Widger and wins...

Kid Gleason

I've been wondering this one for awhile now. How many games have we lost with Widger behind the plate? It has just been seeming like our pitching has never been as good when he was at the plate. Just speculation here, but does anybody have the numbers? I don't know how to get them...sorry...not that good at that type of stuff.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Sep 16, 2005 -> 01:40 AM)
I've been wondering this one for awhile now. How many games have we lost with Widger behind the plate? It has just been seeming like our pitching has never been as good when he was at the plate. Just speculation here, but does anybody have the numbers? I don't know how to get them...sorry...not that good at that type of stuff.

I know Contreras really struggled in the games where Widge was behind the plate. But don't discount the role Widge has done as our backup, when you consider the alternative in Ben Davis.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Sep 15, 2005 -> 09:29 AM)
I'm not trying to discredit the guy, I just get a bit of an uneasy feeling when he is behind the plate. But I put that more as a credit to AJ than as a full discredit to Widger. I think AJ just makes out guys that much better.

I agree with you that AJ just does a number on our pitching staff, and he's not too shabby with the bat either...which is why Widger is in fact so important.

When you can give your catcher an off day every 3 or 4 games because your backup catcher is not a gigantic downgrade (Ben Davis), that keeps your starting catcher a lot healthier. Considering how much of a pounding a catcher's body can take during a year, just keeping AJ healthy has been a great contribution from the Widge.

Plus, he beat Zito earlier this year ;)

QUOTE(maggliopipe @ Sep 15, 2005 -> 09:45 AM)
not sure what the sox record is with the different catchers, but on the kc broadcast last night they said the sox have a 3.15 ERA with the widge behind the plate.  the team ERA stands around 3.60, so that says something good about him with a small sample size.

This is more than anything else likely an artifact of the fact that Widger has caught Buehrle probably more than anyone else on this staff.

QUOTE(AirScott @ Sep 15, 2005 -> 11:50 AM)
well his CERA is 3.33 this year, but he has allowed 22 of 24 to successfully steal a base.  I'll look a little more for the team's record with him behind the plate.

Niether Aj or WIdger are very good at throwing runners out.. I don't remember Davis but if you watch our games they steal a lot of bases and Ajs and Widgers percentage is not very good. Olivo could throw out runners but had troubl;e with the bat and calling a game.

QUOTE(forrestg @ Sep 15, 2005 -> 12:47 PM)
Niether Aj or WIdger are very good at throwing runners out.. I don't remember Davis  but if you watch our games they steal a lot of bases and Ajs and Widgers percentage is not very good.  Olivo could throw out runners but had troubl;e with the bat and calling a game.

Most of the bases that are stolen when AJ and Chris are behind the plate are stolen on the pitcher and not on the catcher. My grandmother could steal off Contreras not to mention Hernandez and Garcia do s*** to keep the runner on.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Sep 15, 2005 -> 10:56 AM)
From what I've found we're 21-13 when Widger starts behind the plate. Not too shabby.

Again, when you're catching Mark Buehrle a lot, and Jon Garland a lot, this is to be expected. It's not necessarily a function of the catcher. That's why these stats are hard to interpret - the sample size is so small, that another variable, like catching our 2 best pitchers more often than others, could be biasing the sample.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 15, 2005 -> 01:07 PM)
Again, when you're catching Mark Buehrle a lot, and Jon Garland a lot, this is to be expected.  It's not necessarily a function of the catcher.  That's why these stats are hard to interpret - the sample size is so small, that another variable, like catching our 2 best pitchers more often than others, could be biasing the sample.

I was just answering the original question of the thread, which had not been answered yet.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Sep 15, 2005 -> 12:56 PM)
From what I've found we're 21-13 when Widger starts behind the plate. Not too shabby.

I think i mirror most people's feelings when I say that I have more confidence in AJ than Widge, but the numbers don't like. If we are 21-13 with him behind the plate, I'm not complaining.

like=lie

Edited by bighurt2719