Blessing in disguise??

Controlled Chaos

Losing a few games here can be a blessing in disguise. For us fans...NO...we want it done and over with....But for the players....well a little extra competition can't hurt. If this goes down to the wire, the battle with Cleveland will be very similar to a playoff series. I prefer that for the players, over clinching and taking it easy for the last 10 games. I want the team fired up and playing games knowing they are all must win. I want that 'Win or Die Trying' not to just be some marketing ploy, but an attitude for the Sox to emulate. Mentally that is where they need to be. Every game will count here towards the end...and I think it's good for them. I'm not worried about them being well rested for the playoffs. Adrenaline will pull these guys through. I'm worried about the mind set it takes for a team to win it all. If they can get in that mindset before the playoffs instead of trying to turn it on right after they start...it can be a huge advantage.

Teams that are there every year know how to turn it up a notch....Yankees, Braves etc...Teams like the Sox need the competition. I think that's why wild card teams have been pretty successful. Bottom line...yeah this is stressful for us, but it could be worth it in the end.

I understand your point, and the only thing that prevents me from agreeing is my lack of confidence in this team's ability to "turn it on". They have looked less-than-great since the All-Star break. YES, they've had some winning streaks since then, but on whole they haven't looked like a sure-fire playoff team.

As an aside, do you know who is the best team in the AL since April 22nd?

The Cleveland Indians. YES, I know the Sox still hold the AL's best W-L record, but the momentum is squarely in Cleveland's favor.

And please spare me the "if I'd have told you in March...." rhetoric, unless you'd also have told me in March that the 5-game lead on September 15th was a 15-game lead in August, AND you also told me in March that the Sox would have the worst August batting average in all of MLB, AND you also told me in March that their closer has a bad back, AND you also told me in March that their late-inning lefty reliever would have a meltdown, etc etc etc. If you're not going to tell me the whole story, don't tell me only the parts you like.

The feeling I get is that the Indians might run out of time. But I'm less than excited about the Sox' postseason chances. Call me a "dark cloud", or "not a fan", or whatever else you want to call me, but what I see hasn't been all that impressive for quite some time. I WANT them to turn it around, I'd LOVE to be all wrong about the way I'm feeling, but I can only go by what I've seen lately.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Sep 15, 2005 -> 08:53 AM)
I understand your point, and the only thing that prevents me from agreeing is my lack of confidence in this team's ability to "turn it on". They have looked less-than-great since the All-Star break. YES, they've had some winning streaks since then, but on whole they haven't looked like a sure-fire playoff team.

As an aside, do you know who is the best team in the AL since April 22nd?

The Cleveland Indians. YES, I know the Sox still hold the AL's best W-L record, but the momentum is squarely in Cleveland's favor.

And please spare me the "if I'd have told you in March...." rhetoric, unless you'd also have told me in March that the 5-game lead on September 15th was a 15-game lead in August, AND you also told me in March that the Sox would have the worst August batting average in all of MLB, AND you also told me in March that their closer has a bad back, AND you also told me in March that their late-inning lefty reliever would have a meltdown, etc etc etc. If you're not going to tell me the whole story, don't tell me only the parts you like.

The feeling I get is that the Indians might run out of time. But I'm less than excited about the Sox' postseason chances. Call me a "dark cloud", or "not a fan", or whatever else you want to call me, but what I see hasn't been all that impressive for quite some time. I WANT them to turn it around, I'd LOVE to be all wrong about the way I'm feeling, but I can only go by what I've seen lately.

I'm not calling you a 'dark cloud' or 'not a fan' and I'm not talking about anything from March. I'm talking about battling at the end of the season to get prepared for the playoffs and how it can benefit the Sox.

