Mark Buerhle's an Ace ????

spiderman

QUOTE(Toto Testosterone @ Sep 17, 2005 -> 04:06 PM)
Buerhle was not only an ace but AL's Cy Young.  About to go to 11-1 with a 2.30 ERA,...

Then he threw a DP into CF in Oakland, blowing a 2-0 lead in the process. Pretty much sucked thereafter.

I forgot about that game.. Remember when he won 15 straight middle of one season to the first half of another. He just needs a good win for a confidence boost. Kind a like when he faced the minimum against cleveleland last year.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Sep 16, 2005 -> 08:09 AM)
Mark Buehrle is slowing his arm motion on his change up.  It has nothing to do with not being an Ace or being tired.  When you know what is coming, the odds are much better that you are going to hit it.  He needs to go back to the tape he watch of Santana and figure out what he was doing to tip off that pitch.

Case in point.

Buehrle's consistant immunity is really getting out of hand. The guy deserves to be blasted right now. Until he proves otherwise, Buehrle is far from "ace" material.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Sep 15, 2005 -> 04:43 PM)
White Sox Josh also thinks Aaron Rowand is the second coming of Willie Mays. Do not mistake the rambling of one for the thoughts of an entire community.

when did i say this? He is a good player but im extremely disapointed with Rowand's offesnive production.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Sep 18, 2005 -> 11:29 AM)
Case in point.

Buehrle's consistant immunity is really getting out of hand.  The guy deserves to be blasted right now.  Until he proves otherwise, Buehrle is far from "ace" material.

Last time I checked, his era is 3.21.

If he was really getting bombed every outing, I'm sure his era would be much higher than that. Wouldn't it?

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Sep 19, 2005 -> 07:31 AM)
Last time I checked, his era is 3.21.

If he was really getting bombed every outing, I'm sure his era would be much higher than that. Wouldn't it?

That is quite a bit up from his low point in the season however, which was back in June I think. He was over half a point lower than that.

And when you have an ERA under 1 for the month of June...evne if you're pitching poorly, it's gonna take it a while to come back up.

All I know is that Buehrle better step up in this series. I love the guy, but he has wet himself in some big games, especially since he got rocked against the A's in the final game of the first half.

I'm not going to say if he's an ace or he isn't, but if he wants to be considered one then he better go out and shut down the Indians in a game that really matters.

I mean, beating up on the Royals and Tigers in June is nice and all, but I don't think you can call Buehrle a "big-game pitcher" yet. He has to earn that title. Starting this week.

look let's face it there are a lot of teams he would be the ace of:

Yankees

Red Sox

Devil Rays

Indians

Royals

Angels

A's

Mariners

Braves

Nationals

Phillies

Cubs

Brewers

Reds

Pirates

Rockies

Dodgers

Giants

Padres

Rangers

Diamondbacks

Tigers

Orioles

the only teams that aren't on the list are the Cardinals(Carpenter), Twins(Santana), Marlins(Willis), Houston (Clemens). That's pretty damn good in my opinion. Colon is so hit or miss. He will either pitch a gem or suck. Also even though im a huge Peavy fan he hasn't done what Buehrle has for the period of time Buehrle has. Right now Buehrle is on pace for 250 wins in his career. Peavy also pitches in a huge pitchers park.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Sep 20, 2005 -> 09:18 PM)
I just don't feel this is the thread to be bumped at the moment.  This isn't on Buehrle, we all knew Buehrle was done at that point of time.  Some reason Ozzie didn't know though.

Now that I've calmed down, I probably shouldn't have bumped this thread at the time, but Buehrle has to step up his game. He has pitched very poorly down the stretch and he and Garcia have been a big part of the Sox losing so much of the lead. For our supposed number 1 and 2 starters they sure haven't been pitching like it down the stretch. Also, in response to Josh's post, Buehrle is a very good pitcher and would be a #1 starter on a lot of teams but that doesn't make him an ace. There are very few aces in baseball and up to this point in his career Buehrle isn't one of them. Also, Peavy is better than Buehrle, Buehrle is more durable but thats about his only advantage over Peavy. Also, with Smoltz on the Braves and Pedro on the Mets I would hardly say Buehrle would be a lock to be the #1 on those teams. Same with Zambrano for the Cubs.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Sep 20, 2005 -> 10:52 PM)
look let's face it there are a lot of teams he would be the ace of:

Yankees

Red Sox

Devil Rays

Indians

Royals

Angels

A's

Mariners

Braves

Nationals

Phillies

Cubs

Brewers

Reds

Pirates

Rockies

Dodgers

Giants

Padres

Rangers

Diamondbacks

Tigers

Orioles

the only teams that aren't on the list are the Cardinals(Carpenter), Twins(Santana), Marlins(Willis), Houston (Clemens). That's pretty damn good in my opinion.  Colon is so hit or miss.  He will either pitch a gem or suck.  Also even though im a huge Peavy fan he hasn't done what Buehrle has for the period of time Buehrle has.  Right now Buehrle is on pace for 250 wins in his career.  Peavy also pitches in a huge pitchers park.

Lay off the Kool Aid Kid. I think the point was made HE'S NO ACE. Good pitcher yes. A good number 2, ACE? NOT A CHANCE IN HELL.

Giants Ace Jason Schmidt (Hurt this Year)

Cubs Ace like it or not is Prior

Angels? Colon and Lackey may say somethign about that

Red Sox? Schilling has sucked this year but he is an Ace

Yanks? Forgot a guy named Randy Johnson

Braves? John Smoltz and Tim Hudson will give ya a ride for your cash

Padres? What in the Heck is Peavy.

