Mark Buerhle's an Ace ????

spiderman

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mark Buehrle is slowing his arm motion on his change up. It has nothing to do with not being an Ace or being tired. When you know what is coming, the odds are much better that you are going to hit it. He needs to go back to the tape he watch of Santana and figure out what he was doing to tip off that pitch.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Sep 16, 2005 -> 08:09 AM)
Mark Buehrle is slowing his arm motion on his change up.  It has nothing to do with not being an Ace or being tired.  When you know what is coming, the odds are much better that you are going to hit it.  He needs to go back to the tape he watch of Santana and figure out what he was doing to tip off that pitch.

You mean to tell me with all the scouts we have, video tape review, and the fact that we have a few coaches and a catcher watching all this, they cannot see this and remedy it. If you are tipping this much it should be easy to see then for our staff.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Sep 16, 2005 -> 09:32 AM)
You mean to tell me with all the scouts we have, video tape review, and the fact that we have a few coaches and a catcher watching all this, they cannot see this and remedy it.  If you are tipping this much it should be easy to see then for our staff.

If DJ can see it, our staff can see it. Fixing a mechanical flaw isn't as easy as posting on a message board, or we would all be ace pitchers.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Sep 17, 2005 -> 12:45 AM)
If DJ can see it, our staff can see it.  Fixing a mechanical flaw isn't as easy as posting on a message board, or we would all be ace pitchers.

It took over 2 years for Neal Cotts to get it right, right (gulp)? :ph34r:

I am just as pissed, frustrated, concerned or whatever you want to call it as anybody but I don't see the point of this thread. I'm not trying to tell people what they should or should not discuss, I just don't see the need to pile on.

It's not just M.B. who has struggled, the entire team has sucked ass for weeks now! Guys bootin' routine grounders, OFs making horrendous errors, balks, wild pitches, base running blunders, terrible throws to the plate etc etc.

If we wanted to we could probably say something 'bout each player on the Sox like so and so isn't a 3 hitter, so and so isn't a run producer, so and so doesn't have a great arm or whatever someone's weakness is but what's the point?

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Sep 16, 2005 -> 07:09 AM)
Mark Buehrle is slowing his arm motion on his change up.  It has nothing to do with not being an Ace or being tired.  When you know what is coming, the odds are much better that you are going to hit it.  He needs to go back to the tape he watch of Santana and figure out what he was doing to tip off that pitch.

At least I'm not the only one who thinks Mark's problems are almost totally in his mechanics, and that it's not his arm being worn out or something else that wouldn't make sense given the pitcher we're talking about.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 16, 2005 -> 10:46 AM)
At least I'm not the only one who thinks Mark's problems are almost totally in his mechanics, and that it's not his arm being worn out or something else that wouldn't make sense given the pitcher we're talking about.

Actually it was your posts about his historical innings pitched that finished convincing me it was mechanical. If this were his first year of throwing a bunch of innings that would be one thing. He is way over 900 innings in the last 4 full years, so he is used to the work. Plus Mark was getting hit way to hard to be just having a bad outing. The Royals knew what was coming, that was obvious to me.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Sep 16, 2005 -> 10:15 AM)
Actually it was your posts about his historical innings pitched that finished convincing me it was mechanical.  If this were his first year of throwing a bunch of innings that would be one thing.  He is way over 900 innings in the last 4 full years, so he is used to the work.  Plus Mark was getting hit way to hard to be just having a bad outing.  The Royals knew what was coming, that was obvious to me.

Maybe pitching all those innings finally got to him. He has pitched the most innings since 2001, remember that. Guys can't consistantly pitch as many innings as he has for years without getting some type of injury or tired arm. This may be the year that he has it. Who knows?

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Sep 16, 2005 -> 01:32 PM)
Maybe pitching all those innings finally got to him. He has pitched the most innings since 2001, remember that. Guys can't consistantly pitch as many innings as he has for years without getting some type of injury or tired arm. This may be the year that he has it. Who knows?

Many guys have put much harder innings on their arms for much longer periods of time, and still been fine. Roger Clemens is still doing it at 15 years older than Buehrle.