If the Sox take 4 or 5 from the best team in the AL since April 22nd....then that will be a huge lift mentally. That's my point. The fact that it is this close now...makes them mentally prepared. Do you really believe the Sox can't beat Cleveland?? Do you think Cleveland is that superior to the Sox? I believe the Sox can beat Cleveland and I believe they will. Then the momentum will be with us....right when we need it to be. Not in July....Not in August, but in October!! Who gives a s*** about the 15 game lead...you don't get points for winning the division by a sizeable margin.

Will your confidence rise if they take the series with Cleveland? If they stop a team that has been the best in baseball since the allstar break, will you then be excited about their postseason chances? I hope so, cause it's gonna be a helluva ride and I'd hate for any Sox fan to miss it cause they were worried about how we played in August. f*** August...it's over. Screw the 15 game lead...it's gone. We have a battle in front of us. I don't know about you, but I never though it was gonna be easy anyway. Lets win this f***in battle now and take the momentum right to the world series!! :gosox1:

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Sep 15, 2005 -> 09:05 AM)
I'm not calling you a 'dark cloud' or 'not a fan' and I'm not talking about anything  from March.  I'm talking about battling at the end of the season to get prepared for the playoffs and how it can benefit the Sox.

If the Sox take 4 or 5 from the best team in the AL since April 22nd....then that will be a huge lift mentally.  That's my point.  The fact that it is this close now...makes them mentally prepared.  Do you really believe the Sox can't beat Cleveland??  Do you think Cleveland is that superior to the Sox?  I believe the Sox can beat Cleveland and I believe they will.  Then the momentum will be with us....right when we need it to be.  Not in July....Not in August, but in October!!  Who gives a s*** about the 15 game lead...you don't get points for winning the division by a sizeable margin. 

Will your confidence rise if they take the series with Cleveland?  If they stop a team that has been the best in baseball since the allstar break, will you then be excited about their postseason chances?  I hope so, cause it's gonna be a helluva ride and I'd hate for any Sox fan to miss it cause they were worried about how we played in August.  f*** August...it's over.  Screw the 15 game lead...it's gone.  We have a battle in front of us.  I don't know about you, but I never though it was gonna be easy anyway.  Lets win this f***in battle now and take the momentum right to the world series!! :gosox1:

Actually when we had a 15 game lead, I thought it was going to be easy. I never thought that they would give this up like this. I think our offense has been terrible this year, but I never thought that the pitching would falter or the defense to lose so many games off the lead. I never thought that these games with the Indians would mean anything. I thought we would be within a game or so of clinching at this point.

Then I opened up my eyes and looked as they s*** the bed.....

I agree with Chaos. If the Sox can go and win both series against Cleveland, that will give them a HUGE lift going into the playoffs. I also think this is a team that is built for cooler weather.

Running, bunting, sacrificing, etc. That's more how you score runs in the playoffs than in the regular season. See Marlins, Florida. D-backs, Arizona. Walk-offs are great, but most games are won on singles and sacrifices.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Sep 15, 2005 -> 10:12 AM)
I agree with Chaos.  If the Sox can go and win both series against Cleveland, that will give them a HUGE lift going into the playoffs.  I also think this is a team that is built for cooler weather. 

Running, bunting, sacrificing, etc.  That's more how you score runs in the playoffs than in the regular season.  See Marlins, Florida.  D-backs, Arizona.  Walk-offs are great, but most games are won on singles and sacrifices.

Those teams were able to execute those plays, consistantly. Since Pods hit the DL, they haven't been able to effectively make use of the small ball and the pitching has hit an extended rough spot. They have to straighten this out, or we'll be toast.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Sep 15, 2005 -> 09:12 AM)
Running, bunting, sacrificing, etc.  That's more how you score runs in the playoffs than in the regular season.  See Marlins, Florida.  D-backs, Arizona.  Walk-offs are great, but most games are won on singles and sacrifices.

They all won because of strong pitching, something we aren't getting right now...

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Sep 15, 2005 -> 09:12 AM)
I agree with Chaos.  If the Sox can go and win both series against Cleveland, that will give them a HUGE lift going into the playoffs.  I also think this is a team that is built for cooler weather. 