Brewers? Ben Sheets Baby (Of course he got hurt)

A's? Barry Zito, but i think he's more in Mark's mold

Potential Aces

Diamond Backs Brandon Webb

Royals Zack Greinke

Mariners Felix Hernandez

Tampa Bay Scott Kazmir

Pirates Oliver Perez

Nats John Patterson

Tigers Jeremy Bonderman

A's Rich Harden

QUOTE(whitesoxfan99 @ Sep 20, 2005 -> 11:13 PM)
Now that I've calmed down, I probably shouldn't have bumped this thread at the time, but Buehrle has to step up his game.  He has pitched very poorly down the stretch and he and Garcia have been a big part of the Sox losing so much of the lead.  For our supposed number 1 and 2 starters they sure haven't been pitching like it down the stretch.  Also, in response to Josh's post, Buehrle is a very good pitcher and would be a #1 starter on a lot of teams but that doesn't make him an ace.  There are very few aces in baseball and up to this point in his career Buehrle isn't one of them.  Also, Peavy is better than Buehrle, Buehrle is more durable but thats about his only advantage over Peavy.  Also, with Smoltz on the Braves and Pedro on the Mets I would hardly say Buehrle would be a lock to be the #1 on those teams.  Same with Zambrano for the Cubs.

Buehrle is much better than zambrano. Almost all of his stats are better. He also pitches in the AL which is a tougher league to pitch in. Also I didn't put the mets on that list. Pedro might be the best SP in the NL right now. Right now i would take Buehrle over Peavy. Im a huge Peavy fan though.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Sep 21, 2005 -> 04:06 PM)
Buehrle is much better than zambrano.  Almost all of his stats are better.  He also pitches in the AL which is a tougher league to pitch in.  Also I didn't put the mets on that list.  Pedro might be the best SP in the NL right now.  Right now i would take Buehrle over Peavy.  Im a huge Peavy fan though.

There's no one that hates the Cubs more than me, but I would take Zambrano over Buehrle in a second. Zambrano has shown more ability to dominate big games, and once his team gets a 4 run lead, that game is over. Of course, he's a f***ing nutcase, and I would never never trade Buehrle's personality for his.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Sep 20, 2005 -> 07:18 PM)
I just don't feel this is the thread to be bumped at the moment.  This isn't on Buehrle, we all knew Buehrle was done at that point of time.  Some reason Ozzie didn't know though.

Buehrle had thrown 103 pitches when he came out for the 7th. Pitch 108 left the ballpark. Everyone should have known what was coming. Cotts should have been out there to start the inning. With Clifford backing him up.

You make an Ace throw 103 hard pitches in 6 innings against a good hitting team, and then throw him out there for the 7th, you're asking for trouble.

Mark gave us a quality start last night, and that's what we needed from him. Ozzie killed off that quality start.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 21, 2005 -> 11:08 AM)
There's no one that hates the Cubs more than me, but I would take Zambrano over Buehrle in a second.  Zambrano has shown more ability to dominate big games, and once his team gets a 4 run lead, that game is over.  Of course, he's a f***ing nutcase, and I would never never trade Buehrle's personality for his.

Which begs the question ... Would you trade Buehrle for Zambrano?

QUOTE(JoshPR @ Sep 20, 2005 -> 11:39 PM)
Lay off the Kool Aid Kid. I think the point was made HE'S NO ACE. Good pitcher yes. A good number 2, ACE? NOT A CHANCE IN HELL.

Cubs Ace like it or not is Prior- All of Buehrle's stats are better than Prior's this year.  He is much better than Prior IMHO.

Angels? Colon and Lackey may say somethign about that- Colon maybe but not Lackey.

Red Sox? Schilling has sucked this year but he is an Ace- he has sucked this year.

Yanks? Forgot a guy named Randy Johnson- Buehrle has better stats

Brewers? Ben Sheets Baby (Of course he got hurt)

Potential Aces

Royals Zack Greinke

Mariners Felix Hernandez

Tampa Bay Scott Kazmir

Pirates Oliver Perez

Nats John Patterson

Tigers Jeremy Bonderman

A's Rich Harden

Cubs Ace like it or not is Prior- All of Buehrle's stats are better than Prior's this year. He is much better than Prior IMHO.

Angels? Colon and Lackey may say somethign about that- Colon maybe but not Lackey.

Red Sox? Schilling has sucked this year but he is an Ace- he has sucked this year.

Yanks? Forgot a guy named Randy Johnson- Buehrle has better stats

Brewers? Ben Sheets Baby (Of course he got hurt)- Never won 14 games but is a very good pitcher. Wouldn't take him over Buehrle just yet.

Potential Aces

Royals Zack Greinke- He has sucked this year

Mariners Felix Hernandez- He is a ROOKIE

Tampa Bay Scott Kazmir- Not a great year.

Pirates Oliver Perez- He has had a brutal year

Nats John Patterson- Huh? He is good because he pitches in the best pitchers park in baseball

Tigers Jeremy Bonderman- Again his stats are better.

A's Rich Harden- Has never sustained his success over a full season.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Sep 21, 2005 -> 04:11 PM)
Which begs the question ... Would you trade Buehrle for Zambrano?

Yes. There's a much better chance of Zambrano becoming a lights-out ace than Buehrle. Both have thrown a ton of pitches early in their career. Zambrano has that heavy sinker with the great velocity, and even on off nights, he can still keep the ball in the park.