Ozzie calls meeting with Vets before Weds game

southsideirish71

"Pick it up!!

Now, I wanted to just say that some of you are sucking ass right now, but since I'm loyal to those of you that helped us beat up on the Royals and the Tigers in the past, theres nothing you can do wrong to make me wanna try something new!"

By the Chicago Tribune

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- With an American League Central title within reach, manager Ozzie Guillen met with 14 veteran players before Wednesday night's game to stress the importance of playing well down the stretch.

"I told them, 'Let's pick it up,'" Guillen said.

The meeting lasted about 30 minutes and carried into the Sox's batting practice session. Guillen briefly explained the status of embattled left-handed reliever Damaso Marte to his players and said the veterans fully supported whatever decision was made on Marte, who hasn't been with the team since being sent home Sunday for arriving late to the ballpark.

--Yuk, the vets didn't pick it up and we lost.

Another bad sign is this, read the first 3 graphs

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) — Kansas City manager Buddy Bell knew it had been a long time since the Royals back from a deficit entering the ninth inning.

“I knew it was over 100 games,” Bell said. “We’d get close, but not over the hum

The Royals rallied with three runs in the ninth to defeat the Chicago White Sox 10-9 Wednesday night, snapping a franchise-record 102-game losing streak in which they trailed after eight innings. The last time they won with a deficit entering the ninth was Aug. 31, 2004, against Detroit.

“It is nice to break that streak,” said Mark Teahen, who scored the winning run. “I’m definitely enjoying it.”

Angel Berroa’s double drove in the tying run, and Jermaine Dye’s fielding error allowed Teahen to score the winner. Chicago lost for just the fourth time in 17 games against Kansas City this season, and had its AL Central lead cut to five games over the Cleveland Indians — the smallest lead for the White Sox since before play on June 16.

“The grass is a little wet,” Dye said of his error. “I was trying to cut the ball off and give us a chance to hold the runners.”

White Sox closer Dustin Hermanson (1-4) blew his fourth save in 38 chances.

“I made some mistakes and paid for it,” he said.

Hermanson, who has been bothered by a sore lower back, did not pitch on Tuesday as manager Ozzie Guillen opted to leave Bobby Jenks in for a two-inning save.

“Obviously, every time we have a lead in the ninth inning I want to be in there,” Hermanson said. “I think they are trying to help me, not overuse me. I think they’re doing the right thing, trying to take care of me, trying to protect me.”

White Sox starter Freddy Garcia gave up seven earned runs and nine hits in 5 1-3 innings.

“When you score nine runs, you should have a win,” Guillen said. “We pitched poorly. Freddy pitched really, really poorly. We have to look ourselves in the mirror and pitch better.”

Matt Stairs started the rally with a one-out single. Emil Brown and Teahen followed with consecutive singles to score pinch-runner Chip Ambres. Berroa then doubled to right to bring in Brown with the tying run, and Teahen scored when Dye had trouble picking up the ball.

“My job is to keep running until he (third base coach Luis Silverio) stops me,” Teahen said. “I don’t know what happened with the ball in right field.”

Said Stairs: “Finally, we took advantage of the other’s teams mistake instead of them taking advantage of our mistakes. That’s probably our nicest win of the year. Hermanson has done especially well closing games. To sneak in there and take a game with some clutch hits is nice.”

Chris Demaria (1-0) pitched a scoreless ninth to pick up his first career victory.

The Royals jumped out to a 3-0 lead in the first on Mike Sweeney’s two-run homer and Teahen’s RBI single.

The White Sox took the lead with a six-run third. Tadahito Iguchi hit a three-run homer, Dye had a sacrifice fly and Juan Uribe added a two-run shot. Uribe is hitting a major league-best .465 in September, with six home runs, 13 RBIs and 12 runs scored.

Kansas City closed the gap to 6-4 in the bottom of the inning. Terrence Long led off with a single, advanced to third on Stairs’ single and scored on Freddy Garcia’s wild pitch.

Carl Everett had an RBI single in the fourth and Joe Crede hit a two-run homer in the fifth to stretch Chicago’s lead to 9-4, but Garcia let the Royals back in the game.

“I’m just really disappointed on how I pitched,” Garcia said. “I should pitch better. It was a terrible start.”