The Marlins and the Dbacks won with shutdown pitching. Guys who could strike out guys and could miss a lot of bats. Buerhle and Garland dont fit in that mold.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Sep 15, 2005 -> 09:18 AM)
The Marlins and the Dbacks won with shutdown pitching.  Guys who could strike out guys and could miss a lot of bats.  Buerhle and Garland dont fit in that mold.

And we've recently seen, relying on this defense will bite you in your ass...

Do you really believe the Sox can't beat Cleveland?? Do you think Cleveland is that superior to the Sox?

I don't have confidence in the Sox consistently beating any good team right now, simply because they haven't done so in a long time. Cleveland is offensively superior to the Sox, but overall I think they're about even.

Will your confidence rise if they take the series with Cleveland?

Slightly, but only the confidence that the Sox can hold them off for the Central.

If they stop a team that has been the best in baseball since the allstar break, will you then be excited about their postseason chances?

Not really, because I need to see more than that at this point. They haven't beaten enough quality teams consistently enough to warrant much postseason optimism.

This is not a new feeling. There's been a "smoke and mirrors" feeling in my mind about them since that Oakland debacle at the Cell. I'll always cheer for them, but to say I'm optimistic about their chances would be a lie right now.

Edited by The Critic

A small blessing that I saw, was, that in a way, Cleveland helped us a little bit by putting Oakland a little farther back.I believe that when we're on, we can beat anybody, but it seems like even when we're on, something wierd always happen to us when we play Oakland. Our chances? If we're hot, I will feel confident no matter who we play in post season except Oakland. Even if we get hot, Oakland seems to have the upper edge that still weighs on us mentally. We Don't Need That Team In Post Seaon! Thanks Cleveland!!........ Thanks for helping us!! The fun for you is now officially OVER! STARTING TODAY....... IT"S TIME FOR YOU TO TAKE )

(

)

(

)

(

)

(

)

(

)

(

"DIVE!!!!!!!!"

QUOTE(Rooftop Shots @ Sep 15, 2005 -> 09:21 AM)
A small blessing that I saw, was, that in a way, Cleveland helped us a little bit by putting Oakland a little farther back.I believe that when we're on, we can beat anybody, but it seems like even when we're on, something wierd always happen to us when we play Oakland. Our chances? If we're hot, I will feel confident no matter who we play in post season except Oakland. Even if we get hot, Oakland seems to have the upper edge that still weighs on us mentally. We Don't Need That Team In Post Seaon! Thanks Cleveland!!........ Thanks for helping us!! The fun for you is now officially OVER! STARTING TODAY....... IT"S TIME FOR YOU TO TAKE    )

(

)

(

)

(

)

(

)

(

)

(

"DIVE!!!!!!!!"   

Oakland has better pitching than the Angels. But I would rather face Oakland. They cant hit, and the Angels can. The angels are probably the most dangerous team in the playoffs because of the sheer amount of ways they can beat you.

I would rather face Boston/NY/Indians/Oakland before I would face the Angels.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Sep 15, 2005 -> 10:25 AM)
Oakland has better pitching than the Angels.  But I would rather face Oakland.  They cant hit, and the Angels can.  The angels are probably the most dangerous team in the playoffs because of the sheer amount of ways they can beat you. 

It's kind of ironic that the Angels are the team that Sox are most often compared to.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Sep 15, 2005 -> 09:25 AM)
Oakland has better pitching than the Angels.  But I would rather face Oakland.  They cant hit, and the Angels can.  The angels are probably the most dangerous team in the playoffs because of the sheer amount of ways they can beat you. 

No question! The Angels scare the daylights out of me too! The only thing that I was kind of referring to is that we don't have that mental stigmatism in our heads with any other team but Oakland. We'll go into the Angels series having to play our absolutely toughest and non-mistake baseball. With Oakland, my concern is that everybody will have in their heads........"What's going to happen this time!!!"

