Pledge of Allegiance declared unconstitutional

southsider2k5

Nuke, I'm glad you will blindly recite anything a politician tells you to.

What should we do with the people that will not recite the pledge? Either they are with us or against us. I think we should lock them all up at Gitmo as terrorists.

And finally, how many of y'all recite your state pledge? Every school child recites this after the US Pledge. I'm not certain if we secede from the Union, which Pledge takes precedence.

"Honor the Texas flag; I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas, one and indivisible."

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of you missed the context. I was not stating it's common knowledge that Democrats are Godless. It can be said that most fears rooted in politics are unfounded. But that doesn't change the realization of how such fears can impact the political landscape. This ruling certainly plays to Bush's favor in relation to those fears.

Edited by JUGGERNAUT

QUOTE(Texsox @ Sep 14, 2005 -> 06:37 PM)
Nuke, I'm glad you will blindly recite anything a politician tells you to.

What should we do with the people that will not recite the pledge? Either they are with us or against us. I think we should lock them all up at Gitmo as terrorists.

And finally, how many of y'all recite your state pledge? Every school child recites this after the US Pledge. I'm not certain if we secede from the Union, which Pledge takes precedence.

"Honor the Texas flag; I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas, one and indivisible."

Notice how I didnt say anything about how I felt about the actual case. When I was growing up we had to recite the pledge every day and if some kid was bothered by it then he was allowed to sit down and not say anything. Why do we need to go to court over some silliness like this when it can easily be handled right there on the spot.

I was just pointing out that the left will scream and yell when God is brought up but its ok for them to teach kids to hate America and fill em up with multiculturalist drivel instead of teaching them math, science and reading.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Sep 14, 2005 -> 03:34 PM)
This is from his website.  I dont get it.  The so called atheist is a Rev.

9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals LOL The most reversed court in America.

The Universal Life Church (or ULC) is a religious organization that offers anyone immediate ordination as a ULC minister for free. The organization states that anyone can become a minister immediately, without having to go through the ordination process required by other religious faiths.

The ULC was founded in 1959 by Reverend Kirby J. Hensley. Disappointed with the Pentecostal church, Hensley divorced his wife in 1955 and decided to venture on his own to find his religion. After five years of studying various religions, according to his own statements, Hensley concluded that the proper religion may differ for each man, and everyone is entitled to choose his or her own religion. No one should be criticized or condemned for wanting to practice the belief of his or her choice.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Life_Church

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Sep 14, 2005 -> 07:16 PM)
It is commonly accepted that the pledge, the Our Father, a moment of silence or mentioning God in the classroom to define purpose & meaning to science & mathematics are considered peaceful acts.  It is commonly accepted that God represents, love, understanding, & knowledge.

The majority of Americans believe there is room for the pledge, prayer, & God in the classroom.

Sorry, God= religion.

Religion must stay out of public schools.

It's in the Constitution.

Once again this is not a democratic process to determine what should be in the classroom.

I never really paid attention to the words when I was in school, and now I question if kids should be saying "under God" in a public school.

QUOTE(Wong & Owens @ Sep 14, 2005 -> 04:05 PM)
Your broadbrush ranting is boring.  And your response to this thread is ridiculous and ignorant.  It smacks of extremism.  You should go back to Iraq, they like extremism there.

Blah, blah, blah. Pointing out the facts does not make me an extremist but then anyone who dares disagree with you is probably worthy of that label in the little bubble you live in anyway.

:rolly

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Sep 14, 2005 -> 07:21 PM)
Blah, blah, blah.  Pointing out the facts does not make me an extremist but then anyone who dares disagree with you is probably worthy of that label in the little bubble you live in anyway.

:rolly

Lets join Nuke in today's epsiode of pointing out the facts!

they [the left] are filling up kids with a bunch of revisionist history which teaches them to hate America and preaching "tolerance" for anything and everything EXCEPT for the Judeao Christian values this country was founded on.

This is right out of Ann Coulter's extreme right wing talking points collection, and I'm surprised you're going to this level Nuke.

episode #2 with Nukey Cleveland

the left will scream and yell when God is brought up but its ok for them to teach kids to hate America

Damnit Wong can't you see the truth, that's all Nuke is trying to profess!

Edited by KipWellsFan

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Sep 14, 2005 -> 08:27 PM)
It was really pointless anyways.... Kids said it but they never thought about it....I always thought it was kind of a waste of time.

So let's see;

It's a waste of time, and there no point in saying it because kids don't know the meaning behind it.

I agree with you, and think it should be removed from the classroom entirely if it is so contreversial.

I can only imagine Juggs' reaction if some Muslim community voted to change the words to "one nation under Allah" because a majority felt it should be in the classroom.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Sep 14, 2005 -> 07:27 PM)
It was really pointless anyways.... Kids said it but they never thought about it....I always thought it was kind of a waste of time.

Just wondering that if along with the pledge of allegiance do K-12 students have to stand for the anthem in the States? We just always had our anthem and dat was dat.