Stairs had a sacrifice fly in the fifth, and the Royals scored two more runs in the seventh. Berroa led off with a triple and scored when left fielder Podsednik had trouble picking it up. Andres Blanco tripled with one out and scored on Aaron Guiel’s sacrifice fly.

Rookie left-hander J.P. Howell, who held Chicago to two hits and two runs over six innings in a victory last Thursday, allowed six runs on seven hits in just three innings.

Notes: Sweeney has 35 doubles, the most by a Royals player since Carlos Beltran hit 44 in 2002. Sweeney hit his 20th home run, the sixth time in his career to reach that mark. ... Iguchi’s 62 RBIs, 42 extra-base hits and 29 multi-hit games rank second among AL rookies. He leads AL rookies with 200 total bases.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Sep 14, 2005 -> 11:03 PM)
Were Dye, Hermanson, and Garcia at this meeting?

Well Garcia and the rest of the pitching vets told Ozzie last week that they are definately not tired so there is no reason to go to the 6 man rotation.

El Duque tells him he is ok and he thought he pitched well on Sunday.

What next Timo tells him that he is really a 300 hitter?

Ozzie listens to his players a bit too much. There is a reason we hired him, and that was to manage. He should make decisions that is best for the team. Not take f***ing polls and have democratic secret ballots.

Jenks gives us the best option at the end of games. McCarthy gives us the best option in the rotation. Its called playing the hot hand. Its what most teams do.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Sep 15, 2005 -> 12:09 AM)
Jenks gives us the best option at the end of games.  McCarthy gives us the best option in the rotation.  Its called playing the hot hand.  Its what most teams do.

I wish that was done more when it comes to closing out games. If we have jenks out there in the 8th inning and he dominates why not put him back in to start the ninth? Especially considering hermanson's back is apparently garbage. There are three options i can see closing for us other than hermanson if needed imo. My rank of trust when closing a game goes... cotts, jenks, politte. Now i am not saying to do so every day... but ride the f***ing hot hand!

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Sep 14, 2005 -> 11:09 PM)
Jenks gives us the best option at the end of games.  McCarthy gives us the best option in the rotation.  Its called playing the hot hand.  Its what most teams do.

Speaking of those two, I find it odd Guillen only included veterans in this closed door meeting. Aren't Jenks, McCarthy important parts of this club? Article cites 14 were included, which leaves 11 who were obviously thought of by Guillen as not worthy of a pep talk.

Just go through the roster and list the obvious veterans:

Hernandez

Garcia

Buehlre

Garland

Contreras

Hermanson

Politte

Dye

Konerko

Everett

Pierzynski

Widger

Perez (of course)

I'm not sure which remaining player Guillen would label as a veteran, but it's obvious he excluded numerous key players. Just include everyone on the team, yes--even Borchard, and give them the same speech to step it up. May not do anything, but relay onto everyone your expectations down the stretch.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

I think Ozzie has hung out a bit too much with Dusty Baker.

Dusty is overly reliant on his vets. Not matter how much they suck.

Dusty has a special vet that he thinks is a super player(Holly). The only way he doesnt play is that the GM trades him.

Dusty makes comments about the guys who got him here.

Its like the f***ing twighlight zone.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Sep 15, 2005 -> 12:22 AM)
Speaking of those two, I find it odd Guillen only included veterans in this closed door meeting. Aren't Jenks, McCarthy important parts of this club? Article cites 14 were included, which leaves 11 who were obviously thought of by Guillen as not worthy of a pep talk.

Hernandez

Garcia

Buehlre

Garland

Contreras

Hermanson

Politte

Dye

Konerko

Everett

Pierzynski

Widger

Perez (of course)

I'm not sure which remaining player Guillen would label as a veteran, but it's obvious he excluded numerous key players. Just include everyone on the team, yes--even Borchard, and give them the same speech to step it up. May not do anything, but relay onto everyone your expectations down the stretch.

Widger had his Grandmother's funeral to attend to. Hawk said he was late to the game today because of it. I doubt he was included.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Sep 15, 2005 -> 05:22 AM)

Hernandez

Garcia

Buehlre

Garland

Contreras

Hermanson

Politte

Dye

Konerko

Everett

Pierzynski

Widger

Perez (of course)

Isn't Ol' Willie a vet yet? :huh