Scott Podsednik

Felix

QUOTE(qwerty @ Sep 15, 2005 -> 06:10 AM)
I actually meant he is one of our worst players on the base paths. My point still stands that he is not a very good base stealer.

I'd say he's an exceptional basestealer but perhaps a poor baserunner. He does make some poor decisions while running during a play but he's trying to put pressure on the defense. Also, Joey has sent him countless times on contact from 3B, which accounts for many of the outs you've referred to. But his ability to read pickoff moves, get quality jumps, and, in steal situations, make very effective slides leads me to believe that he is certainly an above average basestealer. Also, I think he'd be well above his current 74% success rate if not for his CS streak when he was trying to battle through the hurting groin.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(qwerty @ Sep 15, 2005 -> 06:10 AM)
I actually meant he is one of our worst players on the base paths. My point still stands that he is not a very good base stealer.

Idonno he just seems so streaky on the basepaths 2 me. He will steal 10 in a row than get caught like 5 times in a row or something on those lines. He also has hurt his back so that probably is affecting his baserunning some though.

Last year he had more SB's and less CS so I think him being hurt is a big part of it.

Edited by SoxFan101

QUOTE(TheBigHurt @ Sep 15, 2005 -> 09:57 AM)
Pods not a good defensive player? Just becuase he made 1 or 2 errors last night? *Sigh* I can't stand stuff like that.

He has been a hot hitter lately. Ironic considering he's stolen, what? 1 or 2 bases since getting off the DL?

I guess everyone forgets that he only had ONE error going into last nights game?

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Sep 15, 2005 -> 10:04 AM)
I guess everyone forgets that he only had ONE error going into last nights game?

In all honesty, Pods has left something to be desired defensively. So has Dye for that matter, and he was considered a good defensive outfielder prior to this year. I don't know what his problem is out there, but Pods came in with a less than stellar defensive rep.

Well his "rep" obviously doesn't tell the truth. I've seen a great defensive player. Not as good as Aaron, but very solid. Man makes one or two errors and everyone jumps on him. Show me a great defensive player who has a history of NO errors and I'll show you a lie.

Edited by TheBigHurt

QUOTE(TheBigHurt @ Sep 15, 2005 -> 10:09 AM)
Well his "rep" obviously doesn't tell the truth. I've seen a great defensive player. Not as good as Aaron, but very solid. Man makes one or two errors and everyone jumps on him. Show me a great defensive player who has a history of NO errors and I'll show you a lie.

Have you watched him judge flyballs? Play balls off the wall? No way is Pods "Great" defensively. He's adequate, at best.

QUOTE(TheBigHurt @ Sep 15, 2005 -> 10:21 AM)
Well we talk about his errors. He hasn't made many. And I see so many Aaron-esque catches from him that I'm impressd.

Jeez, everything has to be perfect with some people.

I am hardly the quasi-critical Sox fan. I don't look for perfection, but I was trying to give an honest evaluation of Pods, defensively. Basing your argument on the number of errors is like saying Carlos Lee was a gold glover last year. He wasn't.

Well I am a fan. I know a lot about baseball, but not enough to make me a critic on player performances. But in what I've seen from Pods, I've seen amazing plays, few errors, and obviously great speed. As far as him not getting good jumps on balls, maybe I'm missing that. The only time I can really recall that happening was last night.

QUOTE(TheBigHurt @ Sep 15, 2005 -> 10:30 AM)
Well I am a fan. I know a lot about baseball, but not enough to make me a critic on player performances. But in what I've seen from Pods, I've seen amazing plays, few errors, and obviously great speed. As far as him not getting good jumps on balls, maybe I'm missing that. The only time I can really recall that happening was last night.

Fair enough. Just watch with a more critical eye in the future. As I said, he's adequate, but he's no defensive wiz out there.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Sep 15, 2005 -> 10:32 AM)
Fair enough.  Just watch with a more critical eye in the future.  As I said, he's adequate, but he's no defensive wiz out there.

were you saying that when he was jumping into the crowd to get a ball. Or with a diving web gem on ESPN. He is better than what we had, and had ONE error. He gets to more balls, and had ONE error. Sounds pretty solid to me

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Sep 15, 2005 -> 10:41 AM)
were you saying that when he was jumping into the crowd to get a ball.  Or with a diving web gem on ESPN.  He is better than what we had, and had ONE error.  He gets to more balls, and had ONE error.  Sounds pretty solid to me

I've also seen Rowand cover his ass on a few occasions. I've seen him get late jumps and misjudge balls that resulted in "web gems" because he had the speed to recover. Pods ain't bad out there, don't get me wrong. He's certainly not great either.

Pods gets bad reads, and has been bailed out on balls to left center by Aaron a few times. But his speed in the outfield generally allows him to make up enough ground.

But good speed alone doesn't take away the fact his arm isn't good enough for a corner position, and someone like Brian Anderson would be a better player there defensively right now. But I can live with Pods defensively, with what he's done to this ballclub offensively.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Sep 15, 2005 -> 10:45 AM)
Pods gets bad reads, and has been bailed out on balls to left center by Aaron a few times. But his speed in the outfield generally allows him to make up enough ground.

But good speed alone doesn't take away the fact his arm isn't good enough for a corner position, and someone like Brian Anderson would be a better player there defensively right now. But I can live with Pods defensively, with what he's done to this ballclub offensively.

Impeccable timing, my friend. :cheers

QUOTE(TheBigHurt @ Sep 15, 2005 -> 10:46 AM)
I see green. Can I take you seriously? O_O

No, Manny Ramirez was not meant as a serious answer ... unless you take his bat into account. I'll go along with DBAH0. Defensively, Brian Anderson will do just fine.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Sep 15, 2005 -> 01:41 AM)
Idonno he just seems so streaky on the basepaths 2 me.  He will steal 10 in a row than get caught like 5 times in a row or something on those lines.  He also has hurt his back so that probably is affecting his baserunning some though.

Last year he had more SB's and less CS so I think him being hurt is a big part of it.

I think you're right that there must be a serious injury component to Pods's performance lately...remember, at one point this season, he stole something like 22 in a row, and that was after he already had 30 stolen bases or so. Everyone on the field knew that he was running when he was on base, but he was still getting them stolen anyway.

Then, say around the All Star Break or shortly thereafter, he couldn't buy a stolen base, and then wound up on the DL.

I think that there has to be a major injury component to Pods's caught stealings, just because there's no way he's suddenly forgotten how to get a jump or that pitchers have suddenly figured him out.