New Safety for the Bears

Personally I think this is a really hasty and ill-advised decision. Mike Green is getting benched because he had a pass interference call, and that really bothers me. Last year i thought that of all the players, Mike Green benefited and grew in Lovie Smiths defense the most. I love Peanut Tillman, but he gets called for PI penalties. jerry azumah got burned by Santana Moss on a third and long. It just seems like Green took the blame for the loss. he contributed to 3 points for the Redskins, thats it. I dont see the D-Line getting benched for allowing 121 yards to Portis.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Sep 14, 2005 -> 04:48 PM)
Personally I think this is a really hasty and ill-advised decision. Mike Green is getting benched because he had a pass interference call, and that really bothers me. Last year i thought that of all the players, Mike Green benefited and grew in Lovie Smiths defense the most. I love Peanut Tillman, but he gets called for PI penalties.  jerry azumah got burned by Santana Moss on a third and long. It just seems like Green took the blame for the loss. he contributed to 3 points for the Redskins, thats it.  I dont see the D-Line getting benched for allowing 121 yards to Portis.

fiction

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Sep 14, 2005 -> 04:49 PM)
Mike Green is not getting benched just because of a pass interference call. I watched the game a few times and he was absolutely horrid. I'm surprised he made it through the 1st half before they decided to put in Todd Johnson.

Hey, he had a bad game. he has been a starter for 2 years now, and he screwed up. Bench him for the game fine, But I think he is better than that. They judged his abilities on one half of the first game

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Sep 14, 2005 -> 04:52 PM)
Hey, he had a bad game.  he has been a starter for 2 years now, and he screwed up.  Bench him for the game fine, But I think he is better than that. They judged his abilities on one half of the first game

Or they saw him suck in practice as well? We don't really know the exact reason why he's being benched. All we really know is that he had a horrible game Vs the Redskins. Lovie may have seen something from him in practice or training camp that he didn't like. Lovie isn't going to bench him if he thinks he can be affective.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Sep 14, 2005 -> 04:56 PM)
and training camp

and preseason

So he was good enough to start all the way through the preseason, and then they just figured out in the first half that he cant cut it? GMAB

Green is a good player within the system, but his strenth is when he plays up on the line against the run. he never has been the greatest cover FS, but I still think he is better than Todd "hit them hard" Johnson. The only thing I can recall about Todd Johnson is that he got completely dismantled by the Vikings in the metrodome last year, and started hitting people late.

Actually he had 2 bad plays i can remember the PI a course and than he missed a tackle on Moss for that long reception. Obviously there had to be more to it than just this 1 game but im glad Lovie isnt hesitating to play the player he feels is the best even if its a rookie. This looks like it could be a really good draft for us with Benson, Bradley, Orton, and Harris.... Ive also heard a lot about this undrafted rookie we have Rashied Davis.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Sep 14, 2005 -> 04:59 PM)
Does Todd Johnson play behind Mike Brown?

I've liked Todd Johnson since they drafted him, I was sort of hoping that he'd be named the starter...

He plays both FS and SS. When they pulled Green on Sunday they brought him in to play SS. Todd is not all that fast and can't cover very well but god damn he lay it hit on you.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Sep 14, 2005 -> 05:01 PM)
Actually he had 2 bad plays i can remember the PI a course and than he missed a tackle on Moss for that long reception.  Obviously there had to be more to it than just this 1 game but im glad Lovie isnt hesitating to play the player he feels is the best even if its a rookie.  This looks like it could be a really good draft for us with Benson, Bradley, Orton, and Harris.... Ive also heard a lot about this undrafted rookie we have Rashied Davis.

That was Azumah

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Sep 14, 2005 -> 10:05 PM)
I dont want you guys to think that I am the biggest fan of Green, and I am not going to defend him till my last breath, I just think he is better than the alternatives. Im a bears fan though, so i am hoping that Harris proves me wrong.

Azumah blew the coverage Mike Green missed a tackle that could of made it a lot shorter of a catch read more carefully :drink

I don't think anyone can question a move regarding Bears db's. Having seen what they were able/are able to accomplish with the eclectic group of db's they have, I refuse to question any decision regarding those positions. I mean, there really isn't a stand-out, impact player in the bunch. I suppose arguments can be made for Tillman and Azumah--and in time, Vasher--but, we don't have what a lot of scouts would call lock-down db's. We just have a bunch of gutsy players that make it work. I'm actually looking forward to see how this plays out.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Sep 14, 2005 -> 10:19 PM)
I don't think anyone can question a move regarding Bears db's.  Having seen what they were able/are able to accomplish with the eclectic group of db's they have, I refuse to question any decision regarding those positions.  I mean, there really isn't a stand-out, impact player in the bunch.  I suppose arguments can be made for Tillman and Azumah--and in time, Vasher--but, we don't have what a lot of scouts would call lock-down db's.  We just have a bunch of gutsy players that make it work.  I'm actually looking forward to see how this plays out.

I've never been a huge fan of Azumah, the corner. Nickel-back, okay, fine, you can hide him a little more, but certainly not a #1 or #2 in my mind.

What'd'you think of "Zoom"?

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Sep 14, 2005 -> 05:21 PM)
I've never been a huge fan of Azumah, the corner.  Nickel-back, okay, fine, you can hide him a little more, but certainly not a #1 or #2 in my mind.

I agree regarding Zoom, when healthy I can deal with him as the #2 though.

Also, Todd Johnson :puke

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Sep 14, 2005 -> 04:21 PM)
I've never been a huge fan of Azumah, the corner.  Nickel-back, okay, fine, you can hide him a little more, but certainly not a #1 or #2 in my mind.

Know what, Keith? You took the words right outta my mouth. I mean, nearly the exact sentence I was going to write. :lol:

I think as a nickle-back, you'd be hard-pressed to find someone with his talent on nearly any team around the league. But, as you've stated, I really don't like Zoom-the corner. I think his style of play is more suited for a kickoff-punt return type player with some additional coverage available at the nickle package. Really, I just think he's awfully raw to be a starting corner. Who knows? Maybe he'll really come on this year and impress the heck out of me. Wouldn't be the first time a Bears DB was able to do that. This will be a very important year regarding his development and really, just those gutsy-feels and reads for the ball.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Sep 14, 2005 -> 05:25 PM)
Know what, Keith?  You took the words right outta my mouth.  I mean, nearly the exact sentence I was going to write. :lol:

I think as a nickle-back, you'd be hard-pressed to find someone with his talent on nearly any team around the league.  But, as you've stated, I really don't like Zoom-the corner.  I think his style of play is more suited for a kickoff-punt return type player with some additional coverage available at the nickle package.  Really, I just think he's awfully raw to be a starting corner.  Who knows?  Maybe he'll really come on this year and impress the heck out of me.  Wouldn't be the first time a Bears DB was able to do that.  This will be a very important year regarding his development and really, just those gutsy-feels and reads for the ball.

I like Vasher as the #2 DB, just because he seems to turn it up a notch when needed. Plus the guy is an interception machine.