QUOTE(KipWellsFan @ Sep 14, 2005 -> 06:34 PM)
Just wondering that if along with the pledge of allegiance do K-12 students have to stand for the anthem in the States?  We just always had our anthem and dat was dat.

I think most places in the states do not make use of the national anthem...none of the schools I was in ever did.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Sep 14, 2005 -> 06:13 PM)
I was just pointing out that the left will scream and yell when God is brought up but its ok for them to teach kids to hate America and fill em up with multiculturalist drivel instead of teaching them math, science and reading.

But of course, we can't actually teach students science either, because Genesis tells me so.

(not necessarily aimed at Nuke, since I don't know how Nuke fits into the whole ID joke/issue)

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 14, 2005 -> 08:43 PM)
I think most places in the states do not make use of the national anthem...none of the schools I was in ever did.

Yup, the only times it came up was in elementary music classes and American Revolution history, and sporting events.

For SouthSideIrish, one can be an atheist and be a Reverend in the ULC. The only credo of the Church is to "do what is right" without harming others.

It is the same case as the Newdow case only this time the people have legal standing. And it seems that there is a simple solution -- remove the law that says that something patriotic must be said at the beginning of class. It would be the easiest way to not offend that "Christian" minority. Because they are so ostracized Perhaps one day we can have a President who is openly Christian and courts Christians in his campaign...or forty three of them...consecutively.

And to anybody who says that we were founded on the Christian religion, I point to the Treaty of Tripoli in which George Washington wrote (and it was unanimously passed by Congress): "The United States is in no sense founded upon the Christian religion."

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Sep 14, 2005 -> 07:24 PM)
It's NOT in the US Cons.  The US Cons taken as a whole would favor the free exercise clause over the establishment clause.

G. Washington was a devout Episcopalian; Benjamin Rush, Roger Sherman, and Thomas McKean were evangelicals.

And Thomas Jefferson wrote a version of the New Testament where all reference to Jesus's miracles was removed because he did not believe in that portion.

Who cares what religion the founding fathers were? They designed a document built to avoid allowing 1 religion to dominate just because it was the most popular.

George Washington's Thanksgiving Proclamation:[City of New York, October 3, 1789]

Whereas it is the duty of all Nations to acknowledge the Providence of Almighty God, to obey His will, to be grateful for His benefits, and humbly to implore His protection and favor, and Whereas both Houses of Congress have by their joint Committee requested me "to "recommend to the People of the United States a day of public thanks-giving and prayer to be observed by acknowledging with grateful hearts the many single favors of Almighty God, especially by affording them an opportunity peaceably to establish a form of government for their safety and happiness."

Now therefore I do recommend and assign Thursday the 26th. day of November next to be devoted by the People of these States to the service of that great and glorious Being, who is the beneficent Author of all the good that was, that is, or that will be. That we may then all unite in rendering unto Him our sincere and humble thanks, for His kind care and protection of the People of this country previous to their becoming a Nation, for the signal and manifold mercies, and the favorable interpositions of His Providence, which we experienced in the course and conclusion of the late war, for the great degree of tranquility, union, and plenty, which we have since enjoyed, for the peaceable and rational manner in which we have been enabled to establish constitutions of government for our safety and happiness, and particularly the national One now lately instituted, for the civil and religious liberty with which we are blessed, and the means we have of acquiring and diffusing useful knowledge and in general for all the great and various favors which He hath been pleased to confer upon us.

And also that we may then unite in most humbly offering our prayers and supplications to the great Lord and Ruler of Nations and beseech Him to pardon our national and other transgressions, to enable us all, whether in public or private stations, to perform our several and relative duties properly and punctually, to render our national government a blessing to all the People, by constantly being a government of wise, just and constitutional laws, discreetly and faithfully executed and obeyed, to protect and guide all Sovereigns and Nations (especially such as have shown kindness unto us) and to bless them with good government, peace, and concord. To promote the knowledge and practice of true religion and virtue, and the encrease of science among them and Us, and generally to grant unto all Mankind such a degree of temporal prosperity as He alone knows to be best.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 14, 2005 -> 07:46 PM)
But of course, we can't actually teach students science either, because Genesis tells me so.

(not necessarily aimed at Nuke, since I don't know how Nuke fits into the whole ID joke/issue)

Dont get me involved in the Creationism vs Evolution debate. I dont want any part of that nightmare.

http://www.yale.edu/lawweb/avalon/diplomac...itian/paris.htm Paris Peace Treaty, Sept 3, 1783

In the name of the most holy and undivided Trinity.

It having pleased the Divine Providence to dispose the hearts of the most serene and most potent Prince George the Third, by the grace of God, king of Great Britain, France, and Ireland, defender of the faith, duke of Brunswick and Lunebourg, arch-treasurer and prince elector of the Holy Roman Empire etc., and of the United States of America, to forget all past misunderstandings and differences that have unhappily interrupted the good correspondence and friendship which they mutually wish to restore, and to establish such a beneficial and satisfactory intercourse , between the two countries upon the ground of reciprocal advantages and mutual convenience as may promote and secure to both perpetual peace and harmony;