And keep in mind a speed difference that you get from a tired arm isn't going to affect a guy like Mark Buehrle nearly as much as a guy who has a big fastball. Buehrle is all about placement and deception. Everyone in the world knows that his pitches aren't that great on their own. Its not like Bobby Jenks who can tell you his fastball is coming and you would still miss it. If you know Buehrle is throwing a fastball, it is pedestrian at best.

The thing that makes Buehrle hard to hit is not knowing whether you are getting a 90 mph fastball, or a 76 mph change up out of the same motion and release point. It is the speed differential that gets you, not the speed itself. If he had a dead arm, the speed on his fastball would be down into the mid 80s and its not.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Sep 16, 2005 -> 12:43 PM)
Many guys have put much harder innings on their arms for much longer periods of time, and still been fine.  Roger Clemens is still doing it at 15 years older than Buehrle.

And keep in mind a speed difference that you get from a tired arm isn't going to affect a guy like Mark Buehrle nearly as much as a guy who has a big fastball.  Buehrle is all about placement and deception.  Everyone in the world knows that his pitches aren't that great on their own.  Its not like Bobby Jenks who can tell you his fastball is coming and you would still miss it.  If you know Buehrle is throwing a fastball, it is pedestrian at best. 

The thing that makes Buehrle hard to hit is not knowing whether you are getting a 90 mph fastball, or a 76 mph change up out of the same motion and release point.  It is the speed differential that gets you, not the speed itself.  If he had a dead arm, the speed on his fastball would be down into the mid 80s and its not.

Isn't it fair to say that if you have a tired arm or injury that it messes up your mechanics?

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Sep 16, 2005 -> 01:49 PM)
Isn't it fair to say that if you have a tired arm or injury that it messes up your mechanics?

If he had a tired arm, it would show up on the radar gun, and it hasn't so far.

Also I am not sure what kind of mechanical problem due to a tired arm would cause you to slow your arm motion on a change up, but not on a fastball? His fastball is still hitting 89-91 consistantly on the gun, so he is still throwing his normal speeds.

I'm going to come to Mark's defense here. He's performed as well as or better than pretty much any pitcher in the AL this season. He has 15 wins, which ties him for 4th in the AL, and that could have been higher if he didn't get screwed out of a couple of wins earlier. His ERA is the third best among qualifying starters in the AL, and is only .04 higher than the great Johan Santana (by the way, it appears that Santana has a blister problem, so we may or may not see him Saturday, and he might not be at his best even if he starts). Also, his numbers could be even better if he were not victimized by some poor defense in previous starts. I don't really think he's been pitching that bad anyways. He was okay last night, but the defense didn't exactly do him any favors. Pretty much every time the runners were taking an extra base on the outfielders. Some of those balls shouldn't have been doubles, and some of those guys shouldn't have been able to score from first. If our guys throw out or hold just 2 or 3 of those guys, it might have been a different start. Was it Mark's best outing? No. Was it his worst? No. I personally didn't think either of his pitches that Brown hit for a double were that bad, but he hit them, and the outfielders made sure maximum damage was done. The guy has been a monster for us most of the season, and we're panicking about a couple of bad starts that are coming at the wrong time. As someone said, this isn't all Mark's fault. We do, however, need some solid performances from Mark, Jon, Freddy (who frankly I've been the most upset with recently), and everyone else in the near future.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 17, 2005 -> 01:05 PM)
Buehrle can shut teams down just as well as Santana did today (albiet, with fewer strikeouts.)

He just hasn't done it lately at all.

I don't think so. Buehrle always gives up hits and his K numbers are low. Buehrle is a strong benefactor of the players around him. Santana is a guy who could go and get k's for half the outs if need be. Buehrle is not in the same ballpark as Santana.

Mark has been giving up a lot more hits and base runners lately.

[/quote It was mentioned on the radio by Farmer the sox pitchers are not going inside as much throwing to both sides of the plate. When Buehrle hit hafner in the face he stopped going inside. He hasn't pitched with as much confidence since then. It is Mark's problem to solve but he needs to start going back inside.