Mark Buerhle's an Ace ????

spiderman

Has the 2nd half of the season finally nailed home the point that Mark Burehle is NOT an ace pitcher ?

Yes, he is probably still our best pitcher, and, like I have said previously, he is a good pitcher, but an ace he is not.

This White Sox team was known for it's deep starting pitching and quality starts. It is also becoming known in the 2nd half as a staff, outside of, surprisingly Jose Contreras, as one that has not gotten the job done. Period.

Brandon McCarthy has been as dependable or better in his last 3 outings than Garcia, Buerhle, and Garland and Guillen doens't want to use him....

I don't know about you guys, but I'm more than nervous at this point.

The White Sox are choking away their great season.....

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(spiderman @ Sep 15, 2005 -> 03:39 PM)
Has the 2nd half of the season finally nailed home the point that Mark Burehle is NOT an ace pitcher ?

Yes, he is probably still our best pitcher, and, like I have said previously, he is a good pitcher, but an ace he is not.

This White Sox team was known for it's deep starting pitching and quality starts. It is also becoming known in the 2nd half as a staff, outside of, surprisingly Jose Contreras, as one that has not gotten the job done. Period.

Brandon McCarthy has been as dependable or better in his last 3 outings than Garcia, Buerhle, and Garland and Guillen doens't want to use him....

I don't know about you guys, but I'm more than nervous at this point.

The White Sox are choking away their great season.....

Duh....

QUOTE(spiderman @ Sep 15, 2005 -> 04:41 PM)
Well, about 3 weeks ago, I was attacked for saying that Mark Buerhle is not an ace.

Now, I'm stating the obvious ???

White Sox Josh also thinks Aaron Rowand is the second coming of Willie Mays. Do not mistake the rambling of one for the thoughts of an entire community.

I don't have a clue what happened to that pitcher

It seems to me that Mark the stubborn-son-of-a-b**** is not easily reconciled with Mark the great pitcher, and (this is pure guesswork) perhaps he is not listening to Coop and AJ as much as he probably should. I still love Mark though, and hopefully he'll get it figured out.

I just think this guy melts down in the really big games or atleast lately. He cannot be an ace of A staff. I mean he can cause its management's decision but he does not pitch like a ''stopper'' and doesn't have the focus sometimes. He still needs to mature and be able to pitch brilliantly in the games we need him to, like today for example.

Edited by Ozzie Montana

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Sep 15, 2005 -> 11:45 PM)
Things Buehrle is not:

Ace

Stopper

Things that Buehrle is:

A guy who could win in low pressure situations

A guy who feasts on weak teams

Still a nice #3 pitcher on this staff

Mark is a solid #2 and a decent #1. If the definition of 'ace' in baseball terms is a #1 on a team's pitching staff, then Mark is an ace. Rather, if it pertains to a stopper, Mark has proven he is not an ace.

Mark Buehrle has it in him to be more than an ace. He was not just shutting down poor teams early this year, he was shutting everyone down. Cleveland...the team that everyone is so scared of right now...was money in his bank. He beat Baltimore when Baltimore was playing very well. He had 2 good games against the Angels early in the season. He beat that Texas offense.

Saying Mark Buehrle does not pitch well against good teams ignores how good he's done against all of them except Oakland and Boston...those 2 teams are the ones who he has bad numbers against this year, and I'll grant Boston as being in part of his recent struggles.

The guy has to have some mechanical issues right now. Something just isn't clicking. Mark Buehrle is an ace pitcher. He proved that when he started this season 10-0. But he has not yet become a Cy Young pitcher. To do that...he needs to take what he did early this season and run it through the whole year. He just hasn't been able to do it.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 16, 2005 -> 12:14 AM)
Mark Buehrle has it in him to be more than an ace.  He was not just shutting down poor teams early this year, he was shutting everyone down.  Cleveland...the team that everyone is so scared of right now...was money in his bank.  He beat Baltimore when Baltimore was playing very well.  He had 2 good games against the Angels early in the season.  He beat that Texas offense.

Saying Mark Buehrle does not pitch well against good teams ignores how good he's done against all of them except Oakland and Boston...those 2 teams are the ones who he has bad numbers against this year, and I'll grant Boston as being in part of his recent struggles.

