Help a fellow SoxTalker...

greasywheels121

Okay...I'm taking public speaking this semester, and our next speech is a ceremonial speech. The speech can be an induction of someone into a hall of fame, a speech of presentation, of acceptance, eulogy, or building dedication.

I'm doing the inducting of someone into a hall of fame. I'm obviously doing Frank Thomas, and a speech on his induction into the National Baseball HOF. We have a pre-writing, where we make a list of cultural values we can describe our person with.

I've got a decent list, but can you guys think of any additional ones?

Please only contribute to the thread if you got something worthwhile to add.

Thanks.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 15, 2005 -> 02:44 PM)
You have to be able to say something about steroids and his non-use:

Honorable

Dignified

Trustworthy.

It's definitely going to be one of the main points of my speech, his outspokenness against steroids and his joining of the congressional task force against steroids.

Thanks Balta and Steff. :cheers

I realize that you asked for posts that helped, and I'm not trying to be a dick, but there must be a better choice that Frank. How about choosing someone like Jim Brown. Someone who has actually given his time and voice to raise awareness about social problems.

Frank's the same guy who claimed that he didn't know much about Jackie Robinson when MLB retired his number. That is an egregious error for any black player. Unbelievable.

Frank used non-union labor to work on his house while MLB & the Player's Association were at odds.

Frank was not a great husband, and I'm not sure how anyone here knows him well enough to know if he's a great father.

I'm all for being a Sox fan, but I get tired of people looking at our guys with blinders on.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Sep 15, 2005 -> 02:19 PM)
Okay...I'm taking public speaking this semester, and our next speech is a ceremonial speech.  The speech can be an induction of someone into a hall of fame, a speech of presentation, of acceptance, eulogy, or building dedication.

I'm doing the inducting of someone into a hall of fame.  I'm obviously doing Frank Thomas, and a speech on his induction into the National Baseball HOF.  We have a pre-writing, where we make a list of cultural values we can describe our person with. 

I've got a decent list, but can you guys think of any additional ones? 

Please only contribute to the thread if you got something worthwhile to add. 

Thanks.

from the expieriences I have of meeting him : friendliness and attentive are 2 words I think of.

Edited by rangercal

QUOTE(Steff @ Sep 15, 2005 -> 03:06 PM)
What part of "Please only contribute to the thread if you got something worthwhile to add." did you not understand?

:cheers

I'll gladly do my speech on Jim Brown... if you wrote it. It's rare that I get to do a paper or a speech on a subject I actually enjoy, I'm not going to waste the opportunity and make the assignment harder than it is.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Sep 15, 2005 -> 01:10 PM)
:cheers

I'll gladly do my speech on Jim Brown... if you wrote it.  It's rare that I get to do a paper or a speech on a subject I actually enjoy, I'm not going to waste the opportunity and make the assignment harder than it is.

When you finish writing the speech, please post it on Soxtalk. I'd love to see how it turns out. Seriously.

I pointed out some negatives about Frank, but if you are giving a speech it's important to understand the subject fully. If someone asks you a question after the speech about the things I mentioned, how would you answer?

I think if you make Frank the subject of your speech, and the premise is that it's a HOF induction, you can certainly present statistics that will make him a worthwhile inductee. I personally think he has missed out on an opportunity to be bigger than just a ballplayer. I offered up Jim Brown. I could just as easily have picked Derrick Brooks or Warrick Dunn - two modern players that are extremely active in their communities. Like I said, I am not trying to be a dick, or ruin the thread, I just didn't see much value in taking out a thesaurus and finding all the words that are synonyms with great.

Good Luck :cheers

Frank was not a great husband, and I'm not sure how anyone here knows him well enough to know if he's a great father.....

....I pointed out some negatives about Frank, but if you are giving a speech it's important to understand the subject fully. If someone asks you a question after the speech about the things I mentioned, how would you answer?

I don't want to get into a fight, but when you allege for some reason that Frank Thomas's domestic life somehow is wanting in comparison to that of Jim Brown, I've just got to put in my two cents worth.

Jim Brown was an amazing running back, and is undoubtedly a fascinating and complex personality. I believe he has done a lot of good works with various communities. But his, umm, family life left a little to be desired. Here's a sanitized and abreviated version of some of his exploits.

But for all of Brown's good deeds and athletic prowess, there has been a dark side to him, too. He was frequently accused of violent crimes, primarily toward women, and though he was not found guilty, they have hurt his image.

An 18-year-old accused Brown of forcing her to have sex after giving her whisky, but a jury found him innocent of assault and battery in the 10-day trial in 1965. He was accused of throwing a model from a balcony in 1968, but when the 22-year-old woman refused to name Brown as her assailant, the charge of assault with intent to murder was dropped.

He was acquitted of assaulting a man after a traffic accident in 1969. He was fined $500 and spent a day in jail after beating up a golfing partner. He was charged with rape, sexual battery and assault in 1985, but the charges were dropped when the 33-year-old woman gave inconsistent testimony. The next year he was arrested for allegedly beating his fiancée after accusing her of flirting. He spent three hours in jail, but three days later the 21-year-old woman said she didn't want to prosecute.

In 1999, Brown [63 years old] was convicted in Los Angeles of smashing the window of his 25-year-old wife Monique's car, but was acquitted of making terrorist threats against her. The judge sentenced him to three years' probation, stripped him of his driver's license for a year, and ordered him to attend special counseling for domestic batterers.

-By Larry Schwartz

Special to ESPN.com

As you probably know, in that last incident, Brown refused to go to counseling or do community service, and did jail time instead. In an interview on Larry King Live, he said that he only smashed the windows because he loved his wife, and that her PMS was the cause of all their arguments. :rolly

QUOTE(Mercy! @ Sep 15, 2005 -> 09:59 PM)
I don't want to get into a fight, but when you allege for some reason that Frank Thomas's domestic life somehow is wanting in comparison to that of Jim Brown, I've just got to put in my two cents worth.

Jim Brown was an amazing running back, and is undoubtedly a fascinating and complex personality.  I believe he has done a lot of good works with various communities.  But his, umm, family life left a little to be desired.

That is good stuff. Sorry if we're hi-jacking this thread, but that's one of the charms of Soxtalk. :P

I actually was the first person to post on this thread, then deleted it because I didn't feel it was necessary to bash Frank. Then I saw all the adjectives describing him as an all around great guy, and I kind of thought that wasn't painting a totally accurate picture of him either.

I wasn't really trying to make a comparison of Brown/Frank domestically (though it certainly seems that way). I was making more of a comparison of their off the field contributions to society, and I definitely picked a bad example. I knew Brown had domestic troubles, and I was just offering him up as a person who was a social activist (not necessarily saying that he should be the subject of the speech). That's why I later added Brooks and Dunn (not that Brooks and Dunn :snr ). I mean, you could say Roberto Clemente. Latin players to this day look up to him, and he died in 1972. He's the reason so many latin players wear #21. Truthfully, though, I don't know the off the field personal lives of those guys.

Here's alink to the 1999 Baseball HOF inductions. Unlike football, where the player picks who will introduce him to the crowd, it looks like baseball has the commisioner do the deed. Bud Selig presents the player's stats, and says very little about the person. Here's the link. Hope it helps. http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/hof_weekend/1999/speeches/