canada one ( :P ) and I promise you the word "especially" won't be in there.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Sep 13, 2005 -> 05:42 PM)
Silly me, I always took refugee to mean one seeking refuge.  I don't see racial, religious, or national overtones, until other people imply it.

You would fit in nicely with the media.

Take the extra 30 seconds, grab an f'ing dictionary, and use the proper term. /end

The semantics of the definition don't really matter. It's just what a people generally think the word means and if you're willing to accept it. I haven't noticed but you're implying that the media has accepted the use of the word to describe Katrina victims.

straight out of my Winston Canadian Dictionary sitting beside my computer

"n. one who flees for safety, esp. from political or religious persecution, to a foreign land."

QUOTE(KipWellsFan @ Sep 13, 2005 -> 05:47 PM)
The semantics of the definition don't really matter.  It's just what a people generally think the word means and if you're willing to accept it.  I haven't noticed but you're implying that the media has accepted the use of the word to describe Katrina victims.

straight out of my Winston Canadian Dictionary sitting beside my computer

"n. one who flees for safety, esp. from political or religious persecution, to a foreign land."

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Sep 13, 2005 -> 06:44 PM)
You would fit in nicely with the media.

Take the extra 30 seconds, grab an f'ing dictionary, and use the proper term. /end

Actually I was thinking that with the spin you are reading into the medias application you would make a good politician.

And really there is no need to get an attitude problem with this. Pull whatever it is, out of your rear, and talk to me when you can act like you want to have an intelligent conversation instead of just screaming at people.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Sep 13, 2005 -> 05:48 PM)
Actually I was thinking that with the spin you are reading into the medias application you would make a good politician. 

And really there is no need to get an attitude problem with this.  Pull whatever it is, out of your rear, and talk to me when you can act like you want to have an intelligent conversation instead of just screaming at people.

Um. Really?

Screaming at people?

Really?

:unsure:

Screaming, you say? Hrmph. Ok. :huh

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Sep 13, 2005 -> 05:48 PM)

This is a completely pointless argument but the word foreign comes after especially and is left out of other definitions completely.

One who flees in search of refuge, as in times of war, political oppression, or religious persecution.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=refugee

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Sep 13, 2005 -> 05:50 PM)
Um.  Really?

Screaming at people?

Really?

:unsure:

Screaming, you say?  Hrmph.  Ok. :huh

grab an f'ing dictionary, and use the proper term. /end

Could be interpreted as screaming, but it's impossible to scream on the internet. Shame on the media, uhh, I mean SS2K for using an offensive term.

Ya know, now that this is a pointless argument, you wouldn't mind me posting this link.

Take note--that is, ya know, if you want to--of how the US Committee refers to those "displaced Americans," those, "evacuees."

Notice, I was able to find this link without subscribing to the AP Wire.

http://www.refugees.org/

Edited by AddisonStSox

Evacuees, the displaced, refugees, all similar words but the media is trying to be edgy so they use the most emotion evoking word, refugee. I don't believe it's false to call the surivors of Katrina that but some do because they are offended that Americans could be considered a term usually reserved for those impoverished in the less developped world.

We got somethin' we both know it

We don't talk too much about it

Yeah it ain't no real big secret all the same

Somehow we get around it

Listen it don't really matter to me baby

You believe what you want to believe

You see you don't have to live like a refugee

Somewhere, somehow somebody

Must have kicked you around some

Tell me why you wanna lay there

And revel in your abandon

Listen it don't make no difference to me baby

Everybody's had to fight to be free

Now baby you don't have to live like a refugee

Baby we ain't the first

I'm sure a lot of other lover's been burned

Right now this seems real to you

But it's one of those things

You gotta feel to be true

Somewhere, somehow somebody

Must have kicked you around some

Who knows, maybe you were kidnapped

Tied up, taken away and held for ransom

It don't really matter to me

Everybody's had to fight to be free

I said you don't have to live like a refugee

-Tom Petty.

the US Committee refers to those "displaced Americans," those, "evacuees."

dis·place Audio pronunciation of "displaced" ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (ds-pls)

tr.v. dis·placed, dis·plac·ing, dis·plac·es

1. To move or shift from the usual place or position, especially to force to leave a homeland: millions of refugees who were displaced by the war.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=displaced

refugees can also be considered displaced, I'm confused

:wacko:

This article is for the group of people as defined by international law. For the description of "refugee" as casually used for any person who has been forced to leave their home, see displaced person.

A refugee is a person seeking asylum in a foreign country in order to escape persecution. Some regional legal instruments further include those seeking to escape generalized violence in the definition of a refugee.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refugee

Hmmmm

QUOTE(EvilMonkey @ Sep 13, 2005 -> 08:55 PM)
I'm seeing alot of 'manufactured outrage' in this post.

If you're referring to our esteemed colleague, Addy, I agree.

One that takes refuge from a storm (or it's aftermath) IS A REFUGEE. Sucks that we're having trouble providing for our own (ZERO blame directed at any one camp over the other. Been there, done that). But the affected citizens displaced from their homes are evacuees, victims, and refugees. All are valid and appropriate terms.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Sep 14, 2005 -> 12:49 AM)
I got an idea............go to this website........

www.redcross.org

.........and donate money or find something useful to do to help this situation rather than squabble on a message board about the defenition of a f***ing word.

/rant over.

Agreed, and done, and done some more, and :cheers

Even as the headlines start to fade, it's important that we keep doing what we can to help the Katrina refugees.

Edited by FlaSoxxJim