Game Thread -- Friday, September 16th

CWSGuy406

• Replies 666
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 16, 2005 -> 08:32 PM)
It starts with the Sox.  Good defense is just another obstacle they have to overcome.  KC played some real poor defense in the last series, but we just made stupider decisions and played even worse defense.

Not to mention the bang up job by the pitching staff.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Sep 16, 2005 -> 07:34 PM)
It might be nice if our hitters would take a pitch and make this kid work.  Arow, Uribe and others are swinging at the first pitch.  There was an inning earlier where it was 2 pitches and 2 outs.

Its an undisciplined offensive team. The manager was the same way when he played.

It's to a point where his CS are hurting us more than the SBs are helping us. Eventually, just let Scott get on base and use his speed not in stealing bases, but in getting from first to third on a single, putting on a hit-and-run, or scoring on a gapper.

I'm growing tired of all the outs made on the basepaths...

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Sep 17, 2005 -> 01:36 AM)

At some point, you just have to say enough already. If you want to put Pods in motion, then put the hit-and-run on. He isn't even coming close to stealing bases lately. I don't want to be rude about it, but Pods is an extremely below average player if he can't steal bases.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Sep 16, 2005 -> 06:34 PM)
It might be nice if our hitters would take a pitch and make this kid work.  Arow, Uribe and others are swinging at the first pitch.  There was an inning earlier where it was 2 pitches and 2 outs.

Our offense is just not that good. If our pitching and Defense doesn't step it up were going to be looking at a humiliating offseason.

Edited by CYGarland

QUOTE(CYGarland @ Sep 17, 2005 -> 01:38 AM)
Our offnse is just not that good. If our pitching and Defense doesn't step it up were going to be looking at a humiliating offseason.

I'm honestly not worried about the offseason. If this team does choke down the stretch, then we deserve anything bad that happens to us. Just remember this: no one really cares about the Sox. I know a lot of people think the national media will bury this franchise. In all honesty, the biggest concern for me is that the fan reaction for next season would be just awful, and attendance would really suffer.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Sep 16, 2005 -> 07:36 PM)
It's to a point where his CS are hurting us more than the SBs are helping us.  Eventually, just let Scott get on base and use his speed not in stealing bases, but in getting from first to third on a single, putting on a hit-and-run, or scoring on a gapper.

He's 4 out of his last 12 with a couple of pick offs. Its time for a stop sign.

QUOTE(CYGarland @ Sep 16, 2005 -> 06:38 PM)
Our offense is just not that good. If our pitching and Defense doesn't step it up were going to be looking at a humiliating offseason.

Frighteningly, our offense is actually not that bad, we're still like 12th or 13th in the league in runs scored. Not the Red Sox, but certainly not terrible.

The problem with our offense is that it is still hugely home-run driven...we're 3rd in teh AL in home runs, which is the antethisis of what Ozzie ball was supposed to be. We've been surprisingly bad this season at manufacturing runs against good pitching. When you look at a team like the Angels, who have scored virtually the same number of runs as us, they've done it with far fewer home runs, but a lot more base hits.

Our guys are swinging for the fences. When pitchers throw balls that they can hit, it works like dynamite. But when the pitcher moves things around and keeps our guys off balance, they look really bad, because they just have not been good at manufacturing things.