The guy has to have some mechanical issues right now.  Something just isn't clicking.  Mark Buehrle is an ace pitcher.  He proved that when he started this season 10-0.  But he has not yet become a Cy Young pitcher.  To do that...he needs to take what he did early this season and run it through the whole year.  He just hasn't been able to do it.

Cleveland's offense was atrocious for much of the first half, as was ANA's. You're right, he did beat BAL and TEX, but as we see now, those aren't exactly playoff caliber teams and, as far as i can recollect, he did not dominate either of those two offenses. Mark's a good pitcher and one of my favorites on the team. I don't mean to sound like I'm ragging on him, I just have never pictured him in the same class as those true aces. This board has hosted this same discussion numerous times, so I'll quit now.

QUOTE(mmmmmbeeer @ Sep 15, 2005 -> 05:56 PM)
Cleveland's offense was atrocious for much of the first half, as was ANA's.  You're right, he did beat BAL and TEX, but as we see now, those aren't exactly playoff caliber teams and, as far as i can recollect, he did not dominate either of those two offenses.  Mark's a good pitcher and one of my favorites on the team.  I don't mean to sound like I'm ragging on him, I just have never pictured him in the same class as those true aces.  This board has hosted this same discussion numerous times, so I'll quit now.

Trouble is, Mark had plenty of chances this 2nd half to completely shut up that talk forever, and because his 2nd half has been so weak, he's totally failed to do so.

QUOTE(mmmmmbeeer @ Sep 15, 2005 -> 05:09 PM)
Mark is a solid #2 and a decent #1.  If the definition of 'ace' in baseball terms is a #1 on a team's pitching staff, then Mark is an ace.  Rather, if it pertains to a stopper, Mark has proven he is not an ace.

Exactly. Buehrle is a very good #2, but not an ACE. If you ask me we really don't have a bonafide ace. Garcia should be the ACE, but for some reason he seems to have alot of problems in the 1st inning. :huh:

After Buehlre's embarrassing outing this afternoon against the lowly Kansas City Royals he should be apologizing to the fans. I don't want to hear him utter ONE comment not featured in the usual collection of baseball cliches.

He's limited to the following quotes: "these guys battled," "take every game one at a time," "I tip my cap," "We haven't won anything yet." Disgrace your team and fail to step up you don't deserve to speak out of term. The entire team looked for Buehlre to heal the wounds of the last week and he didn't.

The entire club has continued to wet itself under the persistent pressure of an advancing Indians club. Let's see if they have the desire to turn around their fortunes in MInnesota..

Edited by Flash Tizzle

Buehrle is not an ace. There are few true "aces" out there. Buehrle is a great #2 pitcher. He would complement a true ace like Santana, Schilling when healthy, Willis, Carpenter, Clemens, Peavy, Smoltz, etc. great, but Buehrle alone is no ace. He's not quite in the upper echelon of starting pitchers. Yes, he had a tremendous first half, but other than that, his performance throughout his career really doesn't warrent "ace" labeling...Aces are franchise pitchers in my opinion. I don't see Buehrle as that.

Edited by sircaffey

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Sep 15, 2005 -> 08:46 PM)
Buehrle is not an ace.  There are few true "aces" out there.  Buehrle is a great #2 pitcher.  He would complement a true ace like Santana, Schilling when healthy, Willis, Carpenter, Clemens, Peavy, Smoltz, etc. great, but Buehrle alone is no ace.  He's not quite in the upper echelon of starting pitchers.  Yes, he had a tremendous first half, but other than that, his performance throughout his career really doesn't warrent "ace" labeling...Aces are franchise pitchers in my opinion.  I don't see Buehrle as that.

:cheers

Excellent Post!

QUOTE(CYGarland @ Sep 15, 2005 -> 09:25 PM)
Exactly. Buehrle is a very good #2, but not an ACE. If you ask me we really don't have a bonafide ace. Garcia should be the ACE, but for some reason he seems to have alot of problems in the 1st inning.  :huh:

Garcia is another #2 starter. As i Said we got 2 #2's 2#3's and a 5