Mark Buerhle's an Ace ????

spiderman

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 21, 2005 -> 11:12 AM)
Yes.  There's a much better chance of Zambrano becoming a lights-out ace than Buehrle.  Both have thrown a ton of pitches early in their career.  Zambrano has that heavy sinker with the great velocity, and even on off nights, he can still keep the ball in the park.

There is also a better chance of Zambrano becoming another Jaime Navarro.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes.  There's a much better chance of Zambrano becoming a lights-out ace than Buehrle.  Both have thrown a ton of pitches early in their career.  Zambrano has that heavy sinker with the great velocity, and even on off nights, he can still keep the ball in the park.

Buehrle has also done a good job of keeping the ball in the park considering he pitches in a great hitters park.

Zambrano isn't even the best pitcher on that team.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Sep 21, 2005 -> 04:14 PM)
Zambrano isn't even the best pitcher on that team.

He isn't? Besides the hype, he's consistently been better than Prior. And who cares who the best pitcher on the team is? Oswalt isn't the best pitcher on Houston....yet he's still damn good. There's no doubt in my mind that Garland has been our best pitcher this season.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 21, 2005 -> 11:16 AM)
He isn't?  Besides the hype, he's consistently been better than Prior.  And who cares who the best pitcher on the team is?  Oswalt isn't the best pitcher on Houston....yet he's still damn good. There's no doubt in my mind that Garland has been our best pitcher this season.

Nope neither of them. Greg Maddux. He leads that team in innings pitched, is second in wins, and has started every single game this year. Call me crazy but Maddux also does something else that is key. he keeps his head on straight and doesn't blow up when something goes wrong. Maddux has been their most consistent pitcher this year. He hasn't started as many games as Zambrano this year but i will bet you anything he will lead that team in IP. Edited by White Sox Josh

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Sep 21, 2005 -> 04:16 PM)
plus his physical issues with him being out of shape will hurt his career.  Plus he doesn't give you the innings that Buehrle does.

Zambrano pitches a s***load of innings, especially for a strikeout pitcher. It will be interesting to see if Zambrano loses 20 pounds like he wants to this offseason.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Sep 21, 2005 -> 04:17 PM)
Nope neither of them.  Greg Maddux.  He leads that team in innings pitched, is second in wins, and has started every single game this year.  Call me crazy but Maddux also does something else that is key.  he keeps his head on straight and doesn't blow up when something goes wrong.  Maddux has been their most consistent pitcher this year.

Wow, I must say, I completely disagree with that. Jake Westbrook has more wins and innings than Milwood this inning. Does that mean he's better than Milwood? Hell no!

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Sep 21, 2005 -> 09:17 AM)
Nope neither of them.  Greg Maddux.  He leads that team in innings pitched, is second in wins, and has started every single game this year.  Call me crazy but Maddux also does something else that is key.  he keeps his head on straight and doesn't blow up when something goes wrong.  Maddux has been their most consistent pitcher this year.

And if you had to pick the pitcher on the Sox staff who's stuff most resembles that of a young Greg Maddux...(possibly throwing with a different arm)...who would that be?

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Sep 21, 2005 -> 12:33 PM)
that will come over time.  He has more wins than Maddux does at the same points in their career.  We might be seeing something very special with Buehrle if he keeps up this pace.

Before this year started, I estimated how many wins Buehrle can get if he pitches until he's 40 with the same kind of success he's had so far. In the end, it came out to 328 career wins. I doubt he'll get there (especially if he can't beat playoff teams, ha), but it's a nice goal.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Sep 21, 2005 -> 11:35 AM)
Before this year started, I estimated how many wins Buehrle can get if he pitches until he's 40 with the same kind of success he's had so far.  In the end, it came out to 328 career wins.  I doubt he'll get there (especially if he can't beat playoff teams, ha), but it's a nice goal.

if he keeps up this pace he will. He has a big advantage because these innings that he throws won't hurt his arm that much because he isn't a power pitcher and has excellent mechanics.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Sep 21, 2005 -> 04:35 PM)
Before this year started, I estimated how many wins Buehrle can get if he pitches until he's 40 with the same kind of success he's had so far.  In the end, it came out to 328 career wins.  I doubt he'll get there (especially if he can't beat playoff teams, ha), but it's a nice goal.

Especially with Pujols on his team :P

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Sep 21, 2005 -> 11:06 AM)
Buehrle is much better than zambrano.  Almost all of his stats are better.  He also pitches in the AL which is a tougher league to pitch in.  Also I didn't put the mets on that list.  Pedro might be the best SP in the NL right now.  Right now i would take Buehrle over Peavy.  Im a huge Peavy fan though.

Actually, almost none of Buehrle's stats are better. Zambrano has lower BAA, OBPA, WHIP, more strikeouts, only one less wins, and a lower ERA. Peavy is a better pitcher than Mark without a doubt. The only reason I would possibly take Mark over Peavy is he throws more innings and is more durable. A healthy Peavy is better than Mark without a doubt though. Like I said, Mark would be a #1 starter for a lot of teams, but at this point in his career he isn't an ace.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan99 @ Sep 21, 2005 -> 12:05 PM)
Actually, almost none of Buehrle's stats are better.  Zambrano has lower BAA, OBPA, WHIP, more strikeouts, only one less wins, and a lower ERA.  Peavy is a better pitcher than Mark without a doubt.  The only reason I would possibly take Mark over Peavy is he throws more innings and is more durable.  A healthy Peavy is better than Mark without a doubt though.  Like I said, Mark would be a #1 starter for a lot of teams, but at this point in his career he isn't an ace.

You need to compensate for the difference between the NL and AL. In general, the ERA's in the AL are much higher than in the NL. Plus Zambrano gets gift outs and K's by pitching in the NL because of the pitchers hitting. Put Buehrle somewhere like Petco park and his ERA sinks to the mid 2's. Peavy is a stud, but Zambrano is way too inconsistent.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Sep 21, 2005 -> 12:20 PM)
You need to compensate for the difference between the NL and AL.  In general, the ERA's in the AL are much higher than in the NL. Plus Zambrano gets gift outs and K's by pitching in the NL because of the pitchers hitting. Put Buehrle somewhere like Petco park and his ERA sinks to the mid 2's. Peavy is a stud, but Zambrano is way too inconsistent.

That's true, but the post I was responding to said that nearly all of Mark's stats were better than Zambrano's.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Sep 21, 2005 -> 12:20 PM)
You need to compensate for the difference between the NL and AL.  In general, the ERA's in the AL are much higher than in the NL. Plus Zambrano gets gift outs and K's by pitching in the NL because of the pitchers hitting. Put Buehrle somewhere like Petco park and his ERA sinks to the mid 2's. Peavy is a stud, but Zambrano is way too inconsistent.

exactly. Plus Zambrano is so inconsistent. He goes through stretches where he is lights out and than stretches where he gets absolutley bombed. Buehrle at his worst will at least keep you in the game.