southsider2k5

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Mentionned a couple posts ago...Treaty of Tripoli

"As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion; as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion, or tranquillity, of Musselmen; and as the said States never have entered into any war or act of hostility against any Mehomitan nation, it is declared by the parties that no pretext arising from religious opinions shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries."

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Sep 15, 2005 -> 01:20 AM)
Sorry, God= religion.

Religion must stay out of public schools.

It's in the Constitution.

No, it is not. Plus, many of the state constitutions expressly mention God at least once.

Illinois is:

We, the People of the State of Illinois - grateful to

Almighty God for the civil, political and religious liberty

which He has permitted us to enjoy and seeking His blessing

upon our endeavors......

Texas:

Article 1 - BILL OF RIGHTS

Section 6 - FREEDOM OF WORSHIP

All men have a natural and indefeasible right to worship Almighty God according to the dictates of their own consciences. No man shall be compelled to attend, erect or support any place of worship, or to maintain any ministry against his consent. No human authority ought, in any case whatever, to control or interfere with the rights of conscience in matters of religion, and no preference shall ever be given by law to any religious society or mode of worship. But it shall be the duty of the Legislature to pass such laws as may be necessary to protect equally every religious denomination in the peaceable enjoyment of its own mode of public worship.

Even the godless state of California mentions God in the preamble:

CALIFORNIA CONSTITUTION

PREAMBLE

We, the People of the State of California, grateful to Almighty God for our

freedom, in order to secure and perpetuate its blessings, do establish this

Constitution.

http://www.eadshome.com/QuotesoftheFounders.htm

John Adams, John Hancock, Samuel Adams, John Quincy Adams, Charles Carroll, Benjamin Franklin, Alexander Hamilton, Patrick Henry, John Jay, Thomas Jefferson, Samuel Johnston, James Madison, James McHenry, Jedidiah Morse, Thomas Paine, Benjamin Rush, George Washington, Nelly Custis-Lewis, & James Wilson.

Benjamin Franklin:

“ God governs in the affairs of man. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without his notice, is it probable that an empire can rise without His aid? We have been assured in the Sacred Writings that except the Lord build the house, they labor in vain that build it. I firmly believe this. I also believe that, without His concurring aid, we shall succeed in this political building no better than the builders of Babel” –Constitutional Convention of 1787 | original manuscript of this speech

“In the beginning of the contest with Britain, when we were sensible of danger, we had daily prayers in this room for Divine protection. Our prayers, Sir, were heard, and they were graciously answered… do we imagine we no longer need His assistance?” [Constitutional Convention, Thursday June 28, 1787]

In Benjamin Franklin's 1749 plan of education for public schools in Pennsylvania, he insisted that schools teach "the excellency of the Christian religion above all others, ancient or modern."

In 1787 when Franklin helped found Benjamin Franklin University, it was dedicated as "a nursery of religion and learning, built on Christ, the Cornerstone."

Thomas Jefferson:

“Of all the systems of morality, ancient or modern which have come under my observation, none appears to me so pure as that of Jesus.”

"I am a real Christian, that is to say, a disciple of the doctrines of Jesus."

“God who gave us life gave us liberty. And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are a gift from God? That they are not to be violated but with His wrath? Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just, and that His justice cannot sleep forever.” (excerpts are inscribed on the walls of the Jefferson Memorial in the nations capital) [source: Merrill . D. Peterson, ed., Jefferson Writings, (New York: Literary Classics of the United States, Inc., 1984), Vol. IV, p. 289. From Jefferson’s Notes on the State of Virginia, Query XVIII, 1781.]

It is ridiculous to suggest that ID portends to teach Genesis over Evolution.

It does not. Evolution is a part of ID. All ID attempts to do is apply a purpose & meaning to the science that most of us can relate to. Genesis can be mentioned in regards to evolution in relation to the chronology of events. It's obvious to us today but it wasn't in centuries past. There are parallels that can add meaning to evolution for the non-secularist in us.

You can either cling to the belief that a treaty between the USA and the Bey and Subjects of Tripoli, of Barbary implied no mention of God in our public schools or you can read the Treaty of Paris as a clear reflection that God has a place in both our public & private lives. Comparing the two it's blatantly obvious the two documents are tailored to appease their participants.

Edited by JUGGERNAUT

http://www.wallbuilders.com/resources/sear...hp?ResourceID=5 Detailed analysis of The Treaty of Tripoli

... assured the Muslims that the United States was not a Christian nation like those of previous centuries and thus would not undertake a religious holy war against them.

President Adams:

The general principles on which the fathers achieved independence were. . . . the general principles of Christianity. . . . I will avow that I then believed, and now believe, that those general principles of Christianity are as eternal and immutable as the existence and attributes of God; and that those principles of liberty are as unalterable as human nature.

Edited by JUGGERNAUT