Odd play in the Red Sox game

southsider2k5

8. A strange play in Wednesday night's Red Sox-Blue Jays game highlighted an obscure and, to our thinking, bizarre rule. With Boston's Gabe Kapler on first and one man out in the fifth inning, Tony Graffanino homered over the left field wall. Kapler, who was busting hard in case the ball didn't clear the wall, collapsed after rounding second with a ruptured left Achilles' tendon. After five minutes on the turf, Kapler was carted off the field. Pinch runner Alejandro Machado was allowed to replace Kapler at second base and trot home in front of Graffanino. According to the story on mlb.com, baseball's rule book includes this provision: "If an accident to a runner is such as to prevent him from proceeding to a base to which he is entitled, as on a home run hit out of the playing field, or an award of one or more bases, a substitute runner shall be permitted to complete the play." That just seems odd. When two outfielders collide and fall to the ground injured, for instance, the defense can't call timeout. A freak injury that occurs during a live play should be accepted as part of the game, albeit an unusual and unlucky part. I'd allow Kapler to be replaced, but Machado would have to stay on second.

That seems like a fair rule. It's not the same as an outfield play when the ball is in play. This is a "dead ball" situation.

Interesting, I wonder if someone needed to look that one up. It is amazing what the umpires need to know.

QUOTE(KansasSoxFan @ Sep 16, 2005 -> 10:20 AM)
The rule makes sense to me.  I can't imagine any team giving up a "free" run that they've already earned.  Without the rule, I bet Kapler would've crawled home.  That would just be pathetic.

He tried to get up and walk it, but the trainers wouldn't let him do it.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Sep 15, 2005 -> 11:07 AM)
That seems like a fair rule. It's not the same as an outfield play when the ball is in play. This is a "dead ball" situation.

Interesting, I wonder if someone needed to look that one up. It is amazing what the umpires need to know.

Exactly. The write makes an analogy that is not even close to being the same situation.