Garcia may skip a start...

bjm676

Maybe this is why El Duque is going this Saturday instead of McCarthy, they may have felt they'd want Garcia to skip a turn.

Wow, is it possible there are things going on behind the scenes that this board isn't privy to???????

QUOTE(JimH @ Sep 16, 2005 -> 12:49 AM)
Maybe this is why El Duque is going this Saturday instead of McCarthy, they may have felt they'd want Garcia to skip a turn.

Wow, is it possible there are things going on behind the scenes that this board isn't privy to???????

I understand your point, but if they knew at the time that they'd have to use McCarthy on Monday, then why did we go so long with Garcia last night?

I understand your point, but if they knew at the time that they'd have to use McCarthy on Monday, then why did we go so long with Garcia last night?

It's a fair question. No one on this board can answer it.

One thing I do know, Guillen has a real hard on for guys who try to hide injuries, see: Damaso Marte, Dustin Hermanson, Joe Crede.

He absolutely insists that his players tell him the truth re: how they're feeling. They are talking to those starting pitchers all the time, especially Guillen and Freddy.

Again, none of us know but I suspect Freddy told Guillen he felt fine, had gas left in the tank, I can get these next three guys, etc.

This info sounds like it was confirmed after yesterday's start, but these pitchers feel good one day and bad the next. It's not illogical to think they knew it was a possibility Garcia would need to miss a start. That's why some of these meetings between Guillen, KW, and Cooper take three hours, there is a lot of stuff to go over, and contingency plans to set up.

It may be oversimpifying things but the bullpen blew last nite's game and arguably today's game too. No one is doing as well as they should. Guillen brings in Jenks, everybody on this board practically is saying "bring in Jenks, bring in Jenks" and he screws up today too. Who's calling for Jenks to throw sliders? Widger? Cooper? Guillen? That didn't make sense either. To my knowledge the catchers call the game.

He trusts his players and sometimes that bites a manager in the ass. If he didn't trust his players, that bites the manager in the ass too ... more often.

QUOTE(JimH @ Sep 16, 2005 -> 01:03 AM)
It may be oversimpifying things but the bullpen blew last nite's game and arguably today's game too.  No one is doing as well as they should.  Guillen brings in Jenks, everybody on this board practically is saying "bring in Jenks, bring in Jenks" and he screws up today too.  Who's calling for Jenks to throw sliders?  Widger?  Cooper?  Guillen?  That didn't make sense either.  To my knowledge  the catchers call the game.

Well said. Besides Contreras lately, there's no one on the team that can really say they can look in the mirror and not feel responsible for the team faltering. Who in the world would have ever imagined we would say that about Jose? Kudos really go out to Contreras, Cotts, Jenks, and Politte for well above expectation seasons.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 15, 2005 -> 06:05 PM)
The top 5 in "Innings pitched by the starting pitchers"

1.  St. Louis

2.  Sox

3.  Minnesota

4.  Houston

5.  LA Angels.

The bottom 5 in "Innings pitched by the relief pitchers, whoever they are":

1.  St. Louis

2.  Sox

3.  NY Mets

4.  Houston

5.  Boston

Considering the Sox have only used 6 starters this season, the starting pitchers innings is staggering.