New Season

Texsox

How can anyone not feel good about a 17 game season and being given a 4.5 game head start, and playing your closest competitor 6 times?

This is sooo awesome

There isn't a fan on this board that wouldn't have gladly taken this position leaving Spring Training.

How about a season where we were in 1st Place the entire time?

Starting All-Star Pitcher?

Voting in Pods?

Possible Rookie of the Year?

Soxtalk poster BMAC3520 achieving a career goal. :D

Best record in the AL.

It's a new season starting today. I'm going to enjoy every last moment. Get your recorders going. It's the home stretch and it's going to be fun.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Sep 16, 2005 -> 09:53 AM)
How can anyone not feel good about a 17 game season and being given a 4.5 game head start, and playing your closest competitor 6 times?

This is sooo awesome

There isn't a fan on this board that wouldn't have gladly taken this position leaving Spring Training.

Voting in Pods?

Soxtalk poster BMAC3520 achieving a career goal.  :D

Best record in the AL.

It's a new season starting today. I'm going to enjoy every last moment. Get your recorders going. It's the home stretch and it's going to be fun.

Love the optimism...lets do it! :cheers

"There isn't a fan on this board that wouldn't have gladly taken this position leaving Spring Training."

Again, not the whole story.

At face value, YES, anyone would accept that.

However, without adding the part about the 15 game lead in August, the s***ty August BA and W-L, the mediocre second half by almost all the starters, the 5-game drop in the lead over the Indians in just over one week, etc etc, you're not telling the whole story.

Am I glad the Sox are still up 4 and 1/2 games? Yup.

Is 4 and 1/2 ahead better than 4 and 1/2 behind? Of course.

Does that 4 and 1/2 game lead feel insurmountable AT ALL? no.

Let me state once again for the record that I DO NOT want the Sox to fail, I am pulling for them 100% ( because it's impossible for me to pull for them MORE than 100% ), and I would LOVE to see them get rid of the f***ing Injuns.

But to say that I'm nervous about the lead right now is an understatement.

This is sooo awesome

Awesome it is, I just wish they were playing better baseball. The Sox win when they make few mistakes and take advantage of the other guys mistakes. They never really beat anyones brains out.

Its been the other way around lately, they find ways to give away a game instead of stealing it.

When the players stop trying to win 5 games every night, get back in the 'now' and just do their jobs things will turn around. I expect them to play better baseball, on both sides of the ball. The team has a way of responding when everyone counts them out.

Its been a great season, and the best is yet to come.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Sep 16, 2005 -> 11:10 AM)
"There isn't a fan on this board that wouldn't have gladly taken this position leaving Spring Training."

However, without adding the part about the 15 game lead in August, the s***ty August BA and W-L, the mediocre second half by almost all the starters, the 5-game drop in the lead over the Indians in just over one week, etc etc, you're not telling the whole story.

Let me state once again for the record that I DO NOT want the Sox to fail, I am pulling for them 100% ( because it's impossible for me to pull for them MORE than 100% ), and I would LOVE to see them get rid of the f***ing Injuns.

:cheers

QUOTE(The Critic @ Sep 16, 2005 -> 10:10 AM)

I agree man... I am pulling for the Sox like I have bee all season, but they have been playing like garbage lately, I can't ignore that.

I keep thinking the Indians are only going to lose 4 more games this season, 2 to the Sox and 1 each to Royals and TB.

That means Sox have 7 wins to get against Twins and Tigers... possible, but they have to snap out of it ASAP

b****ing about the season at this point, with the mountain of good to me is like complaining about a blemish on . I have spent too much time as a Sox fan in seasons that are over by now, to not want to enjoy this one. Usually this time of year we would be wondering about the September call ups.

Anyone want to post when the last time was that the Sox were in the playoffs twice in the same decade?

So I respect the fans who wish to wring their hands and concentrate and argue the 100 ways this team could fold and miss the playoffs. Those that want to assign blame before it happens. It seems like mental fan bulimia to me. Eat this great season and then puke it up before you even know what dessert will be? IF we miss the playoffs, I'll be puking with you, but until then, I'm as happy as can be. I still have a lot of faith in this team, holes and all.

Come October some of y'all may be happy saying I told you so. But the time you spent being happy will be far less than the time I've spent happy and excited about this season.

This is sooo awesome

Voting in Pods?

Best record in the AL.

Wait, we had the starting pitcher in the All Star Game? Well, now who cares about the playoffs, that's all that matters.

Pods, yeah he was amazing in that All Star outing in the outfield for one inning.

Rookie of the Year ... Ozzie won't even let Iguchi start on our team.

Best Record ---- Just wait.

QUOTE(retro1983hat @ Sep 16, 2005 -> 10:44 AM)
Rookie of the Year ... Ozzie won't even let Iguchi start on our team.

Iguchi wouldnt' have won even if Ozzie gave him the start all 162 games. Cano and Street have gotten so much more press coverage, Iguchi would have to challenge for the triple crown to get people's attention.

Best Record ---- Just wait.

Well, I guess the good news on this front is that Boston is falling off a bit as well...the Yankees are a measly 1.5 games behind them now.

I love your optimism Texsox. BUT the thought of us having a 14.5 game lead shrink to just 4.5 makes me want to cry. But i do agree. Its a new 17 game season- we have a 4.5 game lead in the Central. And its time to play good fundamental baseball and have fun. Don't play scared. You never know- maybe KC taking the last 2 games from us was a blessing in disguise. Now they are going into Cleveland on a high-note and maybe they can sneak out of there winning 2 games?!? After all Cleveland is much better on the road- than at home anyways.

Lets beat those damn Twinkies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :gosox1: :gosox1: :gosox1: :gosox1: :gosox2: :gosox3: :gosox4: :gosox3: :gosox2: :gosox1:

QUOTE(Texsox @ Sep 16, 2005 -> 02:53 PM)

This is sooo awesome

Voting in Pods?

Best record in the AL.

Well said. After looking at all the b****ing [and not getting much out of it] its good to see someone being practical and positive. My hats off to you :headbang

In reality, though, the Sox have a 5.5 game head start with 17 to play [as Cle. is 1 game up in the wild card]. Though backing into the playoffs vai the wildcard wouldn't be ideal. It would still get them a a 1 in 4 chance to make the world series

This is sooo awesome

Voting in Pods?

Best record in the AL.

you make a great point. this season has been nearly a dream so far. but god damn, if we could win the series, it would honestly be one of the sweetest moments of my life (probably for others on here too).

I love the optimism, but there are many reasons I don't feel good about the 17 game season and 4.5 game lead right now.

If tonight is a start of our return to excellence ... great, but there is good reason for concern!

GO SOX!