Is this OK?

WilliamTell

In my community, there are girls joining the Boy Scouts of America. And to be honest, I'd rather have them stick with girl scouts but whatever works. The kicker is that in certain areas boys have tried to join the Girl Scouts of America and couldn't because they are boys. I wouldn't want to join, but considering that I was a cub scout and very briefly a boy scout, it really offends me. Anyone have any thoughts about this? I think everyone should go by their own name. Let boys be in boy scouts and let girls be in girl scouts. But if that can't work, at least let boys be able to be in girl scouts too if they so desire.

My experience at camp in Boy Scouts was not pleasant. The elder scouts were psychos. Burning frogs at the stake, burning us, running our boxers up the flag pole, & harassment to no end. I can't imagine what a girl would be facing under those circumstances.

If you're asking how did this happen it has to do with merit badges. Adults go off with the kids earning merit badges requiring adult supervision & the camp is entrusted to the 15-17 yr olds.

It did not sour my experience & I went on to become an eagle scout. I still attend camp events when I get the time & they are short on adults. Needless to say I am ever mindful & watchful for psycho's like my troop had.

Boys will be boys & a girl in that world is inviting trouble of a criminal nature.

Edited by JUGGERNAUT

As far as I'm concerned, both the Boy Scouts and the Girl Scouts are private organizations, totally free to set their own rules. And to the best of my knowledge, the Supreme Court upheld that belief a few years ago when they ruled that the Boy Scouts could ban homosexual scoutmasters.

Therefore...the Boy Scouts can admit or bar girls if they want, and the girl scouts can admit or bar boys if they want, and I see no problem at all either way.

This is coming from an Eagle Scout, btw.

QUOTE(winodj @ Sep 15, 2005 -> 06:18 AM)
The Boy Scouts have programs where girls can join. (Partly as an incentive to keep older boys in the program) That's been happening for years. As far as I'm aware, girls can't be regular scouts though.

BSA has had co-ed programs for a long time. Learning for Life is a classroom based program open to anyone. The program that is probably getting press there is Venturing. Venturing is open to boys and girls who are 14 years of age and have completed the 8th Grade. If a Venture has earned 1st Class rank as a Boy Scout, he can continue to earn Boy Scout advancements while in a Crew. This prevents girls from becoming Eagle Scouts, something GSUSA has always felt threatened by. There is also Explorers which is generally set up with fire and law enforcement groups and again is co-ed.

Interesting to me, and maybe one or two other people here, The World Organization of Scouting Movements (WOSM) is in almost every country and each country has control over how they implement the program that Baden Rowell started in England almost 100 years ago. In the majority of countries, Scouting is co-ed. We see many Troops from Mexico at our events and it is always a kick to see how knowledgeable and competent their young ladies are.

Chicago link. WD Boyce, a Chicago businessman, was the founder of Boy Scouts in America Linked here

Juggs, I am sorry you fell into that kind of group. With any volunteer organization, there are great leaders and the not so great. Sounds like these adult leaders needed some more training.

I hold 5 or 6 different positions within BSA, and I can assure you that your situation was rare. My hunch is there are more units like that than we think, but a tiny percentage.

One of factors that has more young women looking at BSA programs is the outdoor choices. This past year my Scouts have rock climbed, rappelled, motor boated, water skiing, wilderness backpacking, deep sea fishing, shotgun, rifle, archery, been to an Astros game (with Clemens pitching), and will be camping on a barrier island next month. We are fairly typical in our trips. Most Girl Scouts just don't do much of that. With most High Schools eliminating outdoor clubs and the like, BSA offers a very solid High School ~ College program.

Maybe there should be an umbrella organization called Scouts of America? Then there can be the BSA the GS and then the Scouts of America which will be co-ed?

BTW, I am absolutely sick of the political correctness of this country. I have no problem with girls as a scout, but if there is going to be a separation, then keep the separation. If there's no other choice, then fine, like a girl on the boys wrestling team.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Sep 15, 2005 -> 10:30 AM)
Maybe there should be an umbrella organization called Scouts of America?  Then there can be the BSA the GS and then the Scouts of America which will be co-ed? 

BTW, I am absolutely sick of the political correctness of this country.  I have no problem  with girls as a scout, but if there is going to be a separation, then keep the separation.  If there's no other choice, then fine, like a girl on the boys wrestling team.

The folks at GSUSA are making too much money to ever merge. Those cookies are an amazing fundraising deal. BTW, if anyone would like to order some Boy Scout popcorn, I can set you up.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Sep 15, 2005 -> 08:33 AM)
The folks at GSUSA are making too much money to ever merge. Those cookies are an amazing fundraising deal. BTW, if anyone would like to order some Boy Scout popcorn, I can set you up.

Man...did I ever sell a lot of that stuff. Very good popcorn, I might add.

Got myself a free 10 speed bike when I was in 3rd grade from selling that.

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Sep 14, 2005 -> 08:21 PM)
In my community, there are girls joining the Boy Scouts of America. And to be honest, I'd rather have them stick with girl scouts but whatever works. The kicker is that in certain areas boys have tried to join the Girl Scouts of America and couldn't because they are boys. I wouldn't want to join, but considering that I was a cub scout and very briefly a boy scout, it really offends me. Anyone have any thoughts about this? I think everyone should go by their own name. Let boys be in boy scouts and let girls be in girl scouts. But if that can't work, at least let boys be able to be in girl scouts too if they so desire.

Anyone else sick of people?

I don't know a lot about the scouts, so you'll have to excuse the question. Are these boys already boy scouts who want to also be girl scouts?...or boys who would rather be girl scouts? I assume both gropus offer different things and the differences are probably gender based. Besides 'why not?' why would a boy want to be a girl scout?

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Sep 15, 2005 -> 10:21 PM)
I don't know a lot about the scouts, so you'll have to excuse the question. Are these boys already boy scouts who want to also be girl scouts?...or boys who would rather be girl scouts? I assume both gropus offer different things and the differences are probably gender based. Besides 'why not?' why would a boy want to be a girl scout?

The boys aren't in my area, just the girls that are in boy scouts. What I've read about is that the boys that want to be in it, are boy scouts but want to have a chance to meet and make friends with girls, which is why they want to join the girl scouts.

In addition to my above posts, I can understand why girls would rather join boy scouts instead of girls scouts. I was in girl scouts for a couple years and it was (just about) the MOST boring experience I have ever had. My brother was in boy scouts for a couple years and actually did fun, educational stuff.

QUOTE(Queen Prawn @ Sep 16, 2005 -> 08:57 AM)
In addition to my above posts, I can understand why girls would rather join boy scouts instead of girls scouts.  I was in girl scouts for a couple years and it was (just about) the MOST boring experience I have ever had.  My brother was in boy scouts for a couple years and actually did fun, educational stuff.

There are merit badges you and Brian could teach. Most Troops are always looking for someone who wants to offer an interesting program.

Auto Mechanics, Electronics, Electricity, are a few that come to mind. The Auto Mechanics is tough for a younger (11-14) Scout, but the older guys do well.