White Sox @ Royals 9/14 Gamethread

WSoxMatt

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Sep 14, 2005 -> 08:16 PM)
LOL. You're calling the AL Manager of the year a terrible manager. The statement is funny in and of itself. I need say nothing.

Do you think Jerry Manuel was a good manager? How about Tony Pena? Larry Bowa? Hal Lanier? Don Zimmer? Jimy Williams? Dusty Baker was manager of the year 3 times. Most of these guys get canned a couple of years after they win the award. I don't think they just get stupid. Its the one award where they get a lot more credit than they deserve.

• Replies 819
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(JimH @ Sep 14, 2005 -> 07:19 PM)
They are good fans there too.  I bet a few hundred are White Sox fans also.

last night at the end of the only 20 people left in the ballpark, about 2/3 of them were standing and cheering on Bobby at the end of the game.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Sep 15, 2005 -> 02:19 AM)
Haha. Thats fine. I wonder who's opinion I should value. The people who have dealt with major league baseball or a bunch of guys on a message board. hmmm.

You mean those same people in major league baseball that would say there's absolutely no comparison between Pods and Sizemore? jphat...do you really think Ozzie is a good in-game manager?

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Sep 14, 2005 -> 10:17 PM)
Did he do it in his second year in the bigs?

Tony Pena did. HE GAWN

Gene LaMont did. HE GAWN

Dusty Baker won two, his first in his first year. HE GAWN (from SF)

Larry Dierker did. HE GAWN

Should I go on?

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 14, 2005 -> 08:21 PM)
You mean those same people in major league baseball that would say there's absolutely no comparison between Pods and Sizemore?  jphat...do you really think Ozzie is a good in-game manager?

What he chooses to do works out for the most part. COnsidering this offense has been bad to decent for most of the year, and we've had a hell of a lot of close games in which he's had to make a lot of moves, he has to be doing something right. He makes some moves that make you scratch your head at times, but for the most part they work out.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Sep 15, 2005 -> 02:23 AM)
What he chooses to do works out for the most part. COnsidering this offense has been bad to decent for most of the year, and we've had a hell of a lot of close games in which he's had to make a lot of moves, he has to be doing something right. He makes some moves that make you scratch your head at times, but for the most part they work out.

Fair enough. :cheers

QUOTE(knightni @ Sep 14, 2005 -> 08:23 PM)
Tony Pena did. HE GAWN

Gene LaMont did. HE GAWN

Dusty Baker won two, his first in his first year. HE GAWN (from SF)

Larry Dierker did. HE GAWN

Should I go on?

Dierker did? Now I'll admit I didn't know that.

I honestly wonder how many guys have won Mgr. of the Year who turned out to have good managerial careers, whether it was with the same team or another.

It depends on how the players perform for the most part.