When the mental edge is lost, usually the physical follows.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Sep 15, 2005 -> 10:28 AM)
The Angels hit better than us.  They do the things we are supposed to do.  Colon is also a shutdown type pitcher.

Someone posted something yesterday ... a column on the Angels ... The angst regarding the Angles lack of clutch hitting and the pitching questions could have been written ver batim about the Sox.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Sep 16, 2005 -> 01:09 AM)
Actually when we had a 15 game lead, I thought it was going to be easy.  I never thought that they would give this up like this.  I think our offense has been terrible this year, but I never thought that the pitching would falter or the defense to lose so many games off the lead.  I never thought that these games with the Indians would mean anything.  I thought we would be within a game or so of clinching at this point. 

Then I opened up my eyes and looked as they s*** the bed.....

So you thought the pitching was going to continue the way it was, even though the ERA's for Buerhle, Garland and Garcia were above the norm, and then of course the likes of Hermy, Politte and Marte in the pen?

QUOTE(YASNY @ Sep 16, 2005 -> 01:30 AM)
Someone posted something yesterday ... a column on the Angels ... The angst regarding the Angles lack of clutch hitting and the pitching questions could have been written ver batim about the Sox.

Yep besides Vlad Guerrero, Garret Anderson and Casey Kotchman, Anaheim's offense ain't good at all, and Jason would tell you that.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Sep 16, 2005 -> 01:18 AM)
The Marlins and the Dbacks won with shutdown pitching.  Guys who could strike out guys and could miss a lot of bats.  Buerhle and Garland dont fit in that mold.

But striking out batters isn't the end all to be all to be a succesful pitcher as well.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Sep 15, 2005 -> 10:33 AM)
Yep besides Vlad Guerrero, Garret Anderson and Casey Kotchman, Anaheim's offense ain't good at all, and Jason would tell you that.

Vlad single handedly carried the Angels to the playoffs last year...

They are waaaaayyyy better then good.

Jason will tell you that.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Sep 15, 2005 -> 09:32 AM)
So you thought the pitching was going to continue the way it was, even though the ERA's for Buerhle, Garland and Garcia were above the norm, and then of course the likes of Hermy, Politte and Marte in the pen?

Did I think that the sox would shut down teams with their pitching, NO. Hence why I kept harping on our offense needs to pick it up. There were plenty of people discounting our playoff competition because their pitching didnt match up. They were counting on our guys just shutting the opposition down. Now the better question is did I think that our big 3 would start to give up more than 5 runs a game, or better yet give up 7 or more runs to the royals, NO. Hermy I thought would have problems because of his back, he relies on a sinker and breaking pitches and with his back he doesnt follow through all the way and leaves the ball up. Thats a bad formula.

Buerhle, Garland, Garcia should be able to keep our playoff competition to 4 or less runs. They should be able to shut down teams like the Royals and Twins.

QUOTE(Steff @ Sep 16, 2005 -> 01:35 AM)
Vlad single handedly carried the Angels to the playoffs last year...

They are waaaaayyyy better then good.

Jason will tell you that.

So you can just take him out the game and walk him.

Just saying the likes of Steve Finley (who's been awful this year), Darrin Erstad and our good friend Orlando Cabrera don't really strike fear into pitchers this season.

Not to mention, they've pitched above themselves as well.

The point of my post is that yeah we need to work on some things, but it's good to have this challenge in front of us. Cause if they face this challenge head on and overcome it, they will be in a good postion to roll.

Now yes I understand to overcome it, our starting pitching has to get back to where they were and our defense has to pick it up. But these are not unreasonable expectations. It's not like I'm expecting them to do something that have never done...They can do it and they need to do it.

I don't believe we need a strikeout starting pitcher. With a guy on first and one out..I'd much rather have a ground ball pitcher on the mound then a pitcher that feels he needs to blow guys away to get out of